DVI Does not work on Toshiba 57H83

robul

Original poster
May 3, 2004
The installer came today and hooked up everything. The VOOM works on the component video fine but when i use the DVI its blank with no video. i tried Two different cables and I also tried turning the box off and tv on and starting them in different sequences.

I can get audio on the DVI setting but no video.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with my box?

How much difference between the DVI or the HD component?

Thanks In advance for any help
Robert

First, a stupid question: Have you switched your TV set to the correct (DVI) input?
Now, not so stupid questions: Is your DVI input HDCP compliant? and which resolutions does it support? Please check your TV manual.

Welcome to VOOM!

sounds like you have an HDCP problem. your TV is not HDCP complient, in other words the model is too old. The DVI output will only send video to an HDCP enabled TV or projector. check and let us know, if the TV is or isn't HDCP.

thanks guys.. Yes I set it to DVI input and only recieve the DVI audio

Toshiba 57H83 Features
57" Wide Screen HD Compatible Projection Television featuring Improved IDSC™ Pro with 720p capability
3D Y/C (4MB, 10 Bit) Digital Comb Filter with Vertical Contour Correction provides more accurate processing of RF and composite video signals for a sharper, cleaner picture. This advanced Comb Filter significantly reduces detail noise, seen as shimmering or flicker, in complex or intricately detailed scenes
TruView™ combines the following picture enhancement technologies: Black Level Expansion, Fine White, Flesh Tone Correction and Color Detail Enhancer, this system automatically reproduces more accurate picture detail and true color.
CableClear™ Digital Noise Reduction circuitry optimizes poor NTSC signals from antenna or cable, this new video noise reduction system eliminates video noise (snow) for a clean crisp image
Dual ColorStream® HD Component Video Input provides the ultimate picture quality from high resolution component video signals.
Illuminated Universal Remote also controls most manufacturers™ VCRs

VIDEO
TheaterFine HD .52mm Super Fine Pitch Screen
DVI-HDTV Input with HDCP
PowerFocus™ HD2 CRTs
HD Dynamic Contrast
Cinema Mode (3:2 Pulldown Switch)

robul,

Did you try setting the DVI output in 1080i mode? The default is 720p mode, and the original software had some compatibility issues with 720p through DVI.

Press the red button behind the door on the front-right of the STB until you see only the top bar lit. That is 1080i mode.

I checked the Owner's Manual for your TV set. It is HDCP compliant! And it should support both 1080i and 720p. Never the less, try switching the STB resolution as Ken F suggested.

Also, I am not sure if this matters, but note that your manual recommends turning on the TV set first, and only then the STB.

Edit: Looks like by the time I wrote this, you've already solved the problem. Good. Enjoy VOOM now!

I have the 57h83, have you noticed flickering with the DVI connection? I've had it since day one, although it got better after the software upgrade, it still flickers a good deal. Fortunately the component connection works fine, but I would like the DVI to work.

Lobstah said:
mtuller,
Just out of curiosity, why?

Lob

Why I want it to work? Because I don't like things that don't work. but really, I have a couple of things that I would like to use through the component inputs on my TV, if the Voom STB could be used through the DVI connection, then that would free up one of my component connections so i don't have to constantly swap cables when using different equipment.

-m

51h83

I have a Toshiba 51h83 and It flickers with the DV-I cable also..I was told by voom that it is probably a compatibility problem..but if it works for a 57h83 why not mine the 51"? I would rather use the DV-I cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts