External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

I got a Buffalo 500GB DriveStation today to try with my 622. Tranferring content to the drive went without a hitch. However, when I try to playback a show off the drive, it plays for about 3 minutes and then the playback stops, the red access light on the drive goes solid red, and my 622 locks up. I have to reset the 622 to recover it.

Thinking that there might be some incompatibility with the 622 and the DriveStation, I tried to transfer my content back to the 622, and again about 3 minutes into transferring the same lockup occurs. I let it sit for a bit without resetting the 622, and it finally 'timed out' with an error 855, saying something like 'transfer to the USB storage device has stopped' (note that I was transferring from the drive, not to it).

I have a Linux workstation, so I plugged the DriveStation into it and sure enough all the content is there and the drive appears to be in working order. I don't think the DriveStation is at fault.

I haven't tried speaking with Dish tech support yet, it's 1:30 am, LOL. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

I got a Buffalo 500GB DriveStation today to try with my 622. Tranferring content to the drive went without a hitch. However, when I try to playback a show off the drive, it plays for about 3 minutes and then the playback stops, the red access light on the drive goes solid red, and my 622 locks up. I have to reset the 622 to recover it.

Thinking that there might be some incompatibility with the 622 and the DriveStation, I tried to transfer my content back to the 622, and again about 3 minutes into transferring the same lockup occurs. I let it sit for a bit without resetting the 622, and it finally 'timed out' with an error 855, saying something like 'transfer to the USB storage device has stopped' (note that I was transferring from the drive, not to it).

I have a Linux workstation, so I plugged the DriveStation into it and sure enough all the content is there and the drive appears to be in working order. I don't think the DriveStation is at fault.

I haven't tried speaking with Dish tech support yet, it's 1:30 am, LOL. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

I had the same problem with a Lacie hard drive. I then tried the same hard rive on my other 622 and it worked fine. The usb port was not working correctly on the first 622.

BTW. The dish tech MAY can tell you which hard drive is compatible with your 622. Once you tell them the problem get ready for them to say "your hd is bad", of which you have already sated is working. They are useless with help in the external hd dept,

My issues were almost exactly the same with a WD MyBook 500GB. Would do the same thing on my 622 and 722. Originally it worked fine on my 622. Tech support has been no help. Being told it is the hard drive, but I can't understand why it worked for a while and quit.

Do any JBOD type of external enclosures work. I have two SATA 320GB drives I'd like to setup as one large drive using a JBOD enclosure. In theory the configured volume should appear as one large drive to the receiver.... does anyone have any experience with this type of enclosure?

Jim (of Charlie and Jim fame) admonished against buying ehd's with more than one HDD in them, probably will not work with 622/722.

Jim (of Charlie and Jim fame) admonished against buying ehd's with more than one HDD in them, probably will not work with 622/722.

Methinks Jim is far from an expert on tech however. ;)

Some 1TB drives have worked for people, so though not officially supported, some brands do work. It'd be interesting to see what the functional limit really is...

Helo all,
Long time reader of this forum, first time poster. I have a question I could not find on this thread, it might here somewhere though but too many posts to read all. Anyway, I have a 622 with a non-functioning HDMI port. I called tech support and they will swap it out for me with another receiver. While talking to the tech, I inquired about adding external hard drive support so I can save some shows on my current 622 and play them on the new receiver. The tech told me that would not work as the recordings on the external hard drive would be tied to the 622 that I currently have and would not play on a new receiver. I said that I thought that didn't sound right as I know that some of you folks on this forum have multiple receivers in your home and you use the same drive on the different receivers. Before I spend the money on the enabling fee, I just wanted to know if what the tech told me is accurate. Thanks for the help

I have not verified this yet (getting a second VIP installed tomorrow) but supposedly the EHD is tied to the account so ANY 622 / 722 authorized on your account should be able to playback the content on the drive.

Before I spend the money on the enabling fee, I just wanted to know if what the tech told me is accurate. Thanks for the help
Suprise suprise! the tech was 100% wrong.

Even in the bad old days, you could move the EHD from one DVR to another on your account and back three times. However that "three and reformat limit is gone".

How do you turn off sleep mode on the seagate free agent external hard drive?

Connect the drive to your computer and install the software that came with the drive (or download it from Seagate's web site). The drive manager software lets you disable the sleep mode.

Obviously, if your computer offers to reformat the drive when you connect it, decline the offer. Even though Windows or the Mac OS won't recognize the filesystem of the drive, you can still disable the sleep mode.

Jeff

Hi, I bought a Western Dig. ext. drive- Model: It's "My Book-Home Edition", Model # WD5000H1CS, 500GB 1 month ago. It works perfectly in all areas & functions. I just wanted to let anyone know who are considering an ext. drive for archiving programs.:)

What problems are there with the seagate external drive sleep mode? I lose some functionality with mine.

I got my 722 installed 3 weeks ago. It had the L610 software. I attached a Seagate Maxtor Onetouch 4 750GB HDD and had Dish activate the USB port. The HDD worked OK for archiving as long as the it was not in sleep mode; otherwise I had to unplug the USP cable and reinstall it to wake up the HDD for archiving.

On 8/19 my 722 software was upgraded to L612. Since then, no problems saving to or playing from the HDD. Seems like there was a fix in the L612 to wake up the Seagate HDD from its sleep mode.

I got my 722 installed 3 weeks ago. It had the L610 software. I attached a Seagate Maxtor Onetouch 4 750GB HDD and had Dish activate the USB port. The HDD worked OK for archiving as long as the it was not in sleep mode; otherwise I had to unplug the USP cable and reinstall it to wake up the HDD for archiving.

On 8/19 my 722 software was upgraded to L612. Since then, no problems saving to or playing from the HDD. Seems like there was a fix in the L612 to wake up the Seagate HDD from its sleep mode.

My Seagate drive now seems to be working fine as well after 6.1.2. Before, I could only play a few minutes of video from the drive before the picture would freeze up. So far so good after playing quite a few hours of saved recordings.

I had disabled the power-save on the drive but now I will try turning it back on.

seagate sleep mode

My Seagate drive now seems to be working fine as well after 6.1.2. Before, I could only play a few minutes of video from the drive before the picture would freeze up. So far so good after playing quite a few hours of saved recordings.

I had disabled the power-save on the drive but now I will try turning it back on.

Please let me know if that worked (turning the sleep mode back on)? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts