DTV Pal

very interesting....

i'm suprised that this thread hasn't been moved to hd ota. maybe not quite belong there, but a better fit then here???

I asked Dave if he lost is job because of the DTVPal
Dave Zatz said:
Ha! No I didn't lose my job for posting photos. Quite the contrary - company spokespeople are usually expected to get the word out.
wink.gif
I left voluntarily for Dash Navigation.

His responses in the AVS Forum
Dave Zatz said:
I'll respond if I know the answers... but I haven't been following this category too closely. And I probably won't be back by my old office (Sling Media) for awhile, but maybe I can convince one of my pals to take a few more shots of things like the timer and search feature if they exist.
I do wonder how many times a person has to download the guide as shown in the progress bar image
Dave Zatz said:
The guide download photographed was not part of the initial setup. The photos are actually of two separate boxes - one had already been configured and when I pulled up the guide it downloaded new/more info. Not sure how often that occurs, though it was pretty quick. I won’t be back in the office for awhile, but I’ll see if I can have someone send me a few more photos of the interface..

Last edited:
My coupons expire on June 19th, does anyone know where I can pre-order?
I don't know of anyone accepting pre-orders anymore.

The next two online retailer would be
$21.94 @ http://www.solidsignal.com | $48.99 + $9.95 shipping | 6% sales tax Michigan
$9.95 @ CheapDigitalConverters.com | $39.99 + $9.95 shipping | ? sales tax CA

SolidSignal is not accepting coupon orders it is listed above as if they did
CheapDigitalConverters has a form to be notified of pre-orders

You coupons do however expire during the time it is expected to be released.
June 16th - June 20th so you might also be able to find it locally.

I don't know of anyone accepting pre-orders anymore.

The next two online retailer would be
$21.94 @ http://www.solidsignal.com | $48.99 + $9.95 shipping | 6% sales tax Michigan
$9.95 @ CheapDigitalConverters.com | $39.99 + $9.95 shipping | ? sales tax CA

SolidSignal is not accepting coupon orders it is listed above as if they did
CheapDigitalConverters has a form to be notified of pre-orders

You coupons do however expire during the time it is expected to be released.
June 16th - June 20th so you might also be able to find it locally.

I thought I read someplace that Claude isn't accepting coupons either. Has anybody heard anything from him lately on the DTV PAL?

The remote looks exactly the same that was used on the Dish Network 111 receivers (the smallest Dish Network receivers ever made). I wonder if Dish Network remotes will work with these FTA receivers. My guess is that they will not work on them on purpose so that they wont interfere with Dish Network receiver operation. Perhaps they set them on a different code so that one can use their Dish Network remote on them so that they could use their existing stock of remotes to save money.

The remote looks exactly the same that was used on the Dish Network 111 receivers (the smallest Dish Network receivers ever made). I wonder if Dish Network remotes will work with these FTA receivers. My guess is that they will not work on them on purpose so that they wont interfere with Dish Network receiver operation. Perhaps they set them on a different code so that one can use their Dish Network remote on them so that they could use their existing stock of remotes to save money.

DISH IR remote address of "1"

i wonder what the Pal might do when it's turned off?
Do you mean it could activate the Analog Pass-Through;)

The new DigitalStream DTX9950's remote has a PassThru button to switch and operates like this.

Either that it could operate like the Philco/Magnavox where you need to change modes in a menu and keep the box turned on but I doubt that.

I wonder what the Pal might do while it is off? I am not speculating.
I get what you are hinting at. That the DTVPal could be gathering PSIP data for the Program Guide when it is off.

Dave Zatz did say the "Downloading Guide" screen was activated when he pulled up the guide to get more/new info. He however, did not say how long the box was plugged in for like "overnight"

I have to admit that the guide is very similar to the Dish DVR-921 minus the preview.

I am therefore thinking that the event timer

and programming search will be very similar as well.

Here are a lot of images of the DVR-921 including more event images

Thanks again pabeader;)

i've never seen a screen that looks like either of those. with or without preview

the only Dish satellite receivers i've ever seen were the old 5000 receiver, the old 2600 receiver, the 301, the 311 and the 625.

i've never seen a screen that looks like either of those. with or without preview

the only Dish satellite receivers i've ever seen were the old 5000 receiver, the old 2600 receiver, the 301, the 311 and the 625.
I looked at the User Guides for the 5000 receiver and 2600 receiver - I don't think it will look anything like that.
Timer images can be found for the 301, and for the 311 - Again close but not what I was looking for
Looking at the timer images for the 625 - Very close but also to advanced and complex for the DTVPal

I finally settled for the 322 that is like the 625 but simple and probably more like the DTVPal

Looking at the user guide for the 322 I would say if the DTVPal is going to be very similar.

Thank you again pabeader

Last edited:
DTVPal .......................... 322 ............................................................
? Browse Banner
vs
? Program Guide
vs

Images for those who would like to see if they were also similar in a few weeks
? Programming search

? Program Banner, Inactivity, and Alternate Audio

? Parental controls - Ratings Locks & Channel Locks

? Event timer - Timer icon on EPG, Timer Conflict

? Program Guide Updates

Marriner @ DBSTalk.com said:
What is Charlie Chat?
Charlie Chat is a live monthly TV show broadcast on channel 101, just for DISH Network subscribers.

I am not a Dish Network subscriber but would love is someone could post this on YouTube

I don't get this price raise.

Maybe if enough people contact them they will respond.
Try contacting these:
mailto:francie.bauer@echostar.com
720-514-5839

Here is the DTVPal phone number
1-888-638-9912
mailto:press@echostar.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)