Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
Hello again guys

been a few days (years) since i got to play with my c-band system and i only get to play with it for a couple of days ..... its dark now and i'm still out there 88 degrees 90% humidity
7 1/2 ft unimesh
vbox III
Micro HD
dual output C-band LNBF

i can hit S2 on 91 is S2 on 87 harder to hit ?

87W is a tough one on the C Band side, a 7.5' dish probably will have trouble with it.

What brand/model LNBF are you using? On my 9' dish with an ortho feed and two Norsats, I had no problem with 87W but with cheap LNBs on the ortho I couldn't pick up 87W at all. Right now I have a Titanium C1WPLL on it and it pulls in 87W fine.

I have the older c band dual output lnbf from satav (GEOSAT pro C2) from a while back. although one side seems dead **

i do have a chap corotor with lnb's i could try just don't know if i will get the time this trip ....

hopefully i will get more time to play later today bad luck yesterday found 87 but dropped my 7 inch tv (lcd) and busted the screen so i got to find another one
i really liked that small tv perfect for out at the dish.

** this wasn't a shot at Brian, the lnbf has been out on the dish for over a year before i woke up and thought i only have coax on one side. the other side stayed out in the weather unprotected and i suspect gained water & weather elements before i decided to cover it with a cut off coax end .

Reactions: Titanium
oh forgot to mention i hit all the S2 on 91 lowest Q was at 40% highest was at 70% all that would show up seemed watchable

Ah, that stinks with the TV! I know how that is! A year or so ago I was tuning up my C dish and dropped my ortho feed onto some ledge rock below the feed, broke both of the Norsat LNBs that were on it. I was on a step ladder and nowadays my legs aren't always working right, it was a choice of either drop the feed or take a bad dive myself.

Anyway, I bought cheap LNBs for the ortho and they worked all right except on 87W and a few other transponders. I was planning on buying a couple more Norsats for the ortho but the C1WPLL was cheap and I decided to try that for the time being and it worked just as good as the ortho had with the Norsats, so I left it on it. Easier to use as far as switching and no drifting either.

I've never used a Geosat Pro C2 but if one side is not working I myself would replace it, probably like you said, water might've gotten into it. The C2WPLL would probably be a good replacement at $55, or the C1PLL at $40, if you only need single out and not dual.

ok had to realign the 7 1/2 ft dish to gain 87 S2 ( after 2 years of no use it was 1/8 inch off), but no problem getting it here ( must be the location since i'm in the middle of the US ).

Q is only about 60% for the luken channels with the GEOSAT pro C2. i have several backups for it so switching out isn't a problem, but would like to try the C2WPLL out sometime. ( maybe my next trip down ) :)

thanks for the help :) now for more playing time... next trip, change lnbf and tune up the 10 ft'er.

Reactions: . Raine
continued trying to tune 7 1/2 ft dish only to find the pole has drifted so its now not plumb. looks to be 1/8 inch out of plumb. its ok for tuning single sats but makes the arc almost impossible to track . can't fix today will have to be a future project the mount on this pole sits loose so i'm able to compensate a little to where its closer to 1/16 th out of plumb.

continued trying to tune 7 1/2 ft dish only to find the pole has drifted so its now not plumb. looks to be 1/8 inch out of plumb. its ok for tuning single sats but makes the arc almost impossible to track . can't fix today will have to be a future project the mount on this pole sits loose so i'm able to compensate a little to where its closer to 1/16 th out of plumb.

You can SHIM the mount itself on the pole to get the mount level. There's different ways to do it, but how I do it is to use a DIGITAL level (for exactness, Sears sells one fairly cheap), and metal (steel) pieces used as wedges. If you use wood wedges, and it gets wet it can swell up and cause problems. Loosen the mount bolts slightly, drive shim pieces between mount and pole until it's perfectly leveled in North-South, East-West. Alternately tighten the mount bolts slowly back and forth across from each other while observing the digital level to make sure it holds it's level in every way. Don't do the final crank-down of the bolts until you verify the dish is tracking well.

Reactions: gabshere
great idea thats exactly what i did ( i'll post pics ) i've been tuning the sat kinda redneck style vbox and tv at dish

also setting up a micro bud rig i just don't have a lot of time to play with it ,,,, but needed to get the dishes off the ground dirt and rust was setting in

well devoted a couple hours to a micro bud project just couldn't draw a signal on 1 meter dish .. so i went back to the 7 1/2 ft er its tracking from 83 - 105 getting s2 all the way i shimmed it up and seems to do fine.

so i took a bit more time and developed a monster :) first it was a dual feed mount then added a third lnbf center lnbf gets 99 @ 70% left lnbf gets 91 @ 75% the lnbf on the right side gets 105 @ 35-52 % only on 1 tp it got dark and couldn't fine tune it much ( i was hoping to hit 103 )

first pic is shim second pic is two feeds mounted 91 & 99 , third pic is the triple mount

Attachments

• IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 215
ok its about too hot to be out playing with dish
finished up project monster ( multi feed from 7 1/2 ft'er ) final conclusion
got 91 pretty good signal (S2) got 99 (good signnal for S2) picked up 1 mux from 97 (nbc S2 i think at 44%) and got 105 (mostly around 40-60 % ) so not bad for playing around .

almost time to go back to work so ... until next time maybe then we can work on the 10 ft dish :)

Attachments

• IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    959.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
Reactions: . Raine
oh i forgot to mention i replaced the coax end on the lnbf side i thought went bad due to being left open in the weather its working fine :)

Love seeing pictures of peoples set-ups. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)