Don't understand multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jbeemer

Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and i'm learning this stuff brand new. just installed a 3-LNB and it is getting all 3 satellites in the mid 80's and up for strength. I now understand I need 4 cables, not the 2 I had with my dual LNB, so I will get to that task next.

What I don't get is - if the dish has a multiswitch built in, why do I need a second multiswitch? The WB68 is being recommended (I only have a 3x4 now). But what does it do?

Thanks!

We have one tube TV and one HD TV with a local antenna. We haven't upgraded to an HD subscription yet, since I think we'd lose the local channels on the tube TV. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

yes, the dish has a switch built in, and you don't need another switch i believe, if you upgrade to HD, you'll get the hd locals and the hd package on just that one tv with the one hd receiver, and all the other receivers that are non HD will stay the same

you are going to need the at9 or slimline dish pretty soon because of the other sats that dtv is launching

What I don't get is - if the dish has a multiswitch built in, why do I need a second multiswitch? The WB68 is being recommended (I only have a 3x4 now). But what does it do?
The number of cables coming from the dish should match the number of connections you need (dvr's require 2 cables). If you do not need more than 4 connections, the built-in switch in the dish can handle it. If you need more than 4 connections, or if you think you will need more than 4 in the future, a multiswitch is needed. :)

Wow am I confused! :p

I was told by DirecTV that I need all 4 cables from the dish for my receivers (currently non-HD) to "see" all 3 sats 101 110 119. Will investing in 2 more cables improve my non-HD picture at all? The LCD TV picture is pretty crappy through my non-HD receiver, but the tube tv looks great.

The TiVo receiver is only seeing sat 101 with 2 cables currently off the dish into the 3x4 multi inside. It sounds like I need 3 cables for my current setup (1 DVR, 1 receiver), but per DirecTV that would still leave me seeing only sat 101.

Will seeing all 3 sats change the picture quality in non-HD?
If not, I might as will just leave it as is and save my $$.

As mcbeevee said, you need a line from the dish for each tuner (dvr=2) so yes, you need 3 lines. Retire the 3x4 multiswitch, as it will only allow access to 101 satellite. Run 3 direct lines from dish (as you have been correctly told it has a built-in 4 output multiswitch). Seeing all 3 sats won't improve picture quality on SD programming, but will allow any receivers you have that are capable of recieving the signals to access subscribed channels on the other two birds.

Wow am I confused! :p
I was told by DirecTV that I need all 4 cables from the dish for my receivers (currently non-HD) to "see" all 3 sats 101 110 119.
The switch that is built into the dish combines the signals from all 3 sats into each individual cable feeding out of the dish. Even if you only had 1 cable from the dish to the receiver, it should have all 3 sats on it. I think what D* meant was "if" you use the multiswitch, it should have all 4 cables fed into it. :flag:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts