DTV Pal

On the Charlie Chat they mentioned that the DTVPal would be available on June 19th for $59. Charlie then mentioned that another model would be available after testing for $39.99. Does anybody have any idea what the differences are between these 2 units?

Last edited:
dweber

I am not a Dish Network subscriber so I don't get Charlie Chat on channel 101.
If you have the ability I would love if you could post the video of this on YouTube to share with those who don't have Dish.

Thank You

Thank you Smith, P.
SatelliteGuys.US :usa

Charlie Chat 6/9/08

Hosts: Charlie Ergen and Eric Sahl

Dennis:
When the DTVPal converter will be available?
A: about June 19th $59, waiting on a $39 box to be approved.

We will offer an installation service for those that cannot install the digital converters, we offer a locals channels only package for $9.99 a month. Our website will have information on this.

MAKE SURE YOU VIEW THE SECOND IMAGE

Now I wonder what those of us pre-ordered what what is actually approved on the NTIA list.

What happened to the DTVPal newsletter?
"To receive updates as information becomes available please sign up for our analog to digital"

I wonder if we will have to wait untill
Technical Chat August 11th or Charlie Chat September 8th
to get the news about the $39.99 converter?

Last edited:
malouff,
with those that purchased the dtv pal preorder for 39.99 from freedtvshop via gvt coupons and the 59.99 price change, how does that effect the preorders already placed?
do we have too pony up more cash?

This is what John/Mosquito said:
FreeDTVShop.com said:
We will honor the pre-order price at FreeDTVShop.com so long as our wholesale price does not change from what was quoted. This is news to us as much as it is to you all. We will not honor our price and will cancel orders if we end up losing money on the deal. I hate to say that, but it would absolutely kill my business to take on that burden. We're already making peanuts on them as it is quoted.

"No payment is deducted until the product is in the fulfillment cycle" and that includes your coupons.

John the owner said he already has a migraine with this news and will start working in the morning to get it resolved.

He does visit the AVS Forums and also does respond to the Contact Us on the home page of FreeDTVShop.com

Lets hope this gets resolved before coupons expire and the NTIA does not re-issue so we will need to get new ones from family and friends.

So they raised the prices to $59.99 on the $39.99 units? That is a slap in the face. Wait this long to bring a product out then announce that you are going to charge half more for it. They better have an outstanding product if they are going to do that. Sounds like greed to me seeing how they raised the price up to what the other units are going for but Wal-Mart has their price beat. They also might have chosen to raise the retail price due to a lot of retailers complaining that there was not enough money to be made to make it worth their while to carry them.

So they raised the prices to $59.99 on the $39.99 units? That is a slap in the face.
May 12, 2008
Hosts: Mark Jackson & Dan Minnick

Digital Transition

Dish Customers won't be affected, but people with OTA will be greatly affected by the digital transition.

Michael Hawkey VP, EchoStar Sales Presentation

TR-40 is now the DTVPal
Features:
*On screen 7 day program guide
*Parental Locks
*Analog pass through(some TV stations have permission to broadcast till 2011)
*Low Cost $40 off with Govt. Coupon
DTV2009.gov or 1-888-DTV-2009 for DTV info
dtv.com
According to this older Chat it looks like the TR-40 and DTVPal were technically the same thing
but I guess that was wrong especially the price.

I guess we might have to wait until
to get the news about the planned $39.99 converter.

I wonder what name it will go under and what features will be removed or changed.

According to this older Chat it looks like the TR-40 and DTVPal were technically the same thing
but I guess that was wrong especially the price.

I guess we might have to wait until
to get the news about the planned $39.99 converter.

I wonder what name it will go under and what features will be removed or changed.

This is very disappointing. I ordered my coupons last week thinking the DTVPal would be out when they promised and priced as they promised. I guess I should have known better. I had been holding off ordering them so they wouldn't expire before it came out. Now t looks like I may have to either pay a premium or settle for one of the lesser boxes out there.:mad:

how often do the execs on the chat, know what they are talking about? i would not be suprised to find that 'somebody' is confused/misinformed.

Dennis:

approved by whom? hhmmm...

how often do the execs on the chat, know what they are talking about? i would not be suprised to find that 'somebody' is confused/misinformed.

Dennis:

approved by whom? hhmmm...
The hosts were Charlie Ergen and Eric Sahl

A person would think the co-founder and CEO of EchoStar Charlie Ergen would know what is going on.

For the old TR-40 you can see that it was "FREE" $39.99 with a coupon.
The box for the DTVPal just says "$40 off with government coupon"
This means the price can be whatever.

I do hope you are correct pabeader that Charlie Chat was confused/misinformed.

One thing for sure is they better start damage control if they were.

Hopefully this time they could use there Newsletter we all signed up for.

That or change the website that can be found at http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/ or any of the dtvpal ones like http://www.dtvpal.com/

Thank you pabeader for at least giving us some hope

i can't say any more...

not all approvals are external...
I get what you are hinting at pabeader. ;)

There is only one box the DTVPal and they have it approved internally to be sold for $59 and are waiting on a internal approval for a $39.99 price.

Thank You pabeader

THEY STILL NEED DAMAGE CONTROL

oops you might have taken me too literally this time...

also, remember. Who is the target market for this product? i bet not a single one of them even knows that (gasp!) this site exists.

"The hosts were Charlie Ergen and Eric Sahl

A person would think the co-founder and CEO of EchoStar Charlie Ergen would know what is going on."

this has proven false many times in the past...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)