External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Requirements for connecting EHD

A USB 2.0 external hard drive which is larger than 40GB and no larger than 750GB
The hard drive must have its own AC power adapter
No dual drives (two drives in one case)
No flash-memory drives
No hybrid drives (flash memory plus traditional disk in one physical case)
If the drive comes with sleep mode turned on it should be turned off

When did they increase the limit on the EHD and how the heck do I determine if there's one physical disk in the drive?

I've got two brand new 750GB drives sitting on a shelf over there waiting to be used and can get 90-98 HD movies on a drive, so I'm not that worried about storage...

My case:
with 302 SD movie recordings averaging 1889MB and 114 minutes not including filler for time
and 427 HD movie recordings averaging 5686MB and 119 minutes,
you should get more than 150 mixed movies per full 750GB drive.
BTW, I just added a 1000GB Cavalry drive to my 5 750GB WD drives so they are no longer all full now with one dedicated to series and PBS types.
Note a 750,000,000,000 byte drive holds about 697GB.
The largest SD contributor is 183 TCM recordings--sure wish it was in HD.

-Ken

Last edited:
I am not exactly sure when this was fixed, but my "My Book 750GB is now working just fine again. It had a problem where when I watched a program from my External HD, it would hesitate after a few moments of viewing, and then would lock up about 30 seconds later. I would either have to reboot the External HD or the 622 to be able to view External HD content again. But that often just led to a repeat of the problem.

I ended up not using the External HD for some time, but was too stuborn to delete anything. Now I have started to use it again, and I am able to view those same recordings without issue now.

Maxtor 750G

I've got a Maxtor One Touch With a VIP722. I let it spin down and it will 'usually' spin back up and work.

I can't delete anything. It goes through the motions shows that it is deleting and the show is still there. Same with restore. It goes through the motions and transfers it back to the PVR but it remains on the EHD.

I haven't tried anything yet. I am hoping someone else has figured it out already.

Anybody? Anybody?

Do have 750/WD & works great, not happen to me yet.
I wants to get WD digital media player, to play my DVD recorded stuffs from external to my sis TV with that WD media player. I heard don’t plays DVR files; I don’t know is really don t work or they just saying it. Anyone knows?

WD media player

Your stuff from a Dish DVR will only play on Dish receivers on your account. So no you can't play it on your sis's TV. Anyway Dish DVR formats the whole disk so anything on there will be wiped out. So the OS on WD media player would be gone.

Is very hard to find WD/750GB these days..thats what i buy always..since 1TB release looks like WD dont makes 750GB any more like used to.i have hard problem to find 750GB..now is 1TB is same price the 750GB might be thats why..look like they makes 500GB OR 1TB..i dont know dish DVR takes 1TB? but i like 750GB is better they says..

I've got a Maxtor One Touch With a VIP722. I let it spin down and it will 'usually' spin back up and work.

I can't delete anything. It goes through the motions shows that it is deleting and the show is still there. Same with restore. It goes through the motions and transfers it back to the PVR but it remains on the EHD.

I haven't tried anything yet. I am hoping someone else has figured it out already.

Anybody? Anybody?

So what I did was read some more and saw that one can see the partitions in Linux. I brought the drive to my computer room and hooked up to my Ubuntu 8.10 and saw three partitions. Not too exciting.

Thought I would look in XP and again saw three partitions but the software to control the EHD is gone. I think I used Gparted to wipe the drive before the Dish format. Again nothing to write home about.

While I was reading hours of this thread I decided to reboot the VIP722 while nothing was happening.

So the wife returned, we watched a couple of movies and she is taking down the Christmas decorations. I offered to help! She said I wouldn't know where to put stuff and I'm too rough anyway. (Carefully cultivated concepts thank you!) So I hook up the EHD and it works like a champ!

Oh I have my EHD powered through my AVR switched port. So if it is acting funny I can turn it off without getting off the couch. And removes the power when I'm away.

I think a valuable step in any troubleshooting routine is to unhook the USB and reboot the receiver.

Happy New Year!

Maxtor 1 TB HD running ok on 622

I first connected the Maxtor (OneTouch 4, not the "plus" model) to XP and turned off the power saving spindown option - having read about possible problems in this area. On my first connection to the 622 it formatted without objection.

It has worked flawlessly from the outset, including my playback of movies directly from the HD. I turn the HD on/off by using an X10 module. I have turned the HD on/off at random times with no objection or difficulty from the 622 (spindown may work ok??) . I receive a message that an external device has been detected/removed. I "select" ok and that's it. :)

Im using a Dish Network vip622 HD DVR (s/w ver L614rbgd-N). My Ext. HDD is a Maxtor one touch 4 (Not plus) it runs on version 4.7.0.7. (Both units software upto date) When I activated the USB port on the DVR box everything seem to work, but when I tried to archive anything (most items were less than 900m) kept receiving the 855 error, then it would say that the Ext HDD is in use for another 5 min?? I pulled the Ext. HDD off the DVR box, reformated it using winxp and reinstalled the maxtor software to change the powersetting on the ext. HDD. to "never" spindown. What I found before formating was the DVR formated it into 3 different sized; 1) 10g 2) 500g 3)200g. or something like that?? Strange. Anyone have the same experience with the dvr formating like this or is this normal with a dvr. I know I am probably repeating some of the same information that has been thrown around on the very big thread, but after reading so many pages the eys start to cross!! I will try to reconnect it to the DVR box and reformat to see if this works.

simtech