Status
Please reply by conversation.

tuberadio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I have a DSR-920 I am working on for another satelliteguy member here. The battery in the VCII RS module exploded and leaked all over the main board. There are a few surfacemount resistors & capacitors that have coroded right off the board. I have it all cleaned up and the board looks potentially repairable. What I need now is a schematic of the 920 if there is even one available, or if I can identify the components missing so I can resolder them to the board. I have the tools and knowledge of how to so this so I am not concerned in anyway... Ive worked with much much smaller...

The area of the board that is effected is directly behind the Async Data connector in a 2" wide by 3" long area.

So if anyone has any schematics or knowledge of the values on the components in that area, I should be able to repair it.

Thanks & any help is appreciated,

Stephan

Hey,

I have a DSR-920 I am working on for another satelliteguy member here. The battery in the VCII RS module exploded and leaked all over the main board. There are a few surfacemount resistors & capacitors that have coroded right off the board. I have it all cleaned up and the board looks potentially repairable. What I need now is a schematic of the 920 if there is even one available, or if I can identify the components missing so I can resolder them to the board. I have the tools and knowledge of how to so this so I am not concerned in anyway... Ive worked with much much smaller...

The area of the board that is effected is directly behind the Async Data connector in a 2" wide by 3" long area.

So if anyone has any schematics or knowledge of the values on the components in that area, I should be able to repair it.

Thanks & any help is appreciated,

Stephan

Hate to tell you but your probably just wasting your time as there are no schematics available, parts and you can buy a VCII module on EBay, but not sure why you even need it as hardly used anymore.

sergei said:
Hate to tell you but your probably just wasting your time as there are no schematics available, parts and you can buy a VCII module on EBay, but not sure why you even need it as hardly used anymore.

He wants to fix the main board that the VCII leaked on. Not the VCII itself. :)

He wants to fix the main board that the VCII leaked on. Not the VCII itself. :)

Your right, I must be really tired as I misread it. But one thing for sure there are no schematics.

Your best option is to look or ask someone if they have a 920 with a dead battery and get the motherboard and rob the parts off it or at least get the part information off of it. I just got a power supply and UHF assembly from a guy in Canada, he might still have the board you need.

Last edited:
Hey,

I have a DSR-920 I am working on for another satelliteguy member here. The battery in the VCII RS module exploded and leaked all over the main board. There are a few surfacemount resistors & capacitors that have coroded right off the board.... or if I can identify the components missing so I can resolder them to the board.

Stephan,

If you can take a close up pic of the affected area and post a link to it, maybe I or someone else that has a 920 can help with parts identification.

Bob in Lone Oak, TX

I learned one thing from this. I believe this is the second time I've read about a VCII module battery exploding, and destroying the inside of a receiver. Tomorrow I'm taking the module out of my 920. The Weather Channel ITC, 2 or 3 times a year, sure isn't worth the risk!

I pulled mine last summer. I have it sitting in the shop on a shelf. Battery still is good. The unit is from 1990. Thats a heck of a haul on the original battery.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)