External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Does anyone know if USB Hub support works or if it is in the works to be supported? I would like to add another drive.

Thanks. This site is outstanding.
USB hub will work as long as only one drive is powered up.

All you would have had to do was turn it off/on.

so not true. my drive is typically off, and will not allow deleting or writing files after being turned on for 5 to 15 minutes.

most viewing works fine.

I'm so pissed at paying to get shafted i really don't use the external drives much.

so not true. my drive is typically off, and will not allow deleting or writing files after being turned on for 5 to 15 minutes.

most viewing works fine.

I'm so pissed at paying to get shafted i really don't use the external drives much.
Seagate drive? If so, you need to disable sleep mode. Lots of info in THIS thread!

One question
Once you move the show from HV DVR to Hard drive
Can you plug the EXT. HDD back to the pc and watch it on the PC
What kind of files are they?

Just curious, is that a Vista thing...wanting to reformat? With XP, you have to go to disk management and format manually.

I should've (more accurately) stated that you'll need to reformat it. I have XP Pro. I like it and don't want to mess with Vista's DRM wrapper. Tried Vista on another PC and took it back to XP Pro after a week.

seagate problem still there

Set the sleep time to "none" saw the ext.USB device menu for a minute then the old 860 error no USB device attached.

Called the Dish tech who told me they were aware of the problem and a software fix was expected early this year. He said to watch for a software version number change and then to try again.

He said they were very sorry.

Set the sleep time to "none" saw the ext.USB device menu for a minute then the old 860 error no USB device attached.

Called the Dish tech who told me they were aware of the problem and a software fix was expected early this year. He said to watch for a software version number change and then to try again.

He said they were very sorry.

Hmm, I might give turning it off another try. I turned the sleep timer off and have not had the issue since. That was months ago.

Well... I had $80 in Best Buy gift cards burning a whole in my pocket since Xmas so I decided to get a WD My Book (Essential) II 500GB.

Seems to work well. I've been recording about every single movie I find in the guide! I've got free HBO/Starz/Cinemax/Sho for the next month or so... Looks like I should be able to fit 50+ movies on it no problem. I'm even letting my wife record stuff now!

I do have a question though... I've read some people say leave the drive on, others say leave it off... When its not being used it won't be spinning, so what is the harm in leaving it on? What do other My Book owners do?

Oh.. and another question... How is everything sorted on the external. I've only transfered 3 things so far and it seems to just stay in the order transferred. Is there no way to list alphabetically?

Oh.. and another question... How is everything sorted on the external. I've only transfered 3 things so far and it seems to just stay in the order transferred. Is there no way to list alphabetically?
Order recorded actually, maybe they will come out with a folders option for the External before lont...

I do have a question though... I've read some people say leave the drive on, others say leave it off... When its not being used it won't be spinning, so what is the harm in leaving it on? What do other My Book owners do?

Since you have the WD My Book, it should reliably spin-up when needed and spin-down when not accessed for awhile....just leave it powered on. I've been using mine this way since October, and haven't had to reboot either DVR or My Book. I am either sending shows to the external drive or watching shows on it approximately twice a week.

Order recorded actually, maybe they will come out with a folders option for the External before lont...

Actually... I just noticed that if you have your normal DVR listings in alphabetical and then go to the external drive it is alphabetical too! I may have to get used to this view!

2 Seagate 320 gig free agents 95% full(Movies,MHD/Rave, BSG's and Fireflys), 1 Maxtor 320 -99% full(Csi-Miamis and Cold Cases), 2 WD 320Gig My Books at 70%(1 HD Football, 1 NBC Series)... 1-500 gig ESATA hooked to my HR20 at 10% ;) (Sci-Fi HD) (No Major bugs with any of them...)

This is the info I was looking for... so you can confirm that you can use as many drives as you wish with a single DVR without trouble (obviously connected one at a time)?

Also, I was told the info I was looking for was in this thread but after searching, I can't find it. Has anyone tried/been successful in transferring data from an ext3 formatted Dish EHD to a Linux install on their computer? If it's possible, then you could transfer the content to another EHD that you use with an additional receiver. I was wondering if this would be another way around the 3 in/out rule between DVR's?

Yes you can use as many drives as you like... the EHDD is encrypted(we do not talk of attempting to access at SatelliteGuys)

Thanks for the info...and sorry about that. Didn't realize it was a "borderline" subject. Won't mention it again. :)

I have a 750 gig WD MYbook Drive connected to my 622 and I notice more content I transfered to the hard drive the slower the 622 reacted. I was down to a 165gig of free space and I was watching something from the hard drive and I got some jitters here and there and occasionally pause in the program. Then everything lock up for five minutes and the 622 reboot on it's own. After the reboot the 750gigs now says 52gigs and all my content was gone except for maybe 12-15 shows.

I unplug the drive and took it upstairs to my bedroom which has a second 622 with another 750gig drive. I switch the drives and power up the 622. The 622 notice the drive was link to the downstairs 622 and ask me did I want to view it. I selected yes and the drive came up normal with all my content on it. Not to take a chance on loseing everything I exported the most important shows to the internal drive on the 622. The weird thing is, the drive after exporting the shows to the internal drive did not erased the shows from the external drive. I tried to delete them and the 622 went thru like the shows was being deleted, but they remain on the drive.

I took the drive back downstairs and connected the drive to the livingroom's 622. The 622 saw the drive again as a 750gigs and all the content was there. I exported more shows to the 622s internal drive. I tried to tranfer a show to the external drive and the error massage pop up. So I new right then and there the drive needs to be formatted again to get it to run normal. I did not see a feature on the 622 to format the external drive.

So I connect the drive to my computer and thru in the cd drive, my windows xp. I booted the windows xp cd like I was going to install windows and when the cd got around to where you select a drive to install windows. I saw the 750gig drive and there where 3 partitions on the drive. A 500gig, a 248 gig and a 1gig partition. I use the windows xp cd to delete all the partitions and disconnected the drive from the pc.

Connected the drive back to the 622 and the 622 reformated drive. I transfer the save shows back to the external drive and Now everything works fine again.

I decided to reformat the drive because, even though I didn't lose the content on the hard drive. The drive was useless to me if I could not erase shows or add more shows. So I rather start over with a reformateed drive. Now I am puzzle. Will this happens again if the drive gets close to being full.

Its funny coming across this post today. I just went thru these problem with my external drive yesterday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)