Espn Hd 2 Dec 6th

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zmclean

Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
KS
I was watching ESPN Classic a show from last thursday and it said that ESPN 2 HD starts today the 6th...but i havent heard anything else about it. Any info would be great or rediret me to where i can find it. Thanks

Well the prevailing word around D* is that they have no space for anything new. Now we don't know if that meant at all, or if that meant passed transponders that were all ready allocated, but in any case word should start rumoring around. We are all still waiting on TNT-HD for the NBA season.

charper1 said:
Well the prevailing word around D* is that they have no space for anything new. Now we don't know if that meant at all, or if that meant passed transponders that were all ready allocated, but in any case word should start rumoring around. We are all still waiting on TNT-HD for the NBA season.

NFL ST ends on Jan 2, after that bandwith won't be a problem.

This is it ...

Source

Bristol, Conn. -- ESPN plans to debut ESPN2 HD, its second high-definition sports service, on January 6, 2005, Bryan Burns, ESPN vice president, strategic business planning and development, has announced.

ESPN's two high-definition services -- ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD -- will distribute 85 live, high-definition telecasts, which will be shown in their first 85 days of operation. These telecasts feature college football plus men's and women's college basketball - originally produced and distributed in high-definition television.

The opening night tripleheader will feature top programs from three different conferences.

The match ups include DePaul at Conference USA rival Cincinnati, Memphis -- also from C-USA -- taking on Big 12 power Texas and West Coast Conference champion Gonzaga traveling to Santa Clara for an intra-conference showdown.

Together in 2005, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will offer viewers 6,000 hours of originally produced high-definition programming and 2,000 original programs.

"The announcement of the January 6 launch date for ESPN2 HD demonstrates ESPN's continued commitment to the digital transition," said Michael Powell, Chairman of the Federal Communications Committee. "With the launch of its second high-definition service, ESPN has set a pace I hope more networks will follow in the critical months ahead."

"There is now no doubt that HDTV is the future of television in the United States," commented Burns. "Our commitment to ESPN HD, ESPN 2 HD and the thousands of hours we are producing in this exciting new format underscores our commitment to this exciting new opportunity."

All high-definition programming on ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will be delivered to cable systems and satellite providers in the 720p high-definition format.

ESPN HD/ESPN 2 HD

ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will deliver 300 major events plus 2,000 programs totaling 6,000 hours in high-definition in 2005. The ESPN Digital Center, a 120,000-square foot, state-of-the-art, all digital high-definition facility at ESPN's headquarters in Bristol, Conn. began operation on June 7, 2004 with the premiere high-definition telecast of the company's signature news program, SportsCenter.

The building contains over seven million feet of cable and three HDTV studios that are home to all ESPN Bristol-based studio shows --SportsCenter, NFL Countdown, NFL Primetime, Monday Night Countdown and Baseball Tonight (Spring of 2005).

About ESPN

ESPN, Inc. is the world's leading multi-national, multimedia sports entertainment company, featuring a portfolio of over 50 multimedia sports assets. The company is comprised of six domestic television networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Today), ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, ESPN Regional Television, ESPN International (networks and syndication), ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, ESPN The Magazine, SportsTicker, ESPN Enterprises, ESPN Zones (sports-themed restaurants) and other growing new businesses including ESPN Broadband, ESPN Wireless, ESPN Video-on-Demand, ESPN Interactive and ESPN PPV.

Based in Bristol, CT., ESPN is 80 percent owned by ABC, Inc., which is an indirect subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. The Hearst Corporation holds a 20 percent interest in ESPN.

I am still curious as to what exactly ESPN2HD will offer. From the statement above "Together in 2005, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will offer viewers 6,000 hours of originally produced high-definition programming and 2,000 original programs" that's a lot of HD content. I guess now we just have to wait & see if we get this channel on the 6th of January.

Maybe if the strikes gets over we could get NHL in hidef as well :)

Trying to be an upbeat about the next set of talks.

I miss watching the NHL on HDNET. HD Hockey looks wonderful and it's a shame that the owners and players can not agree on anything. I am very doubtful there will be any hockey this season, well NHL hockey anyway.

CWS_kahuna said:
I am still curious as to what exactly ESPN2HD will offer. From the statement above "Together in 2005, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will offer viewers 6,000 hours of originally produced high-definition programming and 2,000 original programs" that's a lot of HD content. I guess now we just have to wait & see if we get this channel on the 6th of January.

Maybe they mean over the next 1,000 years :D

well, 10 hours of Sportscenter in HD a day = 3640 hours of BS HD, 6000-3640=2360 of real HD content.

I agree with you on SportsCenter being BS in HD. The studio looks nice. Too bad most of the highlights are still in SD....

I miss NHL too. :(

I agree that it would be nice if all highlights were in hd, but until all games are shown in hd it isn't going to happen. It seems to me that they show hd highlights of about 99% of the games broadcast in hd.

Nhl

From what I have read the NHL was going to be on espn2hd tht is mostly why they made it as it said on the espn website they will also have alot of college basketball

I disagree, dgordo...IMHO, it seems that only the Football highlights are in HD, while all other sports highlights are still SD. I know that there are several regional sports affiliates currently broadcasting NBA Games in HD, but I haven't seen those Highlights in HD, and the San Diego Padres televise all of their home games in HD, but I didn't see any Padres highlights in HD, etc.

smitty825 said:
I disagree, dgordo...IMHO, it seems that only the Football highlights are in HD, while all other sports highlights are still SD. I know that there are several regional sports affiliates currently broadcasting NBA Games in HD, but I haven't seen those Highlights in HD, and the San Diego Padres televise all of their home games in HD, but I didn't see any Padres highlights in HD, etc.

Your exactly right, even games broadcast on ESPN in HD have had highlights in SD before. What is up with that?

They all have to start somewhere. Are we supposed to have them all wait until 100% of the programming is HD? God I hope not!

charper1 said:
They all have to start somewhere. Are we supposed to have them all wait until 100% of the programming is HD? God I hope not!

I agree with what you are saying, but, IMHO, it seems that ESPN has been moving extremely slow on this regard. They've been on the air for over a year, and yet the "World Wide Leader" still only shows 3 live "events" a week...

Status
Please reply by conversation.