Equipment Protection Plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jake Ryan

Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
South Carolina
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and will be having Directv installed this week at my house. I can't wait to call Time Warner this week and give them the Ol Heave Ho.

I do have a questions about the setting up of my account, which was a great experience by the way. I was told by someone that unless you have the "protection plan" as part of your account that if something breaks you are responsible for the repair costs. If you have the plan then it is very easily and simply covered.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I asked the Rep when setting up my account, and she said it wasn't needed.

I am getting the Genie and 2 mini genies installed this week.

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and will be having Directv installed this week at my house. I can't wait to call Time Warner this week and give them the Ol Heave Ho.

I do have a questions about the setting up of my account, which was a great experience by the way. I was told by someone that unless you have the "protection plan" as part of your account that if something breaks you are responsible for the repair costs. If you have the plan then it is very easily and simply covered.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I asked the Rep when setting up my account, and she said it wasn't needed.

I am getting the Genie and 2 mini genies installed this week.

It's a $49.95 charge to send a tech out AFTER the first 90 days of install. Some people live by it, others think its worse than burning money. If you have it it covers shipping in the event your receiver(s) need swapped out due to an issue. So it boils down to, how bad would be if you did/didn't have it

I was told by the Directv installer that the Protection Plan was not needed since Directv owns the equipment-- I found out different when we started having problems. You will be charged for service call plus any equipment replacement costs without the Protection Plan. So you are better off with the Protection Plan.

The receiver/dvr is covered w/o the protection plan, virtually everything else isn't. You will pay a shipping charge of $20 for returning a defective box, but that charge is sometimes waived. Like anything that could have insurance, it's a hedge against what could happen. I have had Directv since 2006 and they have never had to come out to fix anything. I have had two or three of the H20 boxes fail, and they paid shipping on all of them. That was many years ago, and those particular receivers had systemic problems. I would recommend against the protection plan, but I'm able to diagnose and fix most problems.

Like many others here, I've never had the protection plan with cable/sat and found it isn't really necessary. It just saves the shipping cost when a receiver is swapped.

I've never had an actual service call after the first month of a new installation with either Dish or Direct. When I was with cable, I had maybe one service call in the many years I had it that wasn't just a receiver swap.

I should mention that the more expensive version of the protection plan does cover most things. It's the cheaper one that doesn't .

The only time I got a replacement receiver is when I got a bad leased HR24 box from Amazon which the hard drive failed, and replaced it with another HR24 which looked kind of new at the time with shipping charges waived as I don't have PP.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.