DTV Pal

Do I need to have Dish Network to buy this box? I know someone who lives in a big city need a DTV box.

This better be a good box. Most of the ones sold at electronic stores are not the best ones and can be the worse ones with poor reviews

The TR-40 is now the DTVPal due to ship sometime this month. The TR-50 OTA DVR isn't due out unitil Aug/Sept. Charlie MAY say something about these on Monday's Charlie Chat.

The TR-40 is now the DTVPal due to ship sometime this month. The TR-50 OTA DVR isn't due out unitil Aug/Sept. Charlie MAY say something about these on Monday's Charlie Chat.

OK thanks Bradtothebone. My retailer don't seem to know much about the converter boxes. I already have my two coupons. Where will these DTVPals be able to be purchased? On line, etc!!

Zatz Not Funny has posted DTVPal images

Hands On With DTVPal

pabeader my EPG curiosity has ended.
It uses PSIP but looks like a TVGuide EPG.

Now I am wondering about:
1. Ability to add and remove channels
2. Can it manually add channels
3. Programming Search Function
4. Event Timer

About the Event Timer, I have a feeling it will be a manually set timer where you give a start time and channel and optional a repeat function.

I do wounder what happened to the plural timers from the TR-40 :rolleyes:
You did after all say that I should look at DTVPAL.COM for answers.

Last edited:
my EPG curiosity has ended.
It uses PSIP but looks like a TVGuide EPG.
How did you figure this out? The "Downloading Guide" screen shot says, "...this will take a few minutes to complete." Don't you have to actually tune every channel in the guide to receive PSIP program data. Is that what's it does?

Symbios in the AVS Forum sent a eMail to Francie Bauer @ Dish Network and simply asked her, "Will the DTVPal use PSIP, or Gemstar's TVGuide solution"? She said she'd have to ask the Engineers in London. Today she got back and said the DTVPal uses a PSIP guide.

Not only that but it has "DTV Program" as some listings.

It would be nice if the "Downloading Guide" screen was a setup screen and you don't have to keep repeating this, I do agree that this sounds like it is getting all the PSIP data for you.

You are correct that to receive PSIP data you have to tune to the channel so I have no idea how it operates if you don't run the "Downloading Guide".

might it not be able to scan the PSIP data in the background?
i feel sorry for the person who posted the above pictures...

Last edited:
I agree pabeader.

In the EPG picture it does not show any live channels so it could be like the RCA DTA800B - What's on Now/What's on Next EPG

The guide could work "in the background" showing one page of four channels at a time it would have to download at most four channels to fill the grid and when you page down it would download the next four. Either that or when looking at the guide it could keep "Updating" like the RCA.

In the picture it would have had to download three as one was a sub-channel.
KGO-HD (007-01), KPIX-HD (005-01), KTVU-SD (002-02), and KTVU-DT(002-01)

the pictures might not be in proper 'order'
from what i know about computers and such, it is possible that they could store a bunch of data and then just update it as time goes on. for all the channels you receive. they do mention a number of features that would require that ability on DTVPAL.COM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)