DIY C-band dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I kinda see her point. In out neighborhood I only saw one c-band dish. Also we are known as the crazy antenna house. But I’ll still put it up, even if SWMBO doesn’t agree.

Reactions: FTA4PA
My wife was the same way and said she would never understand how to work it.
Now she watches and changes satellites just fine. She will even mess with the ASC1 if she thinks she can get a better signal.
You just have to do it and let them see what it is all about.

My mom is the same way I am mini budder. My mom hated my dish setup at first then once she seen what I could get she liked it. Mom has a receiver in her room so she can watch her tv antenna and FTA satellite system from her room. I have one in my room and one in the living room so its nice to go from one room to another and see what's on.

Reactions: FTA4PA
"The two bud family"

My wife didn't want a bud. No way, no how, not needed. Period!

So I got one that much sooner. I showed her who is boss! ;)

Before I knew it... I could not longer watch tv when she was at home.

So I mentioned a second bud for her in the bedroom.

She didn't want it. No way, no how, not needed.Period!

So I got the second bud that much sooner.I showed her who is boss! ;)

Told her to go to the bedroom if she wants to watch tv.

After a few days... she returned to watching tv on the dish in the den.

And hides/loses the dang remote when she isn't watching it.

I'm re-thinking the whole 'boss' thing.
:deadhorse2

Never give in, buy a 2nd remote and hide it. :clapping I have spare remotes for all my receivers. When I insist on watching what I want in the living room, she usually wins out because I have a habit of falling asleep before the end of the movie. :facepalm That's one of the things that sucks about getting old. Comfort plus warmth equals ZZZZZZZ's! I told my wife I wanted to die peacefully in my sleep, not kicking and screaming like the passengers in my car. :)

Well, I kinda see her point. In out neighborhood I only saw one c-band dish. Also we are known as the crazy antenna house. But I’ll still put it up, even if SWMBO doesn’t agree.

Take a look at my profile picture. There are 4 dishes visible, and one up behind my building. This spring, I'm going to paint them all camouflage to make them blend in better. I'll probably spend the whole summer picking up dead birds that fly into them. My wife asked the other day how many more dishes I intend to install. I told her I have an 8 way switch, with three empty ports....does that answer your question? :oldwink

I got that look.......... :mad You know, the one that turns your blood cold. Maybe it was the way I said it?

I was reading old threads today and found something interesting. The threads from 2008 (before DVB-S2) a 6 foot dish used to be considered “big enough”. But now a 6 foot dish is considered too small? Even an 8 foot is considered small. So, why since DVB-S2 you need a bigger dish? Is it because they now broadcast at a lower frequency?

my understanding is that DVB-S2 is a lot more efficient than DVB-S, but DVB-S is more robust than DVB-S2, meaning it's more tolerant of imperfections in the reception, particularly when DVB-S2 uses 8PSK modulation, so a better reception is required for good results with DVB-S2, hence the larger dish requirement.

A bit like you can drive an ATV on rough terrain but a fancy car will usually require a nice wide road.

Are there any good temporary mounts for a C-Band dish? This mount is for an 8 footer though. Mine will be 10 feet. I don’t feel like drilling holes this winter and spring so I want to keep my dish up on a mount until July or August.
IMG_4102.jpg

Are there any good temporary mounts for a C-Band dish? This mount is for an 8 footer though. Mine will be 10 feet. I don’t feel like drilling holes this winter and spring so I want to keep my dish up on a mount until July or August. View attachment 130865

Yes there are, but they are very expensive. It's not the fact that the dish and mount weighs all that much, it's WIND LOAD. Which can blow the whole dish across your yard if it gusts up around 40-50mph. That could be as much as 400-500 lbs of wind load...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)