DTV Pal

Maybe this is why they changed the name of the box from TR-40 to TVPAL. The tr-40 was to be $40 so they changed the name so they could raise the price. Once again Charlie proves he can NEVER be trusted or believed.

All signs are saying the box will be $59 and again no one I have talked to knows anything about a $39 box.

The $39 price is probably what the retailer is paying for the boxes from Echostar. They need to profit in the deal, and I guess if they wanted to they could sell them for $39 if they wanted to.

I should have a lot more on the DTV Pal tomorrow.

Well if it's "Suggested Retail Price" and retailers are free to sell for less, i.e. the price some of us already preordered for, then "never mind" what I said before.

That name might come in handy in the future for some other DISH product though. :)

All signs are saying the box will be $59 and again no one I have talked to knows anything about a $39 box.
Huh? I hope you meant to say "all signs since last night's Charlie Chat" are saying that it will be $59. Because that's a shock to quite a few folks, including retailers, who since CES have reported it as going for $39.95 and therefore essentially free with coupon. I thought Charlie even admitted (at the last chat?) that they planned on selling them at a loss to get their name out to folks who have never considered satellite service before.

It was the retailers who wanted to earn a profit on the boxes, as if they sold them for $39 there would be a loss to them as they also need to p ay for shipping of the boxes to their stores.

I have made all kinds of calls today and it appears that the new price is $59. I have asked for official clarification from Dish and they are looking into it. It would not be the first time Charlie said something on the chat which was not true.

Huh? I hope you meant to say "all signs since last night's Charlie Chat" are saying that it will be $59. Because that's a shock to quite a few folks, including retailers, who since CES have reported it as going for $39.95 and therefore essentially free with coupon. I thought Charlie even admitted (at the last chat?) that they planned on selling them at a loss to get their name out to folks who have never considered satellite service before.
Perhaps they needed a few duckets to help pay the TiVo judgement and VOOM litigation.:rolleyes: Seriously, this is disappointment only because Dish Network has been displaying the $39 and change price for a long, long time.

I'll second digging up more info on the TR-50...

The $39 price is probably what the retailer is paying for the boxes from Echostar. They need to profit in the deal, and I guess if they wanted to they could sell them for $39 if they wanted to.

I should have a lot more on the DTV Pal tomorrow.

yeah, but i do remember from what others have said, i know nobody ever said it was going to be 39.95 for the DTV pal, but a few months ago when it was called the TR-40 , boom, 40 bucks, so some people might agree with the reach around speak, i dont, and i agree with a lot of other people, i would rather have this box than the other cheap ones out there, but i guess not now :(

As far as the TR-50 goes, it looks like we could see it in the fall.

I played with it at Team Summit for a bit. Its just getting the finals done before they go into production.

It was clear from the original language that he meant retail $40:

“No company has really stepped up and said let’s make this transition happen. Today, EchoStar Corp. has said we will make those products available for $39.99.”

The box will be sold under the brand names of both EchoStar and its acquired subsidiary, Sling Media, for $39.99 at retail, and can be purchased via the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Coupon Program. ...

“That means every home in America, for two TV sets absolutely free of charge, can convert to the digital transition,” Ergen said. “There is no reason the digital transition can’t take place by February 2009, and there is no reason it will cost the consumer a dime.”

The TR-40’s features include up to a seven-day electronic programming guide, program search, parental locks and VCR auto-tune timers. The TR-40 is sampling now and will be available in limited quantities in March and unlimited quantities in June.

EchoStar Set to Offer $39.99 Digital Converter - 1/7/2008 12:38:00 PM - Multichannel News

Last year I think there was a general expectation in the industry that most simple (non-DVR) set top boxes would all sell for about $40. Some with extra features--such as a universal remote control, s-video output or program guide--would sell for slightly more. But if you would settle for a generic one then you basically could get it for free after the coupon.

It doesn't look like that happened. $60 seems to be a common price. I have yet to see a store discount them or put them on sale in a weekly ad. Is there any incentive to do so? Many of the stores around here do not have any in stock. The ones that do only have a few left. They don't have to put them on sale to sell them. All they have to do is put them on the shelves.

I would love to know the cost of manufacturing these units. I'm curious if the cost is higher than anticipated or if there is some corporate greed going on here. Perhaps this experiment of government-issued coupons that expire in 90 days introduces some unanticipated economic anomalies.

I think Charlie is reacting to the fact that competitive boxes are selling for nearly $60 with no shortage of demand. He sees some money on the table. He smells the opportunity for an extra $20 per box. He also might have overestimated the potential to turn TR-40 customers into satellite subscribers.

I am very curious as to what will happen once the digital transition is complete and the last of the coupons have expired. I predict that once coupons are taken out of the equation, we will quickly see these $60 boxes go down to $30--with occasional sales taking them down to $20. Perhaps these coupons will go down in history as being nothing more than corporate welfare for the electronics retailers.

If this is true and our orders get canceled, I have a new name for the box. The DISHonest.

I am with ya there Pepper. I am in the unfortunate number that gambled on Provantage and the DTVPal. I KNEW ( well suspected strongly) that this was going to happen, so I hedged my bets by having more coupons at my disposal. I have not received any notification from Provantage, but I expect to very soon from what I see posted at AVS. I have to wonder though if Provantage might have found out that Echostar/Sling was jacking the price and they didn't want to have any part in it, so they just defaulted, got decertified, and bailed. I am not too happy with them....:(

I will be very very VERY dissapointed in Echostar if the 59.99 price stands for the DTVPal, and I will tell you I do NOT suffer fools gladly. If Ergren thinks he's gonna gain customers for Dish Network by pulling this....I'll do him like I do Directv, I'll tell everyone who asks me to stay away from BOTH of them. ;)

The CECB program is great for China's business. The January conversation with E* clearly states they priced the boxes below cost. Apparantly as a marketing ploy, they gave the NTIA back a penny on the deal. It's not about the $60, it's more about the mess. Changing the price after the pre-orders started has created waves all the way down to leaving customers without their coupons. The NTIA is stinky about not remedying the lost coupon, but it's the customer who loses; the NTIA takes the $40 back.

They can't say the TR-40 needs to be CECB approved, because it already was on the CECB approved list. When the CECB list was cleared of duplicates, Echostar TR-40 and SlingMedia TR-40 entries went away and only Dish Net DTVPal remained.

I would love to know the cost of manufacturing these units. I'm curious if the cost is higher than anticipated or if there is some corporate greed going on here. Perhaps this experiment of government-issued coupons that expire in 90 days introduces some unanticipated economic anomalies.

I do not know if it is truly at cost but a local -CA tv station recently flash cut to digital and is selling converter boxes "at cost" for $25

AZ-TV Phoenix Prescott Arizona News and Entertainment Arizona's Own - Converter Boxes At Cost!

Great find! If they are that cheap, the govt would have saved a ton of money -- and landfill -- by giving them away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)