Everyone who eats pizza should see this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get mine out of the freezer, let it thaw a bit, and add a few extra's, then stick it in the oven for about 11-13 minutes. Then I add more cheese and give it another minute in the oven. I enjoy myself and no tip is necessary.
Who knows, I may be helping to keep a pizza delivery person off of some very dangerous streets..... although that is not my intention.

Al

For those who Tip TOO Much , just think .......
That you are actually making the difference for a good night or bad night, because this is what also happens during a pizza drivers night.

That $500 dollar order for that party at the Elks Club where the driver has to make multiple trips to his car , then waits patiently for the customer to put a john Hancock on the Credit Card bill , well that lady just handed him a $5 spot for his effort. So bigger money orders are usually not any better.

The Post Office Mail Center , driver gets there but the customers are never waiting so call 5 minutes ahead to make up for lost time , $15 dollar order and gets $1 or no tip at all , geeze I thought that postal workers got paid decent.

So yes there are some terrible tippers , so the ones who do tip well makeup for the bad ones.

Then there is the nice neighborhood well to do who order from the farthest locations , 10 mile round trip and all you get is $2 , meanwhile you go 2blocks away from the pizza joint and get $5 , time and money is the same because for those 45-60 minutes spent delivering to a far location during 5pm rush another driver has just made 2-3 as many deliveries and making more money.

Gotta stop here so I can get ready for my pizza delivery job.

Um, what if they put a $2.00 delivery charge on the bill?
Should I tip as well?

I tip most of the time though I tip less when there is a delivery charge. I order online from Papa Johns, the store is 7 minutes from my house, the drivers all use their own cars so why does PJ need to charge for the delivery? Next pizza will come from another shop, probably Gumbi's wich is a good local chain and they dont charge a delivery fee.

Um, what if they put a $2.00 delivery charge on the bill?
Should I tip as well?

Pizza delivery q&a
Do you still tip when there is a $2 delivery charge?

It's unusual to have a delivery charge that high. The most I've seen is $1.30 and it did not go to the driver's tip, so you should still tip. A high delivery charge is a sign of a small local store instead of a national chain. Please ask the store -- you might have to ask a manager. Find out how much goes to the driver's tip and not to other things like mileage compensation or hourly wage. In small stores, the $2 covers the driver's hourly minimum wage, so you should still tip. Some of it might go to the driver's tip or nothing might. How they use the fee varies from store to store. It costs the store more to have your pizza delivered. They have to cover auto liability insurance and a few other things. Having a delivery charge is one way to compensate. This is a business fee. Most of the time, the driver doesn't see it.

I'm surprised the store tells you there's a delivery fee. I wish they would not. They go out of their way to mess up the driver and confuse customers. Some places advertise "free delivery" which tricks people into not tipping. Some stores mention a delivery charge, making people think it's a gratuity. It was completely unnecessary for the order taker to mention the delivery charge when the driver receives none of it. Our advice is to look past the delivery charge -- it's part of the bill.

In national chains like Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Papa John's, the delivery charge does not benefit the driver. Their delivery charge is usually below $2 but some local franchisees are getting close.

If the $2 fee does not go to the driver's tip, you should consider it part of the bill. After all, it goes to the same place, the store. You should still tip the driver. If some of it goes to the driver's tip -- not mileage or hourly -- you may reduce the tip by that amount.

Do you still tip when there is a $2 delivery charge?

For those who Tip TOO Much , just think .......
That you are actually making the difference for a good night or bad night, because this is what also happens during a pizza drivers night.

That $500 dollar order for that party at the Elks Club where the driver has to make multiple trips to his car , then waits patiently for the customer to put a john Hancock on the Credit Card bill , well that lady just handed him a $5 spot for his effort. So bigger money orders are usually not any better.

The Post Office Mail Center , driver gets there but the customers are never waiting so call 5 minutes ahead to make up for lost time , $15 dollar order and gets $1 or no tip at all , geeze I thought that postal workers got paid decent.

So yes there are some terrible tippers , so the ones who do tip well makeup for the bad ones.

Then there is the nice neighborhood well to do who order from the farthest locations , 10 mile round trip and all you get is $2 , meanwhile you go 2blocks away from the pizza joint and get $5 , time and money is the same because for those 45-60 minutes spent delivering to a far location during 5pm rush another driver has just made 2-3 as many deliveries and making more money.

Gotta stop here so I can get ready for my pizza delivery job.

You either work or worked as a pizza driver before or know someone who is a pizza driver... U know the stuff well... :up

You either work or worked as a pizza driver before or know someone who is a pizza driver... U know the stuff well... :up

Work for one of the better Established Mom and Pop Pizza Places .

Tonight I delivered a $8 dollar plate of pasta to an old timer living on 3 rd floor apartment just a few blocks away, I've delivered to him before , he answers the door in a wheelchair and he's probably on a fixed income , he gives me a $1 buck and I'm happy , I'm thinking God Bless You.

You can make good money , if you don't have to sit around or have to many drivers , 20 food deliveries in a 6-9 hour workday should get you close to $100 in my area , this is not typical of all pizza places .

There are nice summer days when business is slow too , so yes there are bad days.

Unfortunately I live too far out for anyone to deliver, so I have to get it myself. So no tipping worries for me :D

But when I lived closer to town, it was usually a couple bucks, typically the change from whatever bills I used. Never calculated percentages, as he was driving, so no difference in his effort whether it be 1, 2, or 3 pizzas.

If there ever was a delivery charge, then I would give no tip.

In most cases I pick up my pizza as I have a few places just so close like Pizza Hut, Checkmate Pizza and my fav Sal's. Now during football Sunday I tend to have it delivered. My orders are always between 15-20 bucks and I always tip 5 bucks "unless" I get cold Pizza and I can't remember the last time that happened. The last time I got cold pizza I gave the driver two bucks and got his name and car make and model and told him to wait as I called the store to complain. It turns out the manager fired him when he got back. I also got a fresh hot order of Pizza delivered by another guy who told me thanks as they the other drivers wanted him gone. This was in Florida but I was glad the manager took care of the problem.

I say if I can't afford an extra 3 bucks I can't afford the pizza being delivered. Also I in some ways feel like I should give a bigger tip to make up for some of the people who IMO knowingly screw the drivers. I'm sorry but everybody knows that pizza delivery drivers make their living on tips only. Now the easy fix to all this crap is for companies to quit being cheapskates and make them delivery employees that make 20 bucks an hour but only work four hours a day but they also work inside between orders too. Having employees working inside and doing deliveries who have consistant income, stability and benefits such a health insurance can be great for a company. I for one would pick that company to do business with (as long as they have decent pizza) because I would rather support a company who really treats their drivers/workers as family instead of slaves requiring the goodwill of others.

If they don't want to deal with that maybe the drivers should have the right to ban an address from all delivery if they don't tip the proper amount. I've seen this done and its 100% legal and fair. If those people want delivery and are on the banned list they must pay via credit/debit card only and the bill will include the tip and I've seen that done as well. If they aren't happy with this they can pick the pizza up and pay with cash.

Having pizza delivered to your house isn't a right and any company can decide not to deliver pizza to your address as long as its not because of race, age etc. But if you don't tip that is enough legal grounds for a company to refuse delivery.

Lucky for me I live in a very good tipping state so I don't feel out of place at all as I'm the norm not the exception.

I give a minimum of 5$ if the pizza is here within 45mins or so, but sometimes more if say the order winds up being like 23$ because i got wings to and all I have is a 20 and a 10 I usally just say keep the change. I order from 2 places, and usally get the same driver most the time. and if its a new guy if you tip him right the first time, be sure they remember your address and that pizza will be their faster next time. :)

If they don't want to deal with that maybe the drivers should have the right to ban an address from all delivery if they don't tip the proper amount. I've seen this done and its 100% legal and fair. If those people want delivery and are on the banned list they must pay via credit/debit card only and the bill will include the tip and I've seen that done as well.
I've never agreed with the idea of a "proper" amount for a tip.
In my opinion, a tip must be earned, not expected.

I go pick mine up, too. I've had pizza delivered a couple times since the 1980's, I usually tip 20 percent then....actually I usually tip 20 percent regarldless of where I sit down to eat.....unless its Popeyes or something...:)

I've never agreed with the idea of a "proper" amount for a tip.
In my opinion, a tip must be earned, not expected.

It is flatout common knowledge and expected that pizza delivery drivers "if" they deliver hot pizza in a timely manner should receive no less than 2 bucks per 10-15 bucks ordered. It can be a tad bit more or less. Going by your logic if you walk into a chain like Denny's and your waiter does a good job he shouldn't be given the proper (aka common knowledge tip) which is known as 15% of the bill total "not" counting discount coupons for example. That is the proper amount but I do agree if the waiter or delivery person didn't do a good job the proper amount no longer exists.

Honestly I cannot stand many of the people from Canada who continue to tip based on the customs of their own country and "not" the custom of the country they are eating at. Most of Canada pays their waiters minimum wage so they only tip a small amount say around five percent. But they don't even bother to care to find out the way things are in the USA and because of this they could eat at a Denny's in the USA and get great service and leave 5%. You tell me how that is fair to that worker.

I'm sure you didn't mean to come off like the above but you did when the quote that no proper amount exists because it sure as heck does and its 15 fricking percent. It shouldn't be earned because some people would expect the waiter to kiss his fricking ass and never make them wait one second for say a drink refill. If you get drink refills within a timely manner after asking that is good service. If you meal comes out in a timely manner its good service. Also say if your meal doesn't come out until much later than expected don't always assume and punish the waiter because maybe just maybe a cook didn't bother to show up which isn't in the control of your waiter now is it.

You only judge a waiter on what he can control and remember that they still are human so a drink refill might take two minutes to get after asking. This all isn't subjective or in the eye of the beholder its normal common sense. If you have to wait in line for 45 minutes at Walmart should you expect Walmart to give you a 10% discount because of the wait.......hell fricking no!!!!

Sorry about being so mean with this thread and it isn't as much attacking you or anyone here as it is being so pissed off at how I saw a waiter treated this afternoon. This waiter was one of the better ones at this place and this customer treated him like a vile horrid piece of crap for no good reason. This man was close to breaking up in tears until the manager of the place kicked the customers out via a ride in a police car for assault and yes it was really that bad.

Again this wasn't directed at you but more about me standing up for the rights of our fellow waiters after what I saw today.

Thanks to all the generous tippers , I should have no complaints , last week I went to the veterans hospital , usually it's a delivery for the nurses or Doctors but this time it was for a patient , it's not an easy in and out , 1st I have to go thru a checkpoint ( show my I.D. ) then go to the building on the campus , once I figured out it was for a patient I went to his room , I don't normally do this .....

The order total was $9.51 ,got a $20 and I handed back 5 singles and a $5 dollar bill ,watched as he put his money away ....... and was told to keep the change , I said the .50 cents , YEP ....... I said thank you and was on my way......
As I walked out the nurse was making fun of the situation ........ she asked loudly if I got a big tip ........... I said nothing ................ but made a hand gesture indicating it was small ................... the patient wasn't amused at all , because I heard him replying to the nurse ........... You're Killin Me .... Don't Do That.

For every bad tip I get , someone elses generosity usually makes up for it .

As to Canadians or any other ethnic groups , I can't generalize and put everyone in the same boat and say this group doesn't tip ............
I get tips from every ethnic group , YES there are probabilities and odds in the equation , there are some groups of people that in general do not tip ,usually it is more ignorance than being tight with money , Scottie Pippin from the Chicago Bulls was notorious for not giving tips , they called him NO TIPPIN PIPPIN , sadly some of those who can be more generous aren't.

I was asked once for a Celebrity Discount by a NBA Player , I said " don't tell me ... You Can't afford it right "

that was back when minimum wage was $4.05 , and I was making $4.05 / hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)