DOS Question

Hallowsend

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Rawdon, Quebec
I copied some files from a hosed Vista Vaio laptop to an external HD through DOS. When I hooked up the external HD to an XP machine, XP can find no trace of the files.

Hooked back up to Vista Vaio and there they are.

What am I missing?

Are you able to see the drive on both and just the files are missing, or can you not see the external drive at all on XP?

I can see the HD on both systems. Can see all my pre-existing files in XP (and Vista), but not the files copied from Vista on XP.

I created a folder (using mkdir) while hooked to Vista to store these files and, according to XP, there is no such folder. Arrrgh!

I should add that, if I understand correctly, this is was done through cmd.exe not real DOS. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. DOS and its lookalikes were never my strongpoints.

Your using an older os to see a newer os, its kind of like trying to play a ps3 game on a ps2 console. I went through the same thing with xp and 98 and had to hook the drive to an xp machine to actually see the files.

It shouldn't matter that they were copied over on Vista though. I copy between the two OS a lot and have no problems. Is it possible the drive is formatted in a newer method however (i.e. not NTFS or Fat32)

Also, in a stupid question, are you sure it is copying to the hard drive and not just linking the files?

Ducky: I used copy and xcopy, so this should have been a real copy.

Van: (I just love your avatar.) I had wondered if there may have been OS compatibility problems.

I've done a bit of Googling since first asking. I think the problem may be related to access rights / ownership. I'll have to wait until I get to work where the Vaio is to check this. Also, I'll bring my own Vista laptop just to see if the prob is at the OS level.

While I have your attention, does anyone know of a command to view all drives/partitions?

"does anyone know of a command to view all drives/partitions"

Well... it used to be fdisk, but I think that's history in Windows now.
With XP and Win Server, you can right-click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management

<edit> (another way to get there is Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Mgmt)

Not sure if it's changed with Vista or not...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)