Does DirecTV have an answer to Hopper3/HopperGo?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'll be heading down to the Reo Grande Valley, McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville, South Parde, Port Isabel shortly ... :)

It's getting Cold Up here :oldfrown
Well if you come around these parts you might get to experience all this rumbling lately. SpaceX is testing the heavy rockets now, getting ready to step up the game and take humans to space. Until now they have been re supply missions to the ISS.

Well if you come around these parts you might get to experience all this rumbling lately. SpaceX is testing the heavy rockets now, getting ready to step up the game and take humans to space. Until now they have been re supply missions to the ISS.
Actually I'll fly from Detroit to Houston to McAllen .... I'll be in Houston just long enough to change plans and stuff heavier jackets into carry on ...

Reactions: BigRyan
With all the bandwidth available on RB and so little 4K programming, I foresee D* using it for 1080P programs.
Is not wether DirecTV wants to broadcast on 1080p, is if the content creators wants to create such content is such resolution.

You say that like it's a bad thing! :D

I used to talk to satellite guys members every day when I sold Dish.

It was the only educated group of people I spoke with who knew what they wanted and insisted on a particular package or receiver

Take the super stations on Dish. Satellite guys members where the only customers who wanted it.

Reactions: Jimbo
I used to talk to satellite guys members every day when I sold Dish.

It was the only educated group of people I spoke with who knew what they wanted and insisted on a particular package or receiver

Take the super stations on Dish. Satellite guys members where the only customers who wanted it.
Not to sound like a jerk, but older people too. Never discount the older persons purchase power. I still don't know why they wanted them.

Reactions: Troch77
Is not wether DirecTV wants to broadcast on 1080p, is if the content creators wants to create such content is such resolution.
And why should they bother? Since there is no/little 1080p/60 content, 1080p/24 is more of a marketing thing than a step forward.

Reactions: Jimbo
And why should they bother? Since there is no/little 1080p/60 content, 1080p/24 is more of a marketing thing than a step forward.
Theres really no incentive to do such a thing.

I'm wondering how much 4k stuff will be out there (outside of streaming) before the next greatest thing comes around in 2-3 years.

... I'm wondering how much 4k stuff will be out there (outside of streaming) before the next greatest thing comes around in 2-3 years.

And in this area is where I would have a problem with Dish's future prospects ... "Available bandwidth for 4K"

Outside of internet based streaming and VOD options. Unlike DIRECTV which has a plenitude especially with the new Reverse Band, I can't see where Dish is going to get the satellite bandwidth for any linear 4K broadcasting.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

its not just the tuners in the H#, but the 4k output via hdmi

Directv needs a genie with direct 4k output
not one that requires rvu or a mini 4k client

Reactions: rad and BigRyan
Yeah would be smart for Direct to come out with something and they should start going to CES every year..

Reactions: whitewolf8214
They probably feel that CES is a waste of time and money...

AT &T just merged (bought) D* for the same reason they Southwest bell (org) Bought up other bell sisters and the bought AT&T and took the brand name - Reason to support 5% dividend rate and for additional sub revenue to support that. They have never bought anything or any company except to create a larger revenue base - to support other failing revenue steams purchased in the past.

That's how Business works - They have no model for innovation or to create anything other than sheering sheep that they collect. Time will if the D* merger Will work out but it's way to early in the merger to look for anything except getting more out of less of current equipment offerings (example) 21 SWM channels on a wire - also in additional fee's (4k) & equipment fee's increases to support the same.

Reactions: bobvick
I don't think 16 tuners will be enough for the future. If you have 4 4k stream's that 16 tuners alone (assuming that content is bonded off of 4 tuners per 4k channel. Now if you have 5 different programs recording plus you're watching 2 4k channels that would be 13 tuners alone. This is all assuming heavy tv usage in the home. I think there will be a point that where you could max out 16 tuners.

ATT is working on their next gen box, and I think it will supersede anyone's expectations. 4k is here to stay.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I don't think 16 tuners will be enough for the future. If you have 4 4k stream's that 16 tuners alone (assuming that content is bonded off of 4 tuners per 4k channel. Now if you have 5 different programs recording plus you're watching 2 4k channels that would be 13 tuners alone. This is all assuming heavy tv usage in the home. I think there will be a point that where you could max out 16 tuners.

ATT is working on their next gen box, and I think it will supersede anyone's expectations. 4k is here to stay.
Is there a known restriction to using one tuner for 4K? I understand transponders may need to be using in multiples but a single tuner may be used, in theory.

Is there a known restriction to using one tuner for 4K? I understand transponders may need to be using in multiples but a single tuner may be used, in theory.

Not when your bonding transponders. My understanding is that in order to tune what's on one you have to tune to the other three as well as the data stream is incomplete without the additional ancillary information. Remember this is still in its infancy and is subject to change. We won't know until it goes live.

Not when your bonding transponders. My understanding is that in order to tune what's on one you have to tune to the other three as well as the data stream is incomplete without the additional ancillary information. Remember this is still in its infancy and is subject to change. We won't know until it goes live.

That's why you have to have a DVR with a crazy number of tuners.

When you do 4K, 15 tuners is really like 5.

That's why you have to have a DVR with a crazy number of tuners.

When you do 4K, 15 tuners is really like 5.
So the HR54, will be more like 1 tuner by that theory.
You guys really think anytime soon, 4K is going to be remotely the norm?

That so many households will be recording 4K in 4 rooms of their house at the same time?

YEAH OKAY!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts