Extending WiFi range???

You can't set the second one to extend the first?

My setup is such that I have two Airport extremes. The main one creates the wireless network, and it is set to two channels on manual (one 5ghz, one 2.4ghz) with both on the same SSID. Then the second Extreme serves to extend the wireless network (using the same SSID automatically) and also set to the same two channels. It provides me with excellent coverage over three floors, and you never have to change SSIDs. Dual-band devices like my iPad and mbp use both channels, windows devices (with older wireless cards) use the 2.4Ghz channel.

I used to run two different SSIDs in the house, but this work so much better.

Same setup I have. Not the cheapest route to go, but it works well and was dead simple to set up.

Same setup I have. Not the cheapest route to go, but it works well and was dead simple to set up.

The ONLY snag I had was that initially they were set on auto, and would change channels, and somehow the two routers would end up on different channels, and I would lose coverage. BUT once I got them to manual (the key is the main router first) everything worked fine. And with dual band I no longer have the problem I used to have where the microwave would kill wifi. :)

But yeah, not cheap, but the system is not only rock solid, and easy to manage, it has great throughput. I can get up to 35MB on wifi. Not always, but it streams HD netflix without hiccuping, ever.

My network is a all wireless, and like you I use the dual-band that is available so that some of my older stuff still works fine. And I stream HD video all the time over it with nary a hiccup.

I don't use the auto band feature either as there are some channels that are problematic in my location.

My setup is such that I have two Airport extremes. The main one creates the wireless network, and it is set to two channels on manual (one 5ghz, one 2.4ghz) with both on the same SSID. Then the second Extreme serves to extend the wireless network (using the same SSID automatically) and also set to the same two channels. It provides me with excellent coverage over three floors, and you never have to change SSIDs. Dual-band devices like my iPad and mbp use both channels, windows devices (with older wireless cards) use the 2.4Ghz channel.

I use this method for the old 11g network. Anything that doesn't truely support 11n goes onto the 11g network. Curious about using the same SSID in both bands. When I've done that, I never end up getting the 5GHz band, even though is should provide a better rate in certain areas. I'm using a Netgear router though instead of the Airport Extreme. Have you confirmed that you are really getting into the 5GHz band when you are closer to the router?

Do you know about using the option key when pressing the airport symbol at the top of the menu? This will show the statistics of the current wireless link.

Is the second Airport extreme hardwired?

I use this method for the old 11g network. Anything that doesn't truely support 11n goes onto the 11g network. Curious about using the same SSID in both bands. When I've done that, I never end up getting the 5GHz band, even though is should provide a better rate in certain areas. I'm using a Netgear router though instead of the Airport Extreme. Have you confirmed that you are really getting into the 5GHz band when you are closer to the router?

Do you know about using the option key when pressing the airport symbol at the top of the menu? This will show the statistics of the current wireless link.

Yes I get 5Ghz band. Seeing it now. When I run AirRadar, I see all four networks, each named with the same SSID, just on different channels, and tied to the different router mac addresses. The hand-off between different networks appears to be instanteous, when I move from room to room.

Before I got the Airport setup I was using Belkin, and 5Ghz never worked for me. BUT then again, I don't think the wifi cards I was using at the time were as good. I attribute part of the success of my network to running apple wireless hardware on my main machine.

Probably not. No need.

In my setup, which is similar if not exactly the same. My main Extreme is wired to the cable modem. The other Extreme is in my AV rack and has some of that equipment plugged into it, but the communication to the network is all wireless. My HTPC, D* CCK, and HDDVD are plugged into it since they don't have wireless in them.

Yes I get 5Ghz band. Seeing it now. When I run AirRadar, I see all four networks, each named with the same SSID, just on different channels, and tied to the different router mac addresses. The hand-off between different networks appears to be instanteous, when I move from room to room.

Before I got the Airport setup I was using Belkin, and 5Ghz never worked for me. BUT then again, I don't think the wifi cards I was using at the time were as good. I attribute part of the success of my network to running apple wireless hardware on my main machine.

Let me clarify what I mean. I can see both bands too, but when the 5GHz band is using the same SSID as the 2.4GHz band, the MBP NEVER will attach to the 5GHz band, nor can I manually attach to it. As a matter of fact, the MBP never attaches to the 5GHz band automatically even using different SSID's. So, when I want to use the 5GHz band, I have to manually switch to the 5GHz band using the SSID.

Hence, my question is have you confirmed that your Mac is actually attaching to the 5GHz band, and not the 2.4GHz band when using the same SSID? That's why I was asking you about using the option key when pressing on the Air Port symbol on the menu.

Just trying to figure out if I should get rid of the Netgear and move to the Airport Extreme. Not worth it if I'll see the same issue.

berck said:
Let me clarify what I mean. I can see both bands too, but when the 5GHz band is using the same SSID as the 2.4GHz band, the MBP NEVER will attach to the 5GHz band, nor can I manually attach to it. As a matter of fact, the MBP never attaches to the 5GHz band automatically even using different SSID's. So, when I want to use the 5GHz band, I have to manually switch to the 5GHz band using the SSID.

Hence, my question is have you confirmed that your Mac is actually attaching to the 5GHz band, and not the 2.4GHz band when using the same SSID? That's why I was asking you about using the option key when pressing on the Air Port symbol on the menu.

Just trying to figure out if I should get rid of the Netgear and move to the Airport Extreme. Not worth it if I'll see the same issue.

The short answer is yes. The option key shows me connected to 5ghz.

I was using the AirPort Express to extend my WiFi originally, but I finally set it up to a hard wired connection and it offers the same hidden SSID as the Extreme dual band. I also make use of a visible "Guest" WiFi on the Extreme so I can let family and friends connect to my broadband without exposing the rest of my Home LAN to their devices. It's also easier to connect to, but still uses WPK2 for some semblance of security.

I was using the AirPort Express to extend my WiFi originally, but I finally set it up to a hard wired connection and it offers the same hidden SSID as the Extreme dual band. I also make use of a visible "Guest" WiFi on the Extreme so I can let family and friends connect to my broadband without exposing the rest of my Home LAN to their devices. It's also easier to connect to, but still uses WPK2 for some semblance of security.

For some reason when I would connect the second extreme via ethernet, it did not work. Never figured out why. Guess I was happy enough with what I had that it did not matter.

Speaking from personal experience the 2wire gateway/routers that AT&T send out are pretty much junk.Bridging them is a pain and the power adapters are a joke went through 2 here and several neighbors went out as well.I prefer to use a separate modem bridged and separate router.Wifi has been a much better experience since the change.

The 2wire 2701 were notorious for power supplies going out for a while, I haven't come across that problem in quite some time though.

AT&T are now starting to use Netgear modem/routers ....

Based on this post, I purchased two AirPort Extremes (MD031LL/A) and all I have to say is WOW!!! I was running a D-Link DIR-825, and my WiFi speeds are approx 10x, yes TEN TIMES, faster than before!

For some reason when I would connect the second extreme via ethernet, it did not work. Never figured out why. Guess I was happy enough with what I had that it did not matter.

Did you give the second APX an IP address? I did that and my network went haywire! I did a factory reset, then used the AirPort Utility Wizard to extend the wireless newtork and that worked. According to the utility, they both have the same IP address.

The 2wire 2701 were notorious for power supplies going out for a while, I haven't come across that problem in quite some time though.

AT&T are now starting to use Netgear modem/routers ....

Now ya tell me lol:D....Glad to hear they are switching to netgear.I bought a netgear rangemax150 at rat shack couple years back and it has been very stable.Although I would at some point like to upgrade to a 300Mbps router that supports tomato.

Oh forgot to say that here in ATT southeast formerly bellsouth they still offer the 2wire 2701 HG.And for only $100:eek:

Now ya tell me lol:D....Glad to hear they are switching to netgear.I bought a netgear rangemax150 at rat shack couple years back and it has been very stable.Although I would at some point like to upgrade to a 300Mbps router that supports tomato.

Oh forgot to say that here in ATT southeast formerly bellsouth they still offer the 2wire 2701 HG.And for only $100:eek:

We are still installing them here, but once they are gone when we order the 2701's we will get the 7550 Netgear instead.

I have seen 3 Netgear shipped to subs this past week.

Hopefully they are similar for installation purposes, I'm sure a sub will ask me to install it soon, it would be nice to know these things ahead of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)