DVB? for FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What are you talking about? DVB is an encoding standard not hardware you can buy.

ok i want to test Fta using my computer

I understand FTA i have a vs 2000 p and x
i also have a sonicview360 elite and a coolsat
6000 premium ive been testing for a few
years and enjoy it
I also understand computers i have a
ASUS Striker II Formula MB with a E7400
with two Asus 9800gtx+ SLI'd and a 32"
Viewsonic Monitor.

I was wondering which PCI card or external USB
Device would be worth the money to test FTA with.

Thankyou very much

Craig

Well, if you want to "future proof" your investment, you'll be shopping for a card ( or external usb box) that is DVB-S2 compatible, since we have more DVB-S2 feeds and programming coming. Slowly, all the feeds, and FTA programming are going to drift in that direction. It's more efficient for the providers ( that means cheaper to transmit), so it'll happen as budgets permit.
I use the Technotrend s2-3200, and it works fine for me.
:)

The term "testing" FTA is synonymous with hacking.
So, get your terminology straight.
We have no testers here.

:D Warning... only partially serious rant follows...

Well we DO have testers here. I consider myself to be a tester.
And we DO have hackers here. I have considered myself to be both a tester and a hacker LONG before I ever got into TVRO stuff, and before TV was even sent via satellite.

I know what you're trying to say though, and I tend to use the same terminology myself, however it really bothers me that people have taken the term hacker (and now tester) and turned it from a good thing into a bad thing.

To me, a hacker is just someone who reverse engineers a device and figures out how it works, and finds ways of using it for purposes other than it was designed for. Nothing wrong with that. And without hackers, the current computer industry would still revolve around mainframes.

It is true that most of the people that do the DN/BEV pirating are also hackers, but only a small percentage of hackers are involved in any illegal activity. It is just as true that they are mostly all programmers, or GEEKs, or several other terms, and we wouldn't want to suggest that programmers are BAD because a few of them are pirates. It just seems unfair to characterize hackers as being bad people based on the activities of a small percentage of them. They are NOT.

My tendency is to use the word Pirate, instead of hacker, except when I do that, then I feel bad about my grandson, who goes around dressed up as a pirate, with a sword and eye patch and everything. Don't want to make him think he's a bad person. Or even the Pgh baseball team.... well I guess they ARE a bad team, at least now. Or the Portland, Me hockey team... they're not TOO bad.

Anyway, yes, the word "tester" told me that at a minimum, there is a pretty good chance that the person has been reading the ??pirate?? sites (or FTA sites as THEY call themselves). I just wish that there was some way to describe these people without taking the name "hacker" in vain. :)

Sorry for getting off track. Waiting to hear what the explanation of "testing" will be. :)

HMMM... So you are saying that every body who pays 200 dollars plus for a fta
reciever and 60 plus for a dish and 20 plus each for lnbs and never mind cables and the such are just watching the free tv that you get without a program or updated codes ???

Hmmm I like to think that im in the grey area where Dish net blings their signal off my head all day without my permission and so I gust grab it and use it ive tried a few different types of recievers and spent a few dollars on the trying meathod and love it when someone out there has the idea to give me a prg or code and if you dont use it you should try its fun for the kids (3 @ 14, 10 and 8) and wife to ive also saved a few dollars by not paying into the over priced cable network in my area or the very regulated sat systems in this country with their propaganda to denounce the people trying to save all the working poor saps like myself a few dollars and still be able to be entertained like the very few rich

but that is just me and my thoughts

all i wanted was to know was which computer FTA card was worth buying...

Thank You

CraigDR

HMMM... So you are saying that every body who pays 200 dollars plus for a fta
reciever and 60 plus for a dish and 20 plus each for lnbs and never mind cables and the such are just watching the free tv that you get without a program or updated codes ???
No, not quite...

two 2.4 meter prime focus dishes (and preparing another to install)
one 3 meter prime focus dish
four 1.2 meter offset dishes
one motorized Channel Master 1.0x.70
one dual orthomode feed
one orthomode feed
High stability C band and PLL KU band LNB's
four dish positioners
five receivers (just for me)
one home theater computer for HD, 4:2:2, and DVB-S2
switching matrix with 6 LNB power inserters
over 1.5 miles of cable
and various other goodies way too numerous to mention...

...just to watch the free tv that you get without a program or updated codes.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts