E3 Playstation 3 NEWS!

BobMurdoch said:
I love it... Sony is doing the Core System trick and releasing their own braindead unit..... At least they all have hard drives....

I'll stick with my 360....

yeah wasnt sony griping at Microsoft for doing that? or was that just rumors of that stuff, I get so confused anymore there are soooo many stories out on the internet nowadays!

mwgiii said:
The rumors are the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 will be $100.

Uh uh. No way they can get it that cheap out of the gate..... I'm guessing $199 (which I'm assuming they will still be taking a loss on at first).

Plus, since there is a USB slot on the back of the unit, you won't have to mess up the clean look of the 360 by plugging in a wire at the front... just hook it up at the rear....

Just make sure you give us a long enough cord please..... I have to find room in my stack somewhere.....

I have been watching the PS3 boards today and man are they depressing. 3 out of 4 posts are highly negative about the price, system and conference.

I was most looking forward to Warhawk which the director of the game played a demo. He looked like he was having a very hard time controlling the airplane with Sony's new tilt controller. He couldn't even land it on a landing pad. He put it down hanging off the side.

ANY press conference has a 75% negative rating right afterwards (watch us after a chat)....

I'm hoping for 360 to come out on top myself, as I don't plan on getting the PS3. We'll see.....

As for the handling of the Warhawk, they only had less than a week to provide the game with instructions for the controller. Give them a month and I bet the controller and game will work seemlessly.

BobMurdoch said:
ANY press conference has a 75% negative rating right afterwards (watch us after a chat)....

I'm hoping for 360 to come out on top myself, as I don't plan on getting the PS3. We'll see.....

So far the Nintendo boards are about 15 to 1 positive and the XBox boards are about 10 to 1 positive.

mwgiii said:
So far the Nintendo boards are about 15 to 1 positive and the XBox boards are about 10 to 1 positive.

I'm pleasantly surprised then.....

Of course they had me at Halo (3)....

Current Poll on the IGN PS3 Insiders board:

Will You Buy A PS3 At Launch?

Current Poll Results:

pixel_poll_1.gif
29% PS3 Premium -$599 (57 votes)
pixel_poll_2.gif
1% PS3 not so premium :( - $499 (3 votes)
pixel_poll_1.gif
1% 6 months after launch (3 votes)
pixel_poll_2.gif
1% 1 yr after launch (3 votes)
pixel_poll_1.gif
17% 2 yrs or after a severe cut in price (33 votes)
pixel_poll_2.gif
2% 5 yrs just right price cut and a awsome selection of games (5 votes)
pixel_poll_1.gif
46% NEVER!!! SONY... YOU LOSE "You are the weakest link GOODBYE" (89 votes)

stuart628 said:
I am not saying it is, but!! in the future wont blue ray depend on HDMI? for now it can send it out reg. High def cables, but I thought for sure, once they really got into the blue ray production the securitys on the disk would make it only avail to HDMI, if not it would be downrezzed? am I wrong? also for 100 less you really are getting a bare bones system, for that much you could have a 360 premium a game and a extra controller and be a little better off. just my opinnion there!

While I was hoping Sony would keep it in the $399-$499 range, $599 is still the cheapest Blu-Ray player currently announced... plus, you get a PS3 at the same time!!

Also, didn't I read where studios (maybe it was just HD-DVD), agreed to not use the HDMI restriction for a while, by which time Blu-Ray Players (if they're still around) should be a lot cheaper, and have more features than the first-generation players.

~Alan

T2k said:
FYI: most of the people buy consoles to play games. Neither of the HD players are necessary for games (DVD-9 is would be more than enough for consoles for another decade) - MS would be the biggest losers ever in this business if they wouldn't give you the choice, I think.

When a stand alone Blu Ray player costs 1000 dollars the idea of buying the 599 PS3 for a game console only is ridiculous. Its a no brainer if it can play blu ray movies. The 360 with HD DVD is also a no brainer. IMO the 360 without the HD DVD player is a waste of money, doesnt the old xbox output HD?. The only reason for these game systems is high definition, and what is HD movement missing at the moment? HD DVD and Blu ray players. Besides Toshiba's HD DVd player.This is the killer app IMO. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not everybody wants a Blu-ray player that can play games. As a gaming machine, the PS3 is grossly overpriced; it doesn't offer anything of substance to differentiate it from the Xbox 360.

Honestly, how many of you use your PS2 or Xbox/360 as your primary DVD player? Why on earth would you use a 360 or a PS3 as your primary HD-DVD or Blu-ray player? So you can hear the cooling fan over the dialog? Unless you can do the mental gymnastics to convince yourself that you'll use the PS3 as your high definition video format player, it's just a gaming machine on par with the 360 that costs at least $200 more.

I still can't believe sony axed the rumble feature:mad:

And still no word on backward compatibility list with PS2.

vurbano said:
When a stand alone Blu Ray player costs 1000 dollars the idea of buying the 599 PS3 for a game console only is ridiculous.

Only for somebody who can't grasp why people buy a game conse...

Its a no brainer if it can play blu ray movies.

...unless you don't give a sh*t about Blu-Ray but you want to play games...

The 360 with HD DVD is also a no brainer. IMO the 360 without the HD DVD player is a waste of money, doesnt the old xbox output HD?.

360 is lightyears ahead of the old bulky box in everything, with or without HD-DVD.

The only reason for these game systems is high definition, and what is HD movement missing at the moment? HD DVD and Blu ray players. Besides Toshiba's HD DVd player.This is the killer app IMO. :rolleyes:

Quite contrary to your beliefs gaming is still the main selling point (Nintendo is the #1 of the market without any drive) and it was *always* "HD" on PCs - and now consoles are catching up.

PS: to make it clear I do believe HD players will gene3rate exrta sales for both companies but it's not a significant factor - if Sony will bank on Blu-Ray then PS3 is dead already. MS sold 4 million 360 units during the last 4 months (since it's really en masse available), all without any HD player.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)