does anyone remember the Ohio News Network?

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
Do you remember the Ohio News Network based in Columbus, OH? it was being fed on the North American side of Orion 1 (Ku-band only), it had daily newscasts (Ohio This Morning, Ohio Today, Ohio Tonight, etc...) along with rebroadcasts of newscasts from Ohio TV stations (WBNS Columbus (CBS), WEWS Cleveland (ABC), WKRC Cincinnati (CBS), WTVG Toledo (ABC) etc...) as well as statewide stories from other stations. So tell me what do you think?

Last edited:
Oh, but that would be when the satellite launched into orbit in late 2007, until that it was fed on Orion 1, transponder 22 at 37w (1998), I but I'd wonder what else was on the satellite? (aside from ONN, WNPA Pittsburgh and WMHQ Albany, NY)

Last edited:
I miss the days when we had AMC6 at 72*, SBS, and also the 83 birds as well I believe activity at 85.

Now that my due south is 85, It would be nice to have some birds to my east to scan in! Lol. All my birds are on my west end! I have nothing at all on my eastern arc!

I remember ONN, didn't remember or care where it was located, sort of moot since it's been gone forever.....
I also remember Orion, they had two channels as I remember, I assume east and west.
I really wouldn't know, as they were both scrambled. Also, I have no clue where they were, nor do I care.....

Edit:
Now the Orion I'm referring to was a movie channel. I don't remember a specific satellite named Orion....

Reactions: primestar31
I do remember Orion 1 - an Atlantic satellite at 37W that covered both sides. I don't ever remember receiving anything on it though. It was later renamed Telstar 11, still at 37W and was replaced by Telstar 11N which is still active in that slot, albeit with no TV in Ku over North America (but I think I detected a few data transponders there)

I'm a bit surprised that a domestic US channel would have used that satellite though.

+Brct203 I see but aside from ONN (Ohio News Network), WNPA Pittsburgh (UPN), WMHQ (PBS) Albany, NY which channels were available on Orion 1 at 37W? (June 1998), I'm just curious.

Last edited:
+Brct203 I see but aside from ONN (Ohio News Network), WNPA Pittsburgh (UPN), WMHQ (PBS) Albany, NY which channels were available on Orion 1 at 37W? (June 1998), I'm just curious.
the furthest I can see on Lyngsat is May 1st 1999, and ONN was not yet reported (it was reported a bit later), there was a mux with mostly middle-eastern channels (Egypt, Jordan, UAE, etc, but also a Greek channel), and also TV Polonia. The typical stuff you would find on a transatlantic bird, a bit like Hispasat today.

Lyngemark Satellite Chart: Orion 1 at 37,5°W

By October 1999, WNPA and ONN had been added, as well as Maharishi Open University. Also BVN and PSC had joined the above mux and Ant1 had dropped

Now all those are as reported in Lyngsat, and we all know that those sites are never 100% up to date, so those channels might have been there for a while before someone reported them to Lyngsat...

Satcodx might have had more details but when I try accessing it in Wayback machine it just redirects to its current successor, satbeams.

+Brct203 Oh, well speaking of UPN (United Paramount Network) as I'm still waiting (as I'm busy going through all the videos), I'd still like to know which Ku transponder the Paramount Stations Group (PSG) used to feed their news feeds?, because I'm curious and I don't see it anywhere, plus Ku transponder satellite lists are a part of my hobby.

Last edited:
I remember ONN as I live in a county that borders trumbull county in ohio. I also watched PCN from pa. I miss both channels. PCN is still broadcast on cable but you have to be a cable subscriber to get it.

Reactions: mattb
I remembered, ONN was on that bird H-1 at 74W*.

There one other bird sharing the same space was Argentina with their news feeds with 576i 50 Hz video format at that time...:)

I miss ONN never watched it on satellite but had it on Time Warner cable. Stinks that it was not profitable for the former owners of WBNS-TV (The Wolfe family) to continue. They ran it out of a double-wide trailer next to the WBNS Studios in Columbus :)

I watched ONN on telstar12 and never watched anything on that primestar dish since it went off air.
The dish is still there on my garage roof and since I am getting close to 75 A little afraid of getting on the roof again. The wire is hanging over the edge of the roof and I might see if the coax still has a good connection and see if I can catch something off it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts