Dish's response to DirecTV's Free HD claim

Why would you need MRV & DECA to watch HD ? Oh thats right...you dont

As for the SWM they will give you the upgrade if you need it along with the receiver with a 24 month agreement :)

For just one TV this is true,but if you want to watch HD in more than one room,or DVR in more than one room these feature's costs can be additional costs.Which is something any subscriber to DirecTV or Dish should consider.:)

so you get another receiver which is $5 regardless if its a DVR or HD receiver
How much extra is that HD receiver or DVR unit on Dish? ;)

I agree except for one glaring fact that DIRECTV has right. IT DOES COST MORE with DISH for extra additional receiver fees. The difference between DIRECTV on its additional receiver fees- $5.00 for any extra receiver vs the varied pricing structure that DISH has come out with -$7.00 at the lowest all the way to $17.00 for extra dvr/receivers is striking in print comparison. When subs compare this on DIRECTV's website , this will scare many potential subs AWAY from DISH and to DIRECTV. Anyone that goes with DIRECTV and gets say 3 receivers, would only pay $ 10.00 extra a month. With DISH, it would cost you $14.00 a month if you just had a couple of extra hd receivers on your account and up to $34.00 extra a month ,if you had three dual tuner dvrs on your account.

so you get another receiver which is $5 regardless if its a DVR or HD receiver
How much extra is that HD receiver or DVR unit on Dish? ;)

The top post is your answer.:)

All I'm saying is DirecTV has their higher prices than Dish and Dish has their higher prices than DirecTV.Right now I have a Dish 625 running 2 TVs,but if I would have HD I would have 1 722k and have HD for the livingroom and SD for the bedroom even if the bedroom TV was HD.But the bedroom TV would have to be under 40" because that is what is recommended to not see the higher definition difference.;)

Last edited:
I agree except for one glaring fact that DIRECTV has right. IT DOES COST MORE with DISH for extra additional receiver fees. The difference between DIRECTV on its additional receiver fees- $5.00 for any extra receiver vs the varied pricing structure that DISH has come out with -$7.00 at the lowest all the way to $17.00 for extra dvr/receivers is striking in print comparison. When subs compare this on DIRECTV's website , this will scare many potential subs AWAY from DISH and to DIRECTV. Anyone that goes with DIRECTV and gets say 3 receivers, would only pay $ 10.00 extra a month. With DISH, it would cost you $14.00 a month if you just had a couple of extra hd receivers on your account and up to $34.00 extra a month ,if you had three dual tuner dvrs on your account.

But then when you consider that the Duo receivers and Duo DVRs operate 2 TVs one HD the other SD it makes the reason why a little bit more clear just to guess this might be the reason Dish was able to drop the price of their America's Everything package.:)

The TV ad

Has anyone noticed that on the TV ad with the two guys in space suits that on the bottom there is a statement that the "Free HD for Life" is a promotion that expires on 9/10?

The average customer would save money with dish via the receiver fees.....as was already explained in an earlier post.

As an installer, most of the homes I enter only have one or two hdtvs at the most.....and most don't typically care about dvr or hd at both locations.....

Granted its cheaper with Direct (rcvr fees wise) if you're going all out with like 3 or more hdtvs and such but the typical consumer imo doesn't have 3 hdtvs (and even if they do) don't always care about them being fed an hd signal....couple that with the fact that some of the tvs are so small the difference is not visible.......

to each their own......however in all fairness i really wish dish would wise up to the fact that no one wants to pay an extra 3 bucks per receiver for dvr service when we are already paying 6 for the whole account......that is double dipping and direct is much better in regards to that.

one last note.....the directv ad is a bit more misleeading regarding the dish promotion than dish's ad imo......totally unfair to the consumer to make some of the statements.....

Has anyone noticed that on the TV ad with the two guys in space suits that on the bottom there is a statement that the "Free HD for Life" is a promotion that expires on 9/10?

What's your point? It's the same thing every year. Dish's promotions change close to the same time every year.

DirecTV's response to Dish's free HD for life

One of the differences is that Direct does not require paperless billing, while Dish does.

Also, Dish does not require autopay or paperless billing if you pay the $99.

In D* response to E* Free HD for Life, D* appears to be a little misleading with Autopay...D* states that you must have Autopay for FHDFL, but then in the chart D* indicates that it will cost a E* subscriber $99 for FHDFL if they don't have Autopay & Paperless Billing, but 0 cost under D*...except that D* doesn't allow subscribers to get FHDFL w/o Autopay...in a way, IMO, this makes E* offer a plus for their subscribers because it gives them one more option to get FHDFL.
Ghpr13:)

The Guns are out.

Didn't take long but Directv is coming out swinging saying they have the better deal on Free HD.

DIRECTV offers the most full-time HD channels of any satellite or cable TV provider, the most movies in 1080p HD and the most sports in HD. And now DIRECTV HD is FREE for life for new customers! DISH Network wants to mislead you with their HD channel count by including video-on-demand titles that aren't even channels. And now they're saying they offer free HD. Did you know that you'll pay up to $17 for every additional receiver with DISH Network? And if you don't sign up for automatic payments and want to receive bills in the mail, you'll pay $99 up front for their "free HD." They also make you pay your first month's bill even before your service begins! DISH Network's "free HD" doesn't look so free after all.

DISH Network's HD may cost you

DISH Network's new "free HD promotion" may seem like a good deal, but in the end it's going to cost you. When you sign up for DISH Network, you're in for more than you bargained for:
Pre-Paying for Your Service: DISH Network requires you to pay your first month bill before your service even begins.
Higher Receiver Fees: DISH Network's receiver lease fees vary in price from $7 to $17. DIRECTV's additional receiver fee is always lower — just $5, no matter which receiver you choose.
Paperless Billing: To get free HD, DISH Network will no longer send you a hard copy of your bill.
$99 Fee: Customers who still want to receive a paper copy of their bill or do not register for auto bill pay will be charged a $99 upfront fee to receive
free HD.

For Directv you need to be a new customer

DIRECTV has more full-time HD channels than any satellite or cable TV provider — and now DIRECTV HD is FREE for as long as you're a DIRECTV customer. DISH Network claims to offer free HD but did you know that if you want to receive bills in the mail and you don't sign up for automatic payments, you'll be charged $99 up front?

To be eligible for Free HD for Life you must be a new customer and activate and maintain the CHOICE package or above, at least one (1) HD receiver, HD Access and enrollment in Auto Bill pay. <- What about current customers?

Directv and Dish Network seem like David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. Needlessly feuding, when they can just agree that they are both better than cable by a long shot. The only saving grace for cable is faster internet.

Directv / Dish Network, YMMV, but we both kick cable's butt.

"What about current customers?"

Well, the ones with HD and Platinum get it automatically.

I believe he meant what about current Directv Customers, as the ad talks exclusively about "new" customers.

Yeah that's what I mean. Almost 95% of current Dish customers get the new free HD (even if our bills aren't getting cheaper) where looks like Direct is screwing over current customers so they will be paying $10.00 more then any new customers Direct picks up. That was my point to it all.

Last edited:
You have to admire the balls on D after they just got their butts summarily handed to them with a big red bow and a kiss...

Those are some VERY weak talking points. Right up there with "your tie is ugly!".

Clearly D* is on the defensive and reacting to the latest E* marketing campaigns and initiatives.

Based on quarterly sub adds for E* the last few quarters it has D* really looking in their rear view mirror a lot.

Let's hope E* keeps up the pressure and D* keeps matching what E* does.

The competition can only be good for sat subs from both companies in the end.

Don't diminish Cable's part in this. Time Warner has had "no cost" HD for some time and around "check day" or moving day there were as many as 5 of their trucks in the neighborhood for their "gaurenteed on time" service.

Last edited:
DTV makes some good points, Compare my bill I switched in March back to DTV here is the diffence in billing. Yes i called and I am getting free HD 10 off as of yesterday

Dish

4 receivers 2 x 722 622 612

fees 17.00 + 17.00 + 10.00 + 6.00 dvr fee = 50.00 equipment and fees

DTV

4 receivers hr24 hr 23 2 x hr 22

fees 5.00 + 5.00 +5.00 + 7.00 dvr + 3.00 mvr fee = 25.00

25.00 a month difference 300.00 a year. So if I DTV I would shout that from the mountain tops. One other discount I get another discount from DTV of 10.00 for have HSI from Comcast. I guess that is their way of fight triple play from cable. I am not trying to bash one company over another but fees charges can not be reduceds like a program package can be. 300.00 a year for just fees is a lot of coins. So beware of LOW PRICE LEADERS in all walks of life.

... Did you know that you'll pay up to $17 for every additional receiver with DISH Network? ...

Higher Receiver Fees: DISH Network's receiver lease fees vary in price from $7 to $17. DIRECTV's additional receiver fee is always lower — just $5, no matter which receiver you choose. ...

Hey, DirecTV took my advice. At the beginning of the year when the new receiver costs were announced, I said they should capitalize on the very high receiver costs from Dish. It looks like they're finally doing that.

However, what they state is not really very accurate. Let's say, for example, you have 2 TV's, an HDTV, and an SDTV, and you want to choose a SAT provider. This statement by DirecTV is somewhat misleading, in that with Dish, you'd only need one receiver (722, 622) to accommodate both TV's. So with Dish, the equipment cost is nothing, since your first receiver is free, and it can run both of your TV's, while with DirecTV, your cost would be $5.00.

Then, consider the fact that each of the Dish receivers can run 2 rooms, and you realize that the equivalent comparison for DirecTV is $10.00 ($5.00 x 2 receivers) to Dish's $17.00. That's still 70% more, but is a fair amount less than the 340% that DirecTV is claiming.

I guess that's why they call it marketing... :rolleyes:

Directv and Dish Network seem like David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. Needlessly feuding, when they can just agree that they are both better than cable by a long shot. The only saving grace for cable is faster internet.

Directv / Dish Network, YMMV, but we both kick cable's butt.

I agree. I think Dish should start changing their marketing to show how they blow away the cable companies and act as if Directv doesn't even exists (or at least not a major player). Before they can do that, Dish needs to figure out how they can offer a way for lower income families to be able to get their equipment.

I'm disable and my wife works 2 jobs. Now we pay all our bills on time and we budget our money well, but we don't have any credit cards, just a debit card. When I wanted to get Dish, they refused to take my debit card for security against their equipment, but I could use the debit card to purchase their equipment for a little over $500.00.
Now, D* had no problem with my debit card...but D*'s programming really didn't suit me because I'm not into sports. Long story short, I was able to get a very good friend of mine to secure E*'s equipment with his CC, while I paid the monthly bill using autopay.
If my buddy wouldn't have helped me out, I'd probably still be with Insight!:eek:

Ghpr13:)

Before they can do that, Dish needs to figure out how they can offer a way for lower income families to be able to get their equipment.
I think the problem is that Sat TV isn't exactly cheap and they can only go so low. The equipment is expensive. Then some have the unfortunate Catch-22 to get started. The odd thing is that I just recently used my Debit Card to secure the equipment upgrade with Dish, but I've been with Dish for 18 months, so maybe that is why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts