Dsc-w C4-601 & Tlc-w C4-604 Not On Cband Anymore

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jself1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
South Carolina
These channels are not available to subscribers anymore. Just to let everyone know NPS is reporting Discovery Networks will not let cband'ers have these 2 channels since the east feeds are available on C4-600 and C3-605.

Not that I watch either one, but it still s*cks... I just got my Bill (Saturday) for my annual subscription for the "Absolute Digital Package", which is due on the 29th. I'm already considering the 10 channel X4 Package from the other provider. This happening and the price going up $125-$130 from last year, don't weigh in favor for NPS. There are really about 8-9 channels I regularly watch and available on X4, but there are 3-4 other channels on C-band. I'm thinking I won't miss any of them? I watch more HD and FTA anyway. I guess I have about a little less than 4 weeks to decide?

Al

voomvoom,

I am seriously thinking about only renewing my Premiums/Turner analog thru NPS now. With the crappy PQ and the loss of masters, I am just going to stick with DishNetwork for now, I hate it but, I don't like the rate hikes for the crappy PQ and loss of channels. And may do some alacarte thru SRL for my X4 channels.

We have had the west feeds for so long of these 2 channels, I just don't know why Discovery (claims made from NPS) has decided not to allow us to see these channels.

And if you didn't know it, the prorate on the uplinked channels is now up to 9%.

voomvoom,

I am seriously thinking about only renewing my Premiums/Turner analog thru NPS now. With the crappy PQ and the loss of masters, I am just going to stick with DishNetwork for now, I hate it but, I don't like the rate hikes for the crappy PQ and loss of channels. And may do some alacarte thru SRL for my X4 channels.

We have had the west feeds for so long of these 2 channels, I just don't know why Discovery (claims made from NPS) has decided not to allow us to see these channels.

And if you didn't know it, the prorate on the uplinked channels is now up to 9%.

I cut my subscriptions back to a minimum. The absolute digital package is too much for what I would watch. I had some Alacart's with SRL but they ran out and I didn't renew them. I have only Alacarts with NPS currently. The money I save Im investing in stuff for my FTA and computers.

This is most unpleasant news! I thought Discovery Channel liked cband. Hope NPS isn't gonna give up yet! People complain about the uplink fee, then they'll quit the fee and uplinking alltogether, just like the complaining ended the channel guide fee along with the 4dtv system updates.

This is most unpleasant news! I thought Discovery Channel liked cband. Hope NPS isn't gonna give up yet! People complain about the uplink fee, then they'll quit the fee and uplinking alltogether, just like the complaining ended the channel guide fee along with the 4dtv system updates.

Exactly, I'm not happy with the 9% fee, but they are trying, not good enough in my opinion but I did notice SRL doesn't have West coast listed on there feeds anymore either. I just can't believe all these years its been ok for us to get west feeds, then here lately NPS keeps losing channels and contracts and moving everything to X4. I know cband is a small market, but there is smaller cable companies, I worked at one in the marketing dept, responsible for adding and making new channels/promotions, we had at our peak 36,000 subs and we still got access to several channels, very easily, very cheap, and for the 126-130 channel analog/digital lineup for only around $50/month, except premiums--it was a nice business until Charter swallowed it up. So why is cband any different from cable, both needs receivers and authorizations??!!?? And I understand about megapipe. I know we had to pay ACC/Guide fees to do authorizations and channel updates and mail messages, etc., is NPS not willing to pay this or what? And by the way, if NPS is like cable companies, X4 HITS is so cheap to get access too, so I don't believe the bs about X4 channels costing more than master feeds. We used both HITS and master feeds, and the contracts and authorization/mapping fees was more for the master feeds than HITS. I was just as furious when they lost the MTV Suite on C3.

I think it all comes down to the only 2 provders left not wanting to fork out some extra dough and Discovery Networks has decided to take things into their control, whether they are friends w/ NPS or not. I am thankful for what NPS does, however, there quality and ways of going about things is not great at all.

I'm done now. Thanks.

Exactly, I'm not happy with the 9% fee, but they are trying, not good enough in my opinion but I did notice SRL doesn't have West coast listed on there feeds anymore either. I just can't believe all these years its been ok for us to get west feeds, then here lately NPS keeps losing channels and contracts and moving everything to X4. I know cband is a small market, but there is smaller cable companies, I worked at one in the marketing dept, responsible for adding and making new channels/promotions, we had at our peak 36,000 subs and we still got access to several channels, very easily, very cheap, and for the 126-130 channel analog/digital lineup for only around $50/month, except premiums--it was a nice business until Charter swallowed it up. So why is cband any different from cable, both needs receivers and authorizations??!!?? And I understand about megapipe. I know we had to pay ACC/Guide fees to do authorizations and channel updates and mail messages, etc., is NPS not willing to pay this or what? And by the way, if NPS is like cable companies, X4 HITS is so cheap to get access too, so I don't believe the bs about X4 channels costing more than master feeds. We used both HITS and master feeds, and the contracts and authorization/mapping fees was more for the master feeds than HITS. I was just as furious when they lost the MTV Suite on C3.

I think it all comes down to the only 2 provders left not wanting to fork out some extra dough and Discovery Networks has decided to take things into their control, whether they are friends w/ NPS or not. I am thankful for what NPS does, however, there quality and ways of going about things is not great at all.

I'm done now. Thanks.

It's sad that this keeps happening. The masters always has the best PQ. It may have something to do with money, but there charging more than ever now in C band history, so where's the money going? Has the cost of doing business increased that much? Has the loyalties shifted away from the customer now and it's all about making as much as you can? That seems to be the trend, just look at prices on everything:(

It's sad that this keeps happening. The masters always has the best PQ. It may have something to do with money, but there charging more than ever now in C band history, so where's the money going? Has the cost of doing business increased that much? Has the loyalties shifted away from the customer now and it's all about making as much as you can? That seems to be the trend, just look at prices on everything:(

You know it seems that way. Maybe they are concentraiting more on Dish Network now, which is sad. They even raised the prices on the ATL/SF distants, which Iwill be cancelling as well on my Dish Network.
What makes me even more upset is the fact that NPS has uplinked the 4 ATL locals for Dish Network subs on our TP on G3, so that could've been 4 more channels for cband, because they sure are not letting the cband'ers sub to them but I bet we are paying for them with the 9% rate change.

I just wish it was the good ole days when TurnerVision used to send out that sheet with Onsat, that had all the channels ala carte! What fond memories!

I just called NPS to have my Unit ID transferred from the ailing 922 I had to the 920 I bought from George, and while on hold the first item that came on was

we are having technical difficulties with Discovery W on C4 channel 601 and the The Learning Channel on C4 channel 604. We are working to clear up this technical difficulty

Why would they be saying that if they weren't trying to fix it?

Fred

I hate to talk about other forums, but, on the 4dtv forum, the 2 guys that work for NPS that give out info stated that Discovery Networks doesn't want NPS to allow subs to see the west coast feeds. My opinion, probably was cheaper to get a "east coast only" sort of deal possibly??!!?? My predictions are that all channels will be on X4 eventually and all of our master feeds will be gone -- no more good pq for cband, which is just sad.

It sure looks like our c-band dishes are not going to be anything more than KU band X4 overcompressed digital blurs.

I guess since the rest of the country watches their "digital quantity" pizza pans and cable, they are going to politically push us there. I can tell everyone now that I will just cancel all my subs period.

The subscription cost is steadily climbing for everything. There are more "fees" than ever for tv programming.

I have FTA and HD over the air. I am definitely going to downgrade my NPS subs to just HBO/max on G1.

I only sub to a package that includes the West coast channels, since I cannot get that on Cable, at less then $100 a year, I will sub to this for a long time to come and use my Cband dish for feeds, feeds, and more FEEDS :)

it seems to me they are trying to make it so none of back yard dish owners can get ne thing which is Bullsh!t. in my opinion:mad: r they trying to end C-band? Really....

I don't think it is as much of the networks doing this to cbander's as it is NPS.

Example, the Viacom channels on C3 (MTV, Nick) NPS said that Viacom didn't want to pay fee's to remain on 4dtv, nope, NPS could get the X4 feed cheaper is the real reason these channels went to X4. But NPS will tell you it was Viacom's fault.

It is my understanding that here is how it works, it is most expensive for NPS to reuplink that channel, then to get the master feed is a little less expensive, HITS feeds on X4 is the cheapest, tier bit fee's is what NPS pays to keep CNN"s on analog until Turner decides to remove them, then NPS can do nothing but reuplink the channels. If NPS would have paid the ACC fee's for the Viacom channels, MTV would have made them available to us, NPS didn't want to shell out a few dollars to keep them when we can get less quality versions on X4, its all about money and profits, no one cares for quality.

quality

I think another factor here too is that a lot of the programmers are getting away from digicipher II. It seems powervu is taking the cake since with powervu (scientific atlanta) there is not central access control center. Everybody controls their own encryption and access. What would be great is if we were offered a Powervu receiver that we could subscribe.

We could get master broadcasts on powervu.

Or even a powervu/digicipher hybrid receiver that we could own affordably.
(which will probably never happen).

It is just a fact that they want everyone pushed to the pizza pan and cable not caring about quality or hoping we don't know the difference.

I guess after the entire country gets used to the overcompressed "blurry vision" channels it will sure sell the hell out of "HD".

So are there any providers covering west coast customers specifically, or is it all controlled by the same folks?

IMHO it seems very tight not to let us have the West counterparts of our East channels - there was a time when 601 was clear and no sub was needed! That was when they were shifting Disc-E from Analogue

hohum

SWEET! Christmas Theme - COOL!

I just posted a quick reply with everything blue, and now its green - EXCELLENT!

So are there any providers covering west coast customers specifically, or is it all controlled by the same folks?

Motorola access control center in Atlanta, Ga controls the authorization of all the digicipher 2 receivers. From 4dtv to cable companies. I am assuming they are directed or requested by program providers to allow the authorizations.

The individual program providers do not have direct control over their authorization. At least the equipment is not "in house" .

Powervu however as I understand it can be access controlled from withing the encoders themselves on site. A program provider would authorize all the receivers allowed to view their content from their own premises without any addtional fees for instance from Motorola.

Interesting that, I didn't realise there was a single master centre that covered every receiver, that seems quite amazing, and a bit "big brother"!

Status
Please reply by conversation.