DMX741 Universal LNBF Options

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What channels are you trying to receive on AMC10 C-band? Only a few channels are available in MPEG2 on AMC10 C-band.

Nothing specific, just looking for any open channels on any satellite. Have been keeping notes on findings after firmware update. Quite interesting, will post it soon.

Sorry, I've not done anything else on this yet, been too busy with other things. Channels which were not showing up before are now showing up when I scan but certainly nothing like when I didn't have the C/KU installed. I'll post more when I have it.

One thing that dawns on me today in terms of picking up very little for CKU other than W5. Skew. When I went out there to change the LNBF, it was very cold and it's very windy in our back yard so I didn't pay attention to the input Tonys gave me.

>If you got the 741 there should be on the KU end of the LNB a 30//////0//////30 markings which is skew.
>Unlike the 242 you have there right now the 741 skew is legit. So 0 skew is top or bottom (12 or 6) NOT
>90 degrees off. Make sure you are on 93W (true south satellite) before replacing the LNB to make it easier to line up

I'm not really sure where the 0 lines up at the moment but I'll go check that today.
Would it be possible that having the skew in another direction, able to get W5 but very little else.

I mean seriously, I cannot pick up ANYTHING for KU and barely anything for C.

Where, approximately should my 0 position be to pick up W5 and FTA?
I believe mine is 0 = about 7 o'clock or so.

Last edited:
SATire said:
Where, approximately should my 0 position be to pick up W5 and FTA?
I believe mine is 0 = about 7 o'clock or so.

When the dish is aimed at true south the 0 will be aimed at either the 12 or 6 o'clock positions. This is a starting position and slight fine tuning on the skew and the FD to provide optimized SQ readings.

You will need to either have a receiver and a TV at the dish or a signal meter with Signal Quality readings displayed to set the FD and skew. C-band settings are slightly more forgiving than KU and you may find that the KU and C-bands require different FD placement to optimize the SQ. Trial and error adjustments will find the setting that provides good SQ on both bands.

Ya, without a meter, all I can really go for is the W5 bird since I can get a signal and watch channels 240/241 to tune in.
I think I'm going to have to give up once and for all on the CKU idea and get back to C only on that dish at least.

I seem to have misplaced my note but what's the best 0 position to start when I put the 742 back in place, in order to get W5 and as good I can on C?

Sorry, I mean the 242 C-Band.

>242 is 3:00/9:00 on the "clock" for true south[/QUOTE]

Ok, 0 is pointing to either 3 or 9 as it's starting position.
Thanks, I think I'll try and change it out this afternoon.
Getting fully separated feeds into the receivers will make things right again.
I wish I could have gotten the CKU to work but maybe next summer I'll get a meter and give it another try.

Well, it's done, the dual c-band is back in there, strongest signal I've ever gotten too. So now the geo and the 410 have their own coax connections again.
I'll do some scanning when I get a bit of time and see what happens after resetting the geo once more.

Just noticed that motor movement is back when on a V TP. That seems to be because of the changing of LNB since the problem was still there after the firmware downgrade.

Wow, I'm able to motor all the way E to 55.5W and get signals on Intel805. I better check my limits soon to make sure I don't push that motor too far as I'm not sure that could damage it or if it would simply not go any further.

I am just East of you, and get 43west to 139west with 24" Heavy Duty arm.
Make sure that the Arm does not bind to the Mount.

Cool, I'll have to take a closer look at that motor then. It's only an 18" but now I see why a long arm would be good. I guess that's depending on what's up there I'm not getting at.
Also, as an update to my post, tons of channels are coming in again now.

Just wanted to finish off this thread since it's sort of left hanging.

Bottom line is I believe the LNBF to be at fault. I mean, it's always possible that the receiver doesn't play well with some hardware but there were too many things that were strange which seemed to go away after I changed back out to the old dual.

I might give that LNBF another try next summer but I suspect I will simply sell it. Maybe it'll work better on a larger dish and maybe it's my dish itself since I do believe it's bent after all. Either way, sounds like it's better to use a small dish for KU so very happy to have gotten mine working again.

Thanks for all of the help and sorry that it ends up being rather inconclusive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)