DMX741 Universal LNBF Options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Same here, lots of snow but it is the ice buildup on the dish that really created the problem. My wife keeps telling me to go spray it with PAM. Thought I'd read that won't work for very long?

I've heard that PAM is the worst thing you can use on a dish, since it leaves a nasty residue. RainX is recommended by many, although I don't know how well it works with snow.

you always have that snake oil you got from someone else ;)

But honestly the easiest thing is sweeping it off. I've tried most everything on my 6 footer to keep it clean. Had to clean the 5 inches of snow we got this morning off the 6 footer

The guy I bought this from sent me a replacement, this time a Universal version. Nice of him to do that. One of the connectors broke off and he didn't argue at all, just sent me another one.

Anyways, decided I have nothing to lose by using it til I can fix my KU. I put it back in, W5 coming in nice and strong but what's really weird is that practically all channels that I pick up are always just TVCh or SNG for the most part, and that's on several of the satellites I scan.

That make any sense to anyone?

What specific satellite and band are you scanning?

Sounds like you are scanning the circular subscription satellites (Dish, ExpressVu, etc.) Do the channels come in or are they scrambled? If in the clear, what are the channels?

I've tried almost all of the satellites but I'll post a message with more details shortly. The LNBF is now a Universal C-KU so DMX741U.

Here's an example of what I'm doing.
I have the new LNBF installed, getting good strong W5 signals which is how I 'tuned' it while I was outside. Since I don't have a meter, I use the W5 channel 240/241 to tune in the best signal I can.

I've defaulted the geosat so there's nothing in there for settings.
I unplugged the motor controller as well when I reset the geo.

My default starting point is always 105W for my W5 service which is the first setting I save in my Satellite list for positions.

From there, I'll pick 103W AMC1-K.. I change the LNB settings to Universal, 9750/10750. The C band side is already correct at Standard 5150.
I go into the Motor Settings, change motor to diseqc 1.2 but motoring doesn't work.
I switch to the C-band side and motoring now works.
I find nothing so add TP 4091 V 14029 using the Manual Search menu.
I go back to Motor Setting and try to move the motor but now the motor doesn't move again.
I turn the geo off, then back on, it says it's going to AMC1-C but the motor doesn't move.
I unplugged the motor controller and was able to get it to work with the geo again.
After I started motoring to find 103W again, motor stopped responding.

This sort of thing keeps going on and on, one weird thing after another. Seems to be related to when I'm using this LNBF.
Most of the time it's operator error in that I'm not aware of some function that the device might have or new function because of firmware changes but what about this?

Did I leave anything out that I need to post?

Last edited:
Strange, one minute motor works, the next it doesn't. Seems to have something to do with switching between KU and C-band.
Something else that happened this morning, out of the blue, one side of W5 went missing again. Only one side is coming in. 240 is not, but 241 is. I went outside to tune the dish positions and that made no difference at all, no signal seen on 240 yet very strong signal on 241.

I'm going to change that LNBF back out to the dual C-band again and see if the craziness stops.

Last edited:
Strange, one minute motor works, the next it doesn't. Seems to have something to do with switching between KU and C-band.
Both the C-band dish position number must be saved and the KU-band dish position number must be saved. A single satellite will require two dish positions (one for each band).

This sounds like you have saved the satellite position in one band, but not the other band.

Something else that happened this morning, out of the blue, one side of W5 went missing again. Only one side is coming in. 240 is not, but 241 is. I went outside to tune the dish positions and that made no difference at all, no signal seen on 240 yet very strong signal on 241.

• Is this with the GEOSATpro powered OFF and the 4DTV is controlling the polarity? Sounds like the 4DTV unit is not able to provide the correct voltage to control the LNBF polarity selection.
  • Do 240 and 241 both work if only the 4DTV is connected directly to the C-band output of the LNBF?
  • Does the voltage change at the LNBF when changing between 240 and 241 when the GEOSATpro is not inline?
  • Does the voltage change at the LNBF when changing between 240 and 241 when the GEOSATpro is inline, but powered OFF?

>This sounds like you have saved the satellite position in one band, but not the other band.

Yes, I save both sides when I was able to find channels. Haven't found much in a while though. Like I said, pretty much the main channels that come in are SNG and TVCh. Before all of these problems, I was able to pick up quite a large number of channels. In fact, Tony even scanned some in, quite a few of them.

>Is this with the GEOSATpro powered OFF and the 4DTV is controlling the polarity? Sounds like the 4DTV unit is not able
>to provide the correct voltage to control the LNBF polarity selection.

I've never powered the geo off before but doing this instantly fixed that problem.
Now on 240, I'm getting 73 signal and on 241 I'm seeing 53.

>
[*]Do 240 and 241 both work if only the 4DTV is connected directly to the C-band output of the LNBF?
>
[*]Does the voltage change at the LNBF when changing between 240 and 241 when the GEOSATpro is not inline?
>
[*]Does the voltage change at the LNBF when changing between 240 and 241 when the GEOSATpro is inline, but powered OFF?

Do you still want me to test these things or does the test I just ran confirm the problem?

I've never powered the geo off before but doing this instantly fixed that problem.
Now on 240, I'm getting 73 signal and on 241 I'm seeing 53.

Remember that you are slaving the 4DTV to the GEOSATpro master and unless the GEOSATpro is powered OFF, the 4DTV cannot select the polarity. If the GEOSATpro (master) is powered ON, then the 4DTV (slave) only can receive channels that are on the polarity selected by the GEOSATpro (master) receiver.

"SNG" channel names are actual channel names provided by the uplinker.
  • What Satellite are you on when you scan these channels?
  • Is there programming on these channels?
  • What is the programming if it is available?

"TV Chan" is displayed if the uplinker does not provide a Service Name, The Service Name is not properly referenced in the PMT or the Signal Quality is to low to scan and add to the list.
  • What Satellite are you on when you scan these channels?
  • Is there programming on these channels? TV or Radio?
  • What is the programming that you see or hear if it is available?

Before all of these problems, I was able to pick up quite a large number of channels. In fact, Tony even scanned some in, quite a few of them.
There are too many variables to provide the reason why channels aren't coming in now, but might include:
  • LNB LO frequency setting is not correct
  • LNB LO frequency has drifted
  • Skew not aligned
  • Dish not aligned

If you provide specific examples of a band, satellite and a channel that you scanned in including the service name, scanned frequency and poarity we might be able to tell you what satellite and LO, polarity settings are correct or incorrect.

Did you install the Dielectric Slab into the feedhorn? If so, remove it.

>Remember that you are slaving the 4DTV to the GEOSATpro master and unless the GEOSATpro is powered OFF, the 4DTV cannot select the
>polarity. If the GEOSATpro (master) is powered ON, then the 4DTV (slave) only can receive channels that are on the polarity selected
>by the GEOSATpro (master) receiver.

Ok, so from now on, when I want to have W5, I need to power off the geo. Simple enough, not a big problem

>"SNG" channel names are actual channel names provided by the uplinker.

Yes, I know, a sports network I believe.

>
[*]What Satellite are you on when you scan these channels?
>
[*]Is there programming on these channels?
>
[*]What is the programming if it is available?

Yes, the ones which are live have various sports events on them.
I'll make a list of what I've scanned later on and post it.

>If you provide specific examples of a band, satellite and a channel that you scanned in including the service name, scanned frequency and
>poarity we might be able to tell you what satellite and LO, polarity settings are correct or incorrect.

Yes, I meant to do that already but haven't had the chance. Or, I could always post my geosat file generated using the tool? Would that be ok?

>Did you install the Dielectric Slab into the feedhorn? If so, remove it

Nope, nothing but the LNBF.

BTW, is the reverse true also then? Should I turn off the 410 when I'm trying to use the geo?
Kinda sounds like I need to get a switch no?

So here's what I'm trying at the moment.

I go into Satellite list and pick G23-C at 121W.
LNB type is Standard, 5150.
I check mark it and go into motor settings.
I enable motoring, diseqc 1.2
Usually, this immediately moves the motor but this time it doesn't. Motor is still on W5.
I hit W to move the motor and nothing happens. Motor is not moving again.
Restarted the receiver and motor, no difference.

Finally, discovered something interesting.

When I try to motor while on ANY TP which is H, motor doesn't work.
When I set the TP to ANY Vertical TP, then the motor works.

BTW, is the reverse true also then? Should I turn off the 410 when I'm trying to use the geo?
Kinda sounds like I need to get a switch no?

Not a bad idea to turn off the 4DTV when not using, but the GEOSATpro should voltage block the 4DTV. No need for a switch if you know how your equipment interacts with each other.

This issue goes back to a few months ago when I suggested that you test the voltage at the LNBF with the GEOSATpro powered OFF and the 4DTV on 240 and 241, then test the voltage at the LNBF with the GEOSATpro power ON and placed on Vertical and a Horizontal channels.

discovered something interesting.

When I try to motor while on ANY TP which is H, motor doesn't work.
When I set the TP to ANY Vertical TP, then the motor works.

Confirmed that the GEOSATpro DSR-R100 firmware controls DiSEqC 1.2 motor in both Horizontal and Vertical, so you will need to look at how other equipment interacts with your receivers. Check for correct power and DiSEqQ 1.2 commands at the GEOSATpro receiver SAT IN, at the GBox, to the motor and the LNBF using both a vertical and horizontal TP/channels.

I could always post my geosat file generated using the tool? Would that be ok?
No, not interested in the satellite / transponder file list. We need to know if the channels that you receive are on the transponder frequencies published or if they are hundreds or thousands of MHz off.... This might indicate if this is a menu setting error or????

Pretty sure I had posted my findings on the voltage didn't I?
Either way, it worked when it had the old firmware on it so let me give that a try and see what happens. Maybe it's like you say, just something little mismatch somewhere in the gear.

No, not interested in the satellite / transponder file list. We need to know if the channels that you receive are on the transponder frequencies published or if they are hundreds or thousands of MHz off.... This might indicate if this is a menu setting error or????

Ok, so for example, I was able to scan in some channels on 135W, AMC10-C. Not many open channels but Sprout and Bloomburg and G4 encoded audio are some of the channels that showed up. The rest were all encrypted. I ended up on 135W while trying to figure out the motor problem and the dish was already in that area.
I keep trying to find that motherload on 121W and 116W for example but nothing much comes up lately. I'll give that another try soon and post what I find.

Ok, so for example, I was able to scan in some channels on 135W, AMC10-C. Not many open channels but Sprout and Bloomburg and G4 encoded audio are some of the channels that showed up. The rest were all encrypted.

What channels are you trying to receive on AMC10 C-band? Only a few channels are available in MPEG2 on AMC10 C-band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)