dvb world dvb-s2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

updatelee

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
CFB Edmonton
anyone try these out ? how do you like them ? they have the same 30Ms/s limitation the technotrend s2 usb one does ? will it work with tsreader ?

I bought the DVBs2HD usb box last week. It is not well supported, at least yet. The software that comes with it is actually quite nice, it took a while for me to figure out how to use it. I have not been able to lock any dvb-s2 signals yet, it seems to see the transponder, gives a signal and quality reading during a scan but won't write any channels to the list. I'm not sure what is going on there. More playing necessary. It seems to work fine on dvb-s signals.
There is no source module for it in Tsreader, it works in Dvbdream but seems touchy, sometimes locks up.
I'm not sure what you mean by 30Ms/s? The specs online say it supports symbol rates 2 to 45 Msps, is that what you are asking? It is a LOT smaller than my Genpix Skywalker I
I sent a note to support at Dvbworld asking for help 4 or 5 days ago, still haven't heard back...thats not a good sign.

Attachments

• dvb 009 (2256 x 1500).jpg
    dvb 009 (2256 x 1500).jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 1,106
Last edited:
wow that is small, Ive also got the skywalker-1 and thought it was small !

aparently the technotrend s2-3600 (usb) has issues locking anything with a symbol rate higher then 30000. the s2-3200 (pci) does not have this issue.

Im really interested in tsreader support. Hopefully it will be supported in the future. if and when it does I wonder if the dvb-s2 version also supports dss like the dvb-s one does.

Yea,its very tiny, when I first opened the package I thought, this is so small its gotta overheat. But it seems to run cool. I wasn't aware of that symbol rate limitation on the TT device, something to watch out for. I looked at the DVBworld online site for info on modulation techniques but there is basically nothing about it so I can't say about DSS. Tsreader support is my main objective with it. I sent another note this morning and suggested they send one of their devices to Rod. Perhaps he could find it in his heart to write a source module for it?

Using the DVBWorld, to Lock DVB-S2 you must Add TP manual using the correct FEC, AUTO will not work. If there is a "Pilot" option, select it "ON".
If you can, use the DVB-S2 8PSK MUX from Galaxy 14 to practice.
(don't know if it's OK to post TP info)

Thanks for the input Lak7, I am manually adding all the info including the correct FEC, there is no pilot option in the dvbworld software. I'll give G-14 a shot, thanks for that info, I've been trying on AMC 6 and Galaxy 26. I finally got a lock on the dvb-s2 mux on G-26, the software logs 12 channels in the channel list as tv1-12, but when I double click on one nothing happens, no picture, audio, nothing, something is still not right but I think I am close.

With the DVBWorld, I couldn't SEE the MUX on G26, only Lock. I have an old PC, wasn't worth it to me to upgrade, I got a Diamond 9000 HD instead. The G14 MUX is ITC some of the time, and was viewable. Same with HotPass, though it looked like a Slide Show on my PC.
As for the Pilot Option, Some have it as an option(default OFF of course) some do not, I couldn't remember on the DVBWorld.

Ok, thanks, I tried G-14 but nothing, I'll keep trying, perhaps I'll catch it ITC. I would like to know for sure if the device really can run dvb-s2 before I complain too much about it. It shouldn't be a problem with the computer, its a 6850 dual 3.0 cores, 2 gig ram, 3870 HD Diamond Viper video.

Did you get a Lock on G14, and couldn't view, or no Lock. I think Lyngsat does not have the correct FEC. If you didn't get a Lock, I'll look it up.

No lock on G-14, I tried a few times this afternoon and again tonight, I'm using the freq's and fec from Lyngsat, if its wrong I'd appreciate the values you used to lock it. What satellite is Hotpass on?

I wasn't able to lock anything, but I did notice on 4060 of that satellite I was getting signal and quality, just flickering, not enough to get a lock on. This morning I tried it again and there is a pretty strong signal, but only about 45 quality and that is not enough for a lock with this box. Its hard to fine tune that satellite because everything else is booming in, pretty much pegging my meters. I'm beginning to think even though my dish is close enough to the arc for c-band dvb-s, it may not be quite on for dvb-s2? The weather is nicer today, I have some time and I think I'll take some measurements on the dish, I might be able to make some improvements.
The Dvbworld people did respond to my call for help, they sent very descriptive pictures of how to add transponders and hints on tuning so that was encouraging to see that they support their products.

I don't have a dvb-s2 one, but do have the normal dvbworld usb box. I love it. It works wonders for me as a mpg recording device. The box does get hot on occassion. I keep mine cool by keeping it elevated on a pile of sculpey modeling clay under the middle part of the mounting, mounted on top of my computer desk - that keeps it about an inch or so off of the desk itself. I also keep a little fan rotating fan running on the floor near a bunch of cords and junk that plugs in my system. Air from that does reach up to the top of the desk. Don't know if the s2 ones are any different, but the original one has a weird European electrical box converter thingy since they don't use normal flat prongs in the electrical outlets over there like we do here... the converter makes the thing that actually comes out of the box plug in. It works, but be very careful with it since I've seen sparks when plugging and unplugging that. I have to unplug it on occasion to make the computer see the usb driver... for some dumb reason when I have a shortcut to it in start menu folder to auto start on computer reboot, sometimes the computer won't recognize the driver til the plug is pulled out and replugged in.

The sculpey solution is nice since you can also play with it as a stress reliever... that's the real reason I had it near the computer in the first place. As long as the sculpey does not heat over 275 degrees or so it should stay soft for years... if it's overheating that much, you have some serious issues.... You can get sculpey in the craft section at Wal-mart for about 5 bucks. It comes in a lot of different colors.

I also use a dab of the sculpey to dull down the bright led light on the usb box since that thing just about blinded me out of the box since it's so darn bright.

I'm glad you included an explanation of what sculpey was because I've never heard of it before:). Sounds like something that could be handy in a lot of ways.
I haven't noticed that the dvb-s2 box gets hot, once in a while it is warm but never hot to the touch. I haven't had much luck getting dvb-s2 signals with it, and I'm noticiing a few others are also having problems.
My dvbworld box also has a bright led, it is a blue color and I think I'll probably have to cover it if/when I start using the box on a regular basis, it is a bit distracting, especially when the room is dark. Thanks for the info.

I finally got a lock on the dvb-s2 mux on G-26, the software logs 12 channels in the channel list as tv1-12, but when I double click on one nothing happens, no picture, audio, nothing, something is still not right but I think I am close.

You guys do know that these channels are H.264 video right? That means you'll need a codec installed on your computer that can handle it. If you have software to playback blu-ray or Hd-dvd installed you probably have a codec installed that can handle H.264.

aparently the technotrend s2-3600 (usb) has issues locking anything with a symbol rate higher then 30000. the s2-3200 (pci) does not have this issue.

The technotrends usb tuner doesn't have an issue locking high symbol rates. It locks them fine. It just has an issue delivering any data from signals with higher data rates. Note that's data rate and not symbol rate as there is a distinction. The data rate depends on the modulation used ( 2 bits/symbol for Qpsk or 3 bits/symbol with 8psk), and the FEC rates in addition to the symbol rates. So, it's not just a matter of this issue affecting higher symbol rate signals as FEC rate and modulation method comes into play. Anyway, the behavior you see from the Technotrends usb tuner on signals that are affected by this issue is the tuner locks the signal just fine but delivers no data. So Tsreader shows no PIDS and reports a data rate of 0.0 mbits/sec. As to whether or not this box would be affected by that issue as well, it would seem unlikely unless it's maybe a clone of the technotrends product.

I will also say this. In my experience some of the stbs people are using right now for DVB-s2, like the coolsat 8000 and pansat 9000, seem to have really exceptional tuners in them and tend to be able to lock some signals that other devices cannot. At least that's been my experience with my equipment. So, it could be that some of you just aren't getting a good enough signal to lock with the dvbworld device. I'm not saying that is the case, but it could be. I know my Technotrends PCI card needs a bit better signal than the coolsat 8000, and on some signals my 8.5' dish isn't enough for it even though the Coolsat seems to manage with it.

I wasnt aware it was a data rate issue, it would make more sense, most posts I had come across seemed to be refrencing the symbol rate.

Hopefully its an issue that can be resolved with drivers, I really enjoy my laptop and the usb genpix I have, I was really hoping to add a usb dvb-s2 tuner as well :)

You guys do know that these channels are H.264 video right? That means you'll need a codec installed on your computer that can handle it. If you have software to playback blu-ray or Hd-dvd installed you probably have a codec installed that can handle H.264.

Thanks for the info Stefan, the Cyberlink h.264 codec is included with the Dvbworld software and I have Coreavc and arcsoft h.264 codecs for Dvbdream. There is no provision to change codecs in the Dvbworld software...at least that I can find, which is kind of a pain. I'm not sure why it won't display, I was thinking just not enough signal but if there is enough to lock and scan in, it should display? Dvb-s2 seems to be a different animal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts