DSR-410 no lock on Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cliffover3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
US
Some day I will be able to call programing and request service. On this site I learned never give up. Well no lock on yet. Old 10ft mesh BUD, no old reciever to move dish. No more than a 10-15 red bar last week on tv in house(long run old wire) . Got a satelite finder and a protractor and put a tv and the reciever by the dish. Got two Satelites on the Sat finder next to each other at the correct compass bearing, I'm hoping one is w-5 and the other is the one that is 6 degrees east. dsr- 410 red bar 20 and no change. What I'm going bonkers with is elevation, these hits are at 48 degrees with the protractor on the back of the dish. My elevation here should be 42.2.(calif) Now last week the 410 was master set for 204 and now it is not so maybe thats why it won't get a green bar. Been reading about declination (elevation)My dish has the micro adjustments and I was using it to get the elevation with protractor on the back of dish. Checked F/L measured from LNBF to dish, that's ok,, F/D .38,, skew 7 o'clock. I'm thinking master reset (204)and then call a Satellite guy in to lock it in. This was fun tinkering at first now I'm going nut's..

Don't give up! What kind of LNB are you using? Did you get the DSR410 from Skyvision? Do you also have a dvb reciever? You could hook it up, do a blind scan, and determine which satellite the dish is currently pointed towards.

Thanks, LNBF is 13k dual polarity bsc421 and 410 from skyvision. No I don't have another reciever maybe I should get one. You mean one that could drive the dish?

if the actuator is functional, you can get a brand new analog receiver from ebay for $32 shipped to move the dish. As an alternative you could get a low cost dvb receiver and couple it with a vbox for not much more money. The dvb receiver will give you access to many free channels while the analog one will only get you 8 or so. If all you really want is the w5 channels you might just want to get someone locally to help with the alignment.

its easier to watch the ebno # when aiming the dish

options 6-0-5 right arrow to Diagnostic C. IN the right corner there is a + - number. The higher the + number, the more signal you have. It will stay at -3.0 to start

key thing with these DCII boxes is they are PAINFULLY slow to react when aiming a dish. Get in the vicinity of the satellite, then move it slowly and wait 5 seconds between times moving it.

I've learned that the hard way with the 410's

One more comment- since you did get your 410 from skyvision a master reset using the hidden menu is not really needed. After you get your service activated, be sure to ask programming center to set you up on web sams. Also, without a shadow of a doubt, Tim(the CSR manager) is the most helpful person at the programming center. He is able to get your box authorized if you ever have trouble. The others send a few hits and tell you to wait a day. He will do what he can to get you going immediately. He seems to have the magic touch.

Thanks all, I went and looked at options 6-0-5 diagnostic C,,, good tip! Will the e-bay anolog recevier show me which satellite I'm looking at? I saw the one for $27 US Legacy II,, same one? I have moved the reciever to my back shop 20' from the dish. Just have to carry TV and reciever outside. Getting hot here in Calif. I think I'll wait till tomorrow to mess with it. Would have to be the only fence line where the neighbors are close, they keep asking,,did you get it yet? Embarrassing

no the analog receiver wont tell you what satellite you are on

Do you know approximatelly where you are in the sky?

yes from 95667 I show 156 degrees compass 42 degrees elevation,, nothing there unless I didn't move slow enough, or I'm measuring elevation wrong. One dish piont site talked about a -6 declination for elevation. using protractor on back of actual dish. I raised dish still at 156 and get two sats at 48 degrees weird. To me 42 degrees should mean 42 degrees....

according to thelist I get

elevation 42
azimuth 140 (your 156 doesn't take into deviation which is -16)
skew (important) -19 (counterclockwise)

By all means, add DVB to your station. As Ice said, the benifits received for the cost of it and a v-box, you will be pleased. I dont have a 410, but I would go crazy id I had to go back to Sat id'ing and dish alignment relying on the 922 alone! I think most here will agree. These DRS's are necessary for the DCII content but the technology is VERY oldschool. It is a shame that Big M has chosen the path they have....................oh alright, I'll quit whinning, we have plenty of other threads full of those complaints, lol.........anyway.............
YES, GO DVB + Vbox. If you cant find a cheap one on Fleabay, Craigslist, or your local classifieds, they should be showing up in resale shops, garage sales and dumpsters pretty soon courtesy of Nagra3!
I read there were millions, plural, MILLIONS of FTA boxes sold. I know we in the mainstream of the FTA hobby will pick up a portion of those ex-patcheyed folks as new true FTA enthusiasts, but millions? Not likely, so keep your eyes open for them.
May be a good source of material to do like our buddy Mike in Baja did for the local orphanage. I suspect he picked up a gold star in the Big Guy's book of Reckoning for judgement day for that.

according to thelist I get

elevation 42
azimuth 140 (your 156 doesn't take into deviation which is -16)
skew (important) -19 (counterclockwise)

Icberg, thanks my compass is set up for declination -15.5 east so I have it set at 156. I tried hand scaning with the dish,,,, done doing that. Talked to a couple of satellite guys today they both said get the dish back to where it was before I messed with it. Then either pull the motor off and hand crank it or get another reciever box to power it. Both said they will check to see if they have one. I'm thinking about the same price for a service call or buy a dvb and g-box. Hey the skey is confusing, I have the lnbf at 7 o'clock as you look at it from in front of the dish, how do I point it to go by the numbers, I see the 30/0/30,,,, thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)