Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonyajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 15, 2009
New Mexico
We live in NM, we have a couple of enrironmental issues to deal with; Wind and Heat and bees.

During a wind storm a couple of months ago, we had 65 mph winds and it blew our plastic cover off the LNBF
We only found the cover today. Want to put it back on but want to use some sort of a glue/adhesive (to tact in maybe 4 places to hold it in place).

Our main concern is the heat and not to use too much adhesive or the right adhesive that it will interfere with the electrons. We don't want a bee family moving in from South America either without the cover

Any recommendations as to what we can use to hold the cover in place without goofing up th electrons inside to LNBF

Thank you very much

Last edited:
I would try inserting the cover first and just add a very small amount of crazy glue in two places where the cover meets the feed horn. This would allow the glue to be scratched away in the future if the cover needs to be removed. I did that to one of my old C-band feed horns a few years ago and worked until I replaced it with a newer c/ku feed. Held up from -40F to 110F in all sorts of wind and precip. Should work for you too.
Best of luck..
-C.

We are concerned with the outside temperature being 110-115 degrees (in the summer months) and the sun beating down on the DMX 741 easily being 180 degrees + and finding a glue/sealant being able to with stand that temp

I use regular old GE clear RTV as a gasket on the exhaust header flanges on my Race engine with zero problems so I doubt that your LNBF will see that kind of heat. We see exhaust gas temps up in the 1300* range.

i don't ever use feed covers....seven years outside in wind and rain and no problems..be sure coax is sealed.
feed covers have been thought to actually increase the lnb temps ...different ppl have different opinions.

As far as attaching the LNBF cover to the plate, I've had to use a longer, more "standard" nosecone on my birdvew conversions. I run long wire-ties (zip ties) around the supports (BV has 6 total) to the holes in the side of the cover! Holds nicely. Tight as you can get, but easily cut and re-attached. And, though it does not fit perfectly, the bottom is open for moisture to drip "out" and can be sealed in the summer with silicone. Meanwhile, no weather on the components. And, the birdview "perf" (black) dishes had black nosecones of plastic with no problems on heat, either that we were ever aware of as retailers.

Attachments

• DSC07026.JPG
    DSC07026.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I made a cover from a 2 liter bottle for a DMX741. Have yet to see how well it will work, field test it.

Attachments

• SAM_0007.JPG
    SAM_0007.JPG
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 142
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)