DVR 625 Recording Freezes

kwongs1979

Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have a DVR 625.
From Live TV, I perform a rewind. Once the rewind gets to the beginning of the recording, the entire picture freezes. It shows a PLAY arrow on TV; and nothing from Remote Control would work. After leaving it for couple of minutes, normal TV playback (in LIVE mode) resumes. This problem is repeatable. I tried the following failed attempts: (1) unplug power, wait awhile, and restore power to DVR; (2) restore to factory setting; (3) perform a hard reboot by holding the POWER pushbutton of DVR. Any ideas?

Called Dish Network, tech support said that the DVR is still under warranty but asked for $15 for shipping of a refurbished DVR, even though it is not my equipment and I have been paying $6 per month for DVR service. I declined. It looks like it is time to go to Directv for a HD DVR upgrade. It does not make much business sense to lose a 2 year plus customer and then has to very try hard to win him back later!
I have reached a tipping point:
1) Two years ago, as soon as I signed up, Dish Network introduced HD DVR. Dish Network asked for $100 for the HD DVR upgrade which I had declined.
2) A few months ago, I downgraded from 200 channels to 120 channels. As result, I lost my $5 bundle discount (saying that the discount does not apply to 120 channels). In addition, Dish Network charged me $5.00 for the downgrade in service, but there is no charge if it is an upgrade in service.
3) Now with the DVR broken and continuing paying $6 per month for the service, Dish Network asks for $15 for shipping a refurbished unit to my house!

Last edited:
Called Dish Network, tech support said that the DVR is still under warranty but asked for $15 for shipping of a refurbished DVR, even though it is not my equipment and I have been paying $6 per month for DVR service. I declined. It looks like it is time to go to Directv for a HD DVR upgrade. It does not make much business sense to lose a 2 year plus customer and then has to very try hard to win him back later!
I have reached a tipping point:
1) Two years ago, as soon as I signed up, Dish Network introduced HD DVR. Dish Network asked for $100 for the HD DVR upgrade which I had declined.
2) A few months ago, I downgraded from 200 channels to 120 channels. As result, I lost my $5 bundle discount (saying that the discount does not apply to 120 channels). In addition, Dish Network charged me $5.00 for the downgrade in service, but there is no charge if it is an upgrade in service.
3) Now with the DVR broken and continuing paying $6 per month for the service, Dish Network asks for $15 for shipping a refurbished unit to my house!

Sorry for you problems,but that's the way it is.Good Luck with DirecTV!.:)

Every two years, I have to sign up with the alternate company in order to get my equipment upgraded; or in this case, to ditch the broken equipment. I just signed up for the Directv Choice Ultimate package that comes with 40-50 HD channels (for life - $10 fee waived). Since it is through AAA promotion, I receive an additional $10 discount for 20 months on top of the currect Directv promotion.

, Dish Network asks for $15 for shipping a refurbished unit to my house!

So what's the big deal?
Every piece of consumer electronic equipment I've ever seen the consumer is responsible for getting the defective product to the authorized repair center/manufacturer for repair or replacement.

This will come down to "Who owns the equipment?" Even though there is a contract for 24 months, I did not recall paying for the equipment. The equipment is still officially owned by Dish Network.

This will come down to "Who owns the equipment?" Even though there is a contract for 24 months, I did not recall paying for the equipment. The equipment is still officially owned by Dish Network.

yeah and when you cancel they will charge you 15 bucks for each receiver you must return......

By late fall E will bleed so many subs they will go back to retaining them rather than pissing them off to get a extra buck.

But by then the bad reputation they will have earned will haunt them forever.

Part of the leased receiver fee should include free repairs within reason.....

The (new) $6 DVR Service fee for use of a DVR should not be confused with the $5.99 or so warrantee fee used to avoid the $95 field service fee.

You may be able to rewind without going back. Press DVR twice and re-Select the show and press Start Over. It can be faster than 300X backward if you are far into a show. (I wish there was a go-to-the-end choice and back off from there.)
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)