GEOSATpro -DSR-R100b will not power on

dsmith0429

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Lake Placid, FL
I have a GEOSATpro-DSR-R100b that will not power on. It just blinks the red LED on the display. No video on the TV/Monitor, but a clicking sound. Thinking it may be the power supply. Anyone know anything about this type of issue?

I have a GEOSATpro-DSR-R100b that will not power on. It just blinks the red LED on the display. No video on the TV/Monitor, but a clicking sound. Thinking it may be the power supply. Anyone know anything about this type of issue?
Yes, bad power supply.... I have another one of these receivers, so I plugged in the power from that one into the board and it booted. So now I need to know where to find a replacement power supply, or how to repair. Also notice the main receiver boards and configuration is different, yet both have same model number. Also the setup screens are different. Power supply is the same in both receivers.

Likely a failed capacitor on the PSU. Satellite AV should have a stock of replacement PSU if you don't care to trouble shoot or replace the failed components.
Found a bulged capacitor, it was hard to find, it was bulged on the bottom, and didn't leak. I just happened to notice it looked a little taller than the same capacitor next to it, and desoldered it and yep, bulged. It was a 10v 1000uF. Haven't replaced yet, but I'm hoping that is all that is wrong with it. The main board works just fine, powered and booted from one from another GEOSATpro DSR-R100b receiver. Definitely worth repairing.

Success! Repaired! I replaced the two 1000u 10v capacitors with two 1000u 16v capacitors I salvaged from another piece of electronics Seems to be working great, no issues so far, been running non stop for 2 days and no heat difference from it and my other one that is still as it was when purchased.:bluesbros

Now if I just need to get the last firmware and the maintenance/editor software for it... I know it won't work on newer versions of Windows, but that is fine, I have and old laptop with Windows XP that I use to edit other receivers I have that does not connect to the internet...

I got my hands on another GEOSATpro DSR-R100b, same problem, dead power supply. But this one was different, it had two 10v 2200u capacitors instead of the two 10v 1000u in the same location like my other two receivers have, haven't looked at the other components too closely on the power supply, but the board is marked the same, but apparently was modified for this revision. And it had a boot logo, where the other two didn't have one. All 3 have different firmware. This one seems to be more up to date, it had the current satellite names, where the other two were outdated. This one came from a motel in Georgia I was told, has a label showing it was used for RT (Galaxy 19 Ku). Best part, I got it for less than $50 :biggrin2 THANKS for all who gave me help on learning how to repair these.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts