External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Is there any way to delete a show after watching it from the EHD without having to select it from the list again ?? Like from the internal hd, show ends gives a delete option right there on the screen. i have never had this on a show from the EHD when it ended. This is a pain if i have say 10 of the same show, need to figure what i just watched to delete it.
Hope this makes sense and thanks for the time.

211 w/EHD - programs stop, then resume; another problem ??

If this was mentioned/covered before I apologize. Normally I search a topic before posting but in this case I didn't know how to search it.

I have had an EHD on my 211 for about 3 weeks now. In recent days I've noticed a couple of things that are troubling, perhaps a sign of a failing HDD ??

First, if I'm watching a program with a "crawl" along the bottom of the screen, every couple of minutes the moving text seems to "stutter" a bit, like for a couple of frames. It is usually barely perceptable. The rest of the image usually seems to be unchanged but sometimes the break-up is more extensive. I am seeing this while watching recorded shows, but it might be there for Live TV programs as well. (With an EHD attached, isn't everything being watched coming from the HDD, whether in real time or not?)

Second, once or twice an evening the recorded program I'm watching will begin to drop-out, then the audio breaks-up, then the screen goes to grey altogether. I can stop/resume the program or I can wait for about 15 seconds and it will resume all by itself. In all but one case, if I back up what I missed is there and will play OK and the program continues like nothing happened. Again, this might be there for Live TV as well but I haven't checked. (I'm mostly time-shifting these days.)

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Was it indeed a bad HDD? I realize the one I chose is not intended for 24/7 operation like it's seeing at present, but I didn't expect any issues with it so soon! It is operating in free air and is only slightly warm to the touch.

It's so easy to check your disk - this is external !
DLoad ISO of MHDD and use F8 - get SMART, memorize it or write down values; then run F4 with REMAP=ON, then ask SMART table again - compare and post results here.

SUmmary details in other threads ( 622 and Seagate Freeagent 500GB
1 1st try to manage device on each 622 resulted in format error; 2nd try worked.
2 Transferred programs to both external hard drives. On second try to view an archived program the 1st 622 it could not recognize the hard drive. It gave an error message that the hard drive was formated for another receiver, reformated the drive and cleared all programs. on the ist try to view programs on the second 622's hard drive the drive showed empty. i went back and selected manage device again. This time it saw the programs.
3 the time estimates the 622 gives to send and restore are way off. A 30 minute store took 20 and a 33 minute restore took 15. quicker is better. However, a correct figure would be nice also.

What are you guys using for format on new usb ext hdd? newbie here.. looking but not find.

external hard drive

I have a external 500 gb hard drive connected to the VIP 722 I would like to view the programs on the hard drive on my PC can that be don ?

I have a external 500 gb hard drive connected to the VIP 722 I would like to view the programs on the hard drive on my PC can that be don ?

Nope. Not a chance. The drive is formatted by your 722 using a Linux type file system that Windows won't recognize. The files on the drive are encoded. So, no, it can't be done.

That would be a great thing if we had that. One thing I also do with my PC is stream avi files of my favorite shows and use tversity to stream them to my TVs via the xbox 360. Works amazing on divx or wmv. Wmv actually don't need the extra software but will play if you have sharing on in windows media player 11

If my sat could do this I would have the best of both world!

That and being able to move files from the DVR to any PC on the network......that's my dream!

It's so easy to check your disk - this is external !
DLoad ISO of MHDD and use F8 - get SMART, memorize it or write down values; then run F4 with REMAP=ON, then ask SMART table again - compare and post results here.
Smith, P. Tks for your response. Perhaps that's easy for you, but it's mostly "geek" to me, as in I have no experience with examining a HDD's contents. What is "MHDD" and where do I get the ISO file? (Sorry for such novice questions, but that's where I am with all this!)

I do not have BB internet at home; D/L'ing most anything over a dial-up is nearly impossible. I'll try to bring that HDD here to work and connect it to the computer I'm using now, then stumble trough what you said. Maybe I'll get lucky and arrive at the comparison you suggested I provide...

Tks again for trying to help me...

Activated EHD today and had no problems moving videos from 622 to the drive or playing them back, but when I connected the HD to the 722k and attempt to access it tells that the HD is formatted for another dish dvr and must be formatted for this device losing all media stored on device. Any tips.

Last edited:
Get a hit.

Have the Tech dept. give your systems a "hit". This can be done by chat, too. It should take not much more than the time to make the request.

This will reset your household key on each machine. Nominally they should be the same on each recorder--see menu-6-3(diagnostics)-counters-page down 6 times.

I had one go out twice and it is initially 0. Each time 2 recorders ended up the same the third was different in the last digit? I would not expect more change than that between them. No one has yet explained how they can be changed and still work with my 6 EHD ensemble. Dish magic?
-Ken

Gotta a Hit

Have the Tech dept. give your systems a "hit". This can be done by chat, too. It should take not much more than the time to make the request.

This will reset your household key on each machine. Nominally they should be the same on each recorder--see menu-6-3(diagnostics)-counters-page down 6 times.

I had one go out twice and it is initially 0. Each time 2 recorders ended up the same the third was different in the last digit? I would not expect more change than that between them. No one has yet explained how they can be changed and still work with my 6 EHD ensemble. Dish magic?
-Ken

Thanks, the hit cured the problem.

I'm running a ViP-211 with a WD Essentials 750Gb EHD. Every so often I'll get a glitch in the recording where the image will pixilate away and fadein on a spot abot ten seconds later with picture...and no sound! If I hit pause then play, the sound returns. The missing chunk of show is not recoverable, however.

This happens whether the source material is OTA or DISH channels.

Howie - I had way too many such problems with that exact hard drive due to the crummy USB interface in it. I hooked the WD Essentials drive up to my son's PC as a backup drive and bought a Seagate 750 SATA drive for the DVR which I placed in a BlackX Dock ($40) that has a great USB chip in it. Have not had one problem since. You also have the advantage of plugging in as many hard drives as you wish since the dock supports hot plugging. I do NOT recommend the WD Essentials drives for Dish DVR use.

I have three Seagate Freeagent 500gb hard drives. I have removed the automatic rest-mode with the freeagent software as others have suggested. Lately, every time I go to watch a movie, it plays for 5 minutes and then freezes, and there is nothing I can do with the Dish remote, the still image stays on the screen and I have to unplug the drives. It happens on all 3. Then I get a message (if I switch to another drive) that the drive connected is not supported by Dish. These have worked well in the past, can anyone tell me what is going on here?

I have three Seagate Freeagent 500gb hard drives. I have removed the automatic rest-mode with the freeagent software as others have suggested. Lately, every time I go to watch a movie, it plays for 5 minutes and then freezes, and there is nothing I can do with the Dish remote, the still image stays on the screen and I have to unplug the drives. It happens on all 3. Then I get a message (if I switch to another drive) that the drive connected is not supported by Dish. These have worked well in the past, can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Do you have a 622 or 722. Interestingly, I have one brand of external enclosure that seems to work fine on the 722, but experiences errors like yours on the 622.

I have 2 suggestions:

First, once you get an error like this, I would reboot the 622/722 before trying another drive.

Second, go get a Linux stand-alone boot cd and use it to run a check disk on the drive. The file structures are probably broken.

here's the command I like to use (from a terminal):

sudo e2fsck -f -C 0 /dev/sdl1
sudo e2fsck -f -C 0 /dev/sdl2
sudo e2fsck -f -C 0 /dev/sdl3

Your device will be different, but a 750 gigger will have 3 partitions. Use the Partition editor to figure out the device. Close the partition editor and unmount the drive before running e2fsck.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ed-error-linux-e2fsck-repair.html#post1524339

Sometimes I have found missing programs in the "lost and fount" folder after the repair. It is possible to move them back, should you'll need to make yourself root to do this. Make the folder structure look the same.

Here's some more interesting reading:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...r-recordings-one-ehd-another.html#post1280090

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)