External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

I used a second case I had and that damn thing corrupted the data as the 622 would just freeze when I tried to access the External device. I put it back in the rosewill case and it did the same thing so I just slammed it into my computer and formatted it and will use it for PC data--dun, no more trying for that drive as the 622 does not like it.

so now what to get for my 622

I am tempted to get what someone posted here is working great for them after giving up on my book type of HDs

-------

THERMALTAKE N0028USU BlacX 2.5/3.5in SATA Hard Drive USB Docking base

SEAGATE ST3750330AS 750GB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB Hard Drive

-------

or get the DISH certified one and just pay more.

I also am tempted to spend 100 to 110 for a Elements unit but it has no cooling but it's what I have now and hell it's at least working perfectly. Another advantage is I can swap in seconds as it will have the same power supply.

So three options and not really sure which way to go.
The dock system of the Blacx does look like the way to go

Opinions please

<snip...> I am tempted to get what someone posted here is working great for them after giving up on my book type of HDs

THERMALTAKE N0028USU BlacX 2.5/3.5in SATA Hard Drive USB Docking base
SEAGATE ST3750330AS 750GB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB Hard Drive /QUOTE]

FWIW, it's still working perfectly.

.....G

thanks guruka as I think it's the best overall choice with how it works when swapping to another bare drive and price/gig over a My Book type device. I even have a feeling this WD will work in the blacx device as it acted different in both the cases I tried making me think it's the HD cases and not the drive causing me issues

off to newegg or zipzoom....

Last edited:
If I had kids and it was not going under a ledge I would have had second thoughts. It should be fine for me
I just saw the 500 gig elements for 89 dollars free shipping
I will take note of those two cases for the future , thanks!

update

I got the new drive and dock and so far so good given just a few stop/play/stop/resume/ on two movies moved over.
Now backing off more HD and hoping it does not give me that disconnect error or error during transfer
So far so good though!

Last edited:
I had the 866 error on my Seagate Freeagent drive tonight (hooked up to a 622)and... drum roll... the CSR resolved it! We bash on them enough so I'll give credit where it is due. Two step solution: 1) Front panel reset *with the drive unplugged* and a rehit from Dish (which I think happened first). And then my hard drive was back and fully functional.

Hope this helps someone else who ends up with the dreaded 866.

Please clarify this for me - how can you tell if there has been a rehit? I asked for one quite a while ago, did not notice anything, and I still have the 866 problem (with my original FreeAgent 500).

Should I ask for the rehit with the drive attached or not attached?

Thanks

See this post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/1421742-post14.html

I'm assuming that the tech sent me a "hit" although he referred to it as a "signal". In any case it worked. I was watching the receiver, which was tuned to a channel, and there was no sign that anything had occurred.

I gave is another try with chat tech Lisa. Per the post, my system was running, the tech sent the signal, I disconnected/reconnected the problem EHD but it did not fix my problem. Other than getting a Linux system and trying the save procedure, it looks like all my stored programs on this drive are lost.:mad:

Hi, I have a Seagate 600 GB ext. drive. Tonight I paused a movie I was watching & when I went to pressplay nothing happened. I ended up using FF to get it to play. The stop button doesn't stop the movie- I had to shut the 722 off, then turn it back on to get back into the Seagate. Then, I clicked on resume and it was ok.

Is this a D issue? I fail to understand why a new drive that works well other than this nonsense won't respond to the DVR buttons.

Any ideas anyone?

Has anybody else done this??
I go to archive something. Then I decide to "view". No problems. Then I wonder how the archiving is going, so I go into "Manage drive" to see how much time is left. When I see there is time left, BY Pure Habit, I hit the "cancel" button on my remote, the same way I would to get out of any screen. Unfortunately, that cancels the archive. So then I have to start over again. And the worst part is, it starts from the beginnning, not from where it left off. I sure hope that isn't leaving a bunch of huge corrupted files taking up space on the ext HD.
This is comething Dish "Should" be able to fix. Or I can just get "out of the habit" of using that button.
I hate the way this works, too. Hitting cancel when you're viewing the progress of your EHD transfer should not function to cancel your transfer, it should function to cancel your action, the action of viewing the progress of your transfer. The cancel button is used to cancel your last action and is what it used for everywhere except here. For EHD transfers hitting cancel while you're viewing the progress of your transfer totally cancels the transfer. I cant tell you how many times I've cancelled transfers that would have been nearly complete after sometimes many, many hours of progress. This is a bug, and I hope E* fixes it. Either disable cancel on this popup, or make cancel cancel the correct action.

Do note that (at least) Cancel only stops the current transfer and is not retroactive to the whole set of transfers. I've hit Cancel too often too and am a little more cautious now.
-Ken

If you can play something for a few minutes and then it locks up, see post 676.

In my case, one of my programs on my MyBook locks up with seven minutes left, and can't be restored to the 722 either. All the other programs seem to play fine. (Haven't checked ALL of them all the way through, though. Other than I've got some standard problems: It needs to be unplugged and plugged back in after any period of inactivity (it correctly reports the space remaining, but shows no programs) and sometimes tells me the drive needs to be formatted or is in error, but when I plug it back in it works.

So is this just the start of a greater corruption of the hard drive? Is there anything I can do to save my stuff?

Also, I've tried to look through these pages for recommendations, but it's pretty overwhelming. Is there a better-than-all-other drive, or should I just grab any that people say haven't caused problems?

Thanks!

I have the Maxtor One Touch 4 (750 GB). Installation went smoothly though I never realized how long it took to transfer all that GB of data. Anyway, since installing it there have been numerous occassions where I access the USB storage and I see none of my recordings available despite the fact the drive still shows that space is being used. At first I thought I lost everything but then I realized if I unplug the drive it is fine on reboot. There have also been a few times where the problem corrects itself. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this issue?

Thanks.

TH

I have the Maxtor One Touch 4 (750 GB). Installation went smoothly though I never realized how long it took to transfer all that GB of data. Anyway, since installing it there have been numerous occassions where I access the USB storage and I see none of my recordings available despite the fact the drive still shows that space is being used. At first I thought I lost everything but then I realized if I unplug the drive it is fine on reboot. There have also been a few times where the problem corrects itself. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this issue?

Thanks.

TH

Sounds like the drive might be going into power-save mode. The Dish receivers seem to be unable to wake up a drive that's asleep. I'd try disabling sleep/power save mode on the drive (you might have to connect it to a computer to make this change using whatever software came with the drive).

Sounds like the drive might be going into power-save mode.

I see the same problem with a smaller version of the same drive, a 500GB.

The Dish receivers seem to be unable to wake up a drive that's asleep. I'd try disabling sleep/power save mode on the drive (you might have to connect it to a computer to make this change using whatever software came with the drive).

Oddly enough, the first drive I ever connected, a Western Digital, spins down too, but works perfectly with the 622, which waits for the drive to spin up.

Thanks.

TH

About two weeks ago I bought a Maxtor one touch 4- (640 GB) from Best Buy. It did all the things your unit is doing and a few more. I put up with it until last Sunday's circular came out from Best Buy. This week they have a Western Digital 500 GB unit on sale for $119.95.

I have been using it since Sunday with no error messages and it's working perfectly. I guess some storage units are more compatible with our receivers than others. I would've liked to have more gigabytes, but I'm very happy with my purchase so I will keep it. Hope this helps.:)

Thanks.

TH
Just to let you know I too have started experiencing archiving problems. When process is over, there's nothing there. Re-booting does not help. First time since August this has happened. My hunch is, it's not the drive, rather the info/program is not being read by the 722????

Just to let you know I too have started experiencing archiving problems. When process is over, there's nothing there. Re-booting does not help. First time since August this has happened. My hunch is, it's not the drive, rather the info/program is not being read by the 722????

I got my USB port on the receiver activated about two half weeks ago. At that time I was having trouble because of the software update on the 722 and I did not want to lose some of the programs I had stored in the hard drive.

Since buying the Western drive I have not experienced any problems whatsoever with either the storage unit or the 722. In addition, the erratic search mode problem has gone away. I guess dish must've got it straightened out.

I was lucky when I called to activate the USB port. I told the rep how much trouble I was having with the DVR and she waved the $40 activation fee. I was real happy with that and now I have the best of both worlds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)