Ecoda+Diseqc or Cascaded Diseqc's for 8+ lnbs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Look Up

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Colorado
I've read the FAQ's and searched the forums to figure out the best way to connect more than 8 standard, single-output lnbs to my Coolsat 5000 (I'm thinking up to 16 max). The two methods I've found are as follows:

Receiver - Ecoda - 8x1 Diseqc's

Receiver - 8x1 Diseqc - 4x1 Diseqc's

Any recommendations on which is better, or maybe if there is a different way?
which is faster/more reliable? which takes less power? what's best overall?

I have had a EMP-Centauri 8x1 on my Merc II for about a year, a bit spendy but it works well with goto-xx. Two of those and a and an Ecoda 22khz switch will get you 16 sats

Thanks. I've seen the Digiwave and Emp_Centauri 8x1's - are these two always uncommitted or do I need to make sure that I get a particular model of 8x1 in these brands?

I had an Ecoda feeding two 4x1 Diseqc's that worked fine, but we had a close lightning strike yesterday that took out my CS5000. I hooked up my backup CS6000 and got nothing (zero signal/zero quality), so I may have lost the switches and possibly my lnb's - I'm still troubleshooting. I've been looking to go beyond 8 sats pretty soon anyway. By the way, I have all my dishes grounded, route all my cables through ground blocks, use a ground-fault interrupter circuit, and use surge protectors on the power cords. We also lost a phone, a computer, and the power amp on our cable tv. My daughter said it sounded like an explosion when the lightning hit.

only one out of three:

I've only seen one model from each company.
According to the reviews (please read our Review Department), I'd choose the Digiwave over the Emp-Centauri, due to its ease of use.
Read and make your own informed decision.

Then, DMSI imports one that looks like the Digiwave.
I really thought they were the same when I first encountered them.
However, in recent tests, one of the members tried some DMSI, and they simply did not perform as advertised.

So, in my mind, that leaves only one choice: genuine Digiwaves.

Thanks all. I did see some of the comments about the DMSI switches before and will avoid those and will go to a legitimate source for a switch. I have also learned myself to go for better quality on even the simple 4x1 Diseqc's - it's worth a little extra to get reliability so you don't have to try to figure out where the trouble is when signals quit coming through. I've had a couple of cheap switches just quit working on one port. If I go for the 8x1 cascading to 4x1's I will probably use the Digiwave with Cheita's.

So far though, it sounds like there isn't any major benefit of using either of the two switch combinations that I posed in my original posting.

Just that you might verify your receiver will actually handle both the uncommitted 8x1's, and uncommitted switches cascaded with committed 4x1's.
You're getting into the area where not all receivers are created equally.

OH! So you can cascade committed and uncommitted DisEqC switches. :cool:

As long as your receiver supports uncommitted switches is this doable? Is there such a thing as a receiver supporting DisEqC 1.1 and not supporting uncommitted?

From the thread, CS 5K works. How about Fortec Merc II and Visionsat IV200?

I just now noticed the 1.1 switch setting on the Merc II allows for 16 ports. Huh?

OH! So you can cascade committed and uncommitted DisEqC switches. :cool:

As long as your receiver supports uncommitted switches is this doable? Is there such a thing as a receiver supporting DisEqC 1.1 and not supporting uncommitted?

From the thread, CS 5K works. How about Fortec Merc II and Visionsat IV200?

I just now noticed the 1.1 switch setting on the Merc II allows for 16 ports. Huh?
Coolsat 5000 supports 16 uncommitted (1.1) ports
DiSEqC 1.1 supported 16 uncommitted ports, good luck finding a switch that does that... :(

Anyone care to recommend a place to get the Digiwave 8x1?
Sadoun doesn't carry them...
SatAV doesn't either...
Galaxy-marketing/WSI doesn't...
GoSat doesn't have uncommited...
Hypermegasat carries DMSI equipment...

meinename,

I found the Digiwave 8x1 Diseqc for $19 with free shipping from Hypermegasat via Ebay.

Look Up

meinename,

I found the Digiwave 8x1 Diseqc for $19 with free shipping from Hypermegasat via Ebay.

Look Up

HyperMegaSat has them in stock now. I bought one from them about 6 months ago and then they stopped carrying them. I emailed Casey over there a couple of days ago and told him about this thread and that so many people liked this switch and he said he would carry them again. He emailed me tonight and told me they were in stock.

:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts