Echostar 23 Relocates to 110W

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
I am assuming this would be a backup at 110? There isn't any additional bandwidth or transponder space to be gained from this move, correct? I assume the remaining transponders are still controlled by AT&T

Reactions: c-spand
At the rate that Dish is removing standard-def locals from the 110 satellite and turning off those spot beams, I am assuming that Dish is anticipating the existing satellite there may fail sooner than originally expected. They already had a partial failure at 110 years ago, that forced Dish to shuffle many local markets around and even put some markets on CONUS until very recently. I also assume that Echostar 23 does not have spotbeams (or at least not properly configured for US local markets) since it was originally intended for Brazilian service at the 45 slot.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Last I knew, there are TWO co-located sats at 110: one sate is an all Spotbeam sat that provides tremendous capacity for LIL. The other is primarily for ConUS, although I imagine (don't really know until I look it up) the ConUS also has some spotbeams to provide limited backup to the all spotbeam LIL. It seems that Echo 23 could be used as a satellite backhaul for Dish's 5G network, so this may be more than just about Dish satellite TV service. Echo 23 might play a part in Dish's wireless plans.

Withdrew the application this morning( june 7)
They might be making a correction in the application or have changed plans.

If they decide to move Echostar 23 to 110W, this is the area the Conus beam would cover.

1623180902875.png

At the rate that Dish is removing standard-def locals from the 110 satellite and turning off those spot beams, I am assuming that Dish is anticipating the existing satellite there may fail sooner than originally expected. They already had a partial failure at 110 years ago, that forced Dish to shuffle many local markets around and even put some markets on CONUS until very recently. I also assume that Echostar 23 does not have spotbeams (or at least not properly configured for US local markets) since it was originally intended for Brazilian service at the 45 slot.
This might be related with your other post of freeing all the TP @ 77°W, the moves have a reason.......

Echostar X (SSL / A2100AXS/ 42 Ku Band) was launched on Feb, 15, 2006 life span of 16 Years (2022)
Echostar XI (SSL / 1300 / 32 Ku Band) was launched on July 16, 2008 life span of 16 Years (2024)
It could be on of these birds is beginning to loose power, like a Bulb starting to fade or not propagating with the same intensity when it was new...they're preventing that with time ahead

Last I knew, there are TWO co-located sats at 110: one sate is an all Spotbeam sat that provides tremendous capacity for LIL. The other is primarily for ConUS, although I imagine (don't really know until I look it up) the ConUS also has some spotbeams to provide limited backup to the all spotbeam LIL. It seems that Echo 23 could be used as a satellite backhaul for Dish's 5G network, so this may be more than just about Dish satellite TV service. Echo 23 might play a part in Dish's wireless plans.
Echostar X (SSL / A2100AXS/ 42 Ku Band) was launched on Feb, 15, 2006 life span of 16 Years (2022)
Echostar XI (SSL / 1300 / 32 Ku Band) was launched on July 16, 2008 life span of 16 Years (2024)
It could be on of these birds is beginning to loose power, like a Bulb starting to fade or not propagating with the same intensity when it was new...they're preventing that with time ahead
This makes sense. I know for sure that Echostar X has spotbeams. When that satellite launched is when Dish started making a push to get as many markets as possible that had previously required a Super Dish (121) over to the 110 slot instead. It also helped with markets that had previously required a two-dish solution (with some minor local channels at the 61.5 slot) by getting all of those markets' channels consolidated at 110. With an expected end of life for Echostar X approaching shortly, it makes sense that Dish would want to eliminate the use of the spotbeams on that satellite for standard-def locals as quickly as possible.

You guys know if they granted petition of EXXIII to 110°W, I still see it @ 67.9°W
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 5.27.06 PM.png

I also see the satellite is only capable of CONUS beam
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 5.24.00 PM.png

You guys have more technical info? I couldn't find information stating EXXIII was S.B. capable, so my guess is it would be spare but for CONUS beams, all I could find was:

"The tri-band satellite has been designed to provide multi-mission capability, built to deliver services from any of eight different orbital slots – giving EchoStar a flexible tool to quickly respond to changing market demands by relocating the satellite’s capacity. Its communications payload hosts 32 Ku-Band transponders as well as Ka- and S-Band components."

As I recall, there are two broad area beams on Echostar 23.
One is the South America beam designed to cover Brazil from 44W
The other is the North American Conus beam designed to cover the US from the various Echostar permitted longitudes.
Both are standard KU transmission .

The technical details for the US beam at 110W are in the FCC application

The tech data is in the GIMS (ITU - International Telecommunications Union) database attached to the application

File access is available only by using the GIMS program (a custom Microsoft Access program)

Download the GIMS program and load the database into GIMS and view the various dbw contours, or view, sort, etc the multitude of technical specifications.
Ignore any requests for passwords, user, etc. They are used in the data entry and ITU filing process

As I recall, there are two broad area beams on Echostar 23.
One is the South America beam designed to cover Brazil from 44W
The other is the North American Conus beam designed to cover the US from the various Echostar permitted longitudes.
Both are standard KU transmission .

The technical details for the US beam at 110W are in the FCC application

The tech data is in the GIMS (ITU - International Telecommunications Union) database attached to the application

File access is available only by using the GIMS program (a custom Microsoft Access program)

Download the GIMS program and load the database into GIMS and view the various dbw contours, or view, sort, etc the multitude of technical specifications.
Ignore any requests for passwords, user, etc. They are used in the data entry and ITU filing process
Thank you, will check tomorrow, I see the satellite is @ 67.9°W FCC has not granted permission to relocate to orbital slot 110°W?