Elway is Surprised.

stmcld

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Henderson KY
John Elway stated he was surprised by the reaction to the comments he made about Tim Tebow last week. Really? I am constantly amazed about how surprised people are about the reaction to comments they make. Are they really that dumb?

All he did was say he wasn't sure Tebow was the QB of the future. It wasn't his fault all the Teboners went apoplectic. I guess he even got threats on his Twiiter account.

All he did was say he wasn't sure Tebow was the QB of the future. It wasn't his fault all the Teboners went apoplectic. I guess he even got threats on his Twiiter account.

People ALWAYS forget. When you manage people, regardless of the career...you want to bring YOUR type of person. Tebow, regardless of his success...is NOT "his guy". He did not draft him and more than likely he wants to erase everything from the previous regime.

yaz96 said:

The great God of Denver sports got threats over comments about Tebow?? Must have been out of staters. No true Coloradan would threaten Elway. :)

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Read some of this crap people wrote. The Teboners are absolutely fanatical and completely crazy. And I'm sure some came from inside Colorado.....

======================================

Krieger: Elway on fringe of Tebow tirade
Posted: 11/25/2011 01:00:00 AM MST
By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist

Twitter has become known for many things during its short life, but civility is not one of them. So when John Elway chose the massively popular microblogging service as his method of direct communication with Broncos fans, he was taking a calculated risk.

The Broncos' transparency offensive was working pretty well too, until Elway got crosswise with Tebowmania. Then it got ugly pretty fast.

"You know, I've actually stopped reading it, which is a good thing," Elway said with a laugh during his weekly hit on KOA radio Wednesday.

Here's a sampling of Twitter messages sent his way after he said earlier this week he didn't know if Tim Tebow was the Broncos' quarterback of the future:

"@johnelway i hope pat fires you and you can go back to arena football were (sic) you belong you piece of trash."

"@johnelway You are so damn clueless!"

"Hey @johnelway you lost 3 superbowls and your team won 2 for you when u were washed up so shut your (expletive) mouth"

"How does it feel @johnelway from being our hero to be almost as hated as Philip Rivers."

And so on.

When Tony Dungy, a former player and coach and more recently a Christian author, says of the Broncos, as he did the other day, "They're going to have to get some more passing game someway," most NFL heads nod in agreement.

When Elway says approximately the same thing, Denver has a conniption.

Trying to have a rational public conversation about Tebow is mostly futile these days. The subject has passed into a realm normally occupied by politics and religion, where people already know what they think and once the usual talking points are exhausted, the argument often devolves into personal insults.

Because Elway shares the doubts of many league insiders about long-term success without a robust passing game, and because he's forthright enough to say so, he is now routinely accused of being jealous of Tebow's popularity and wanting him to fail.

So he did his best to mend fences with Tebow's most ardent followers Wednesday while standing firm that a decision on the Broncos' quarterback of the future won't be made until the offseason.

"Am I hopeful that Tim Tebow is our guy? And like I've said the whole year, I am very hopeful that Tim Tebow is our guy. Am I absolutely positive at this point in time? No, I'm not. But I want to believe that and that's what I want to happen," Elway said.

So I asked him what he needs to see to come to that conclusion.

"When you look at Tim, you know that he has all the intangibles, as we've talked about so many times, his competitiveness and his toughness and his ability to make plays with his feet and run the football. Those are all givens. We know that for sure," he said.

"For any quarterback to really have success in this league, you have to be consistent throwing the football and you have to be consistently on target. We all know, and Tim knows that, that he's going to have to get more consistent throwing the football. And he will, as time goes on during the season, continue to get better."

How much can anyone improve as a passer once he's in the NFL?

"That's another thousand dollar question, or million dollar question, is how much improvement you can make," Elway said. "I don't have that answer. I mean, some guys can go a lot more than other guys. But I don't have that exact answer on how much more people can improve."

Because a quarterback spends so much time during the season working on each week's game plan, Elway said much of Tebow's work on technique would have to come in the offseason. So how does Elway, who has made well-publicized trips to see some of college football's top quarterbacks this season, decide what to do in next spring's draft?

"I think we're going to have to play that when we get there," he said. "It's hard to say as we sit here right now what's going to happen."

When Elway took the job running the Broncos' football operation nearly a year ago, I wrote that he was risking his reputation, his status as a widely admired icon. I got a lot of feedback saying that was ridiculous; nothing he could do as an executive would destroy the love Broncos fans felt for their Hall of Fame quarterback.

And maybe that's true. Maybe the Twitter loudmouths are just the lunatic fringe. But it would be understandable if Elway has reviewed his most recent career choice lately and wondered to himself, "What the heck was I thinking?"

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

Read more: Krieger: Elway on fringe of Tebow tirade - The Denver Post Krieger: Elway on fringe of Tebow tirade - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)