External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Not sure what Dish did with the latest code release for the 622, but in the last month I've had to run e2fsck on my external hard drive 3 times... I may break down and end up reformatting my drive but I wanted to post some screenshots of the repair process I've been using incase it helps anyone else out. If your my media folder is intermittently working or not showing up at all or you are getting the 'feature not supported' error give this guide a try. I know the e2fsck commands are listed in several threads but I wanted to try to put it all together in an easy to follow process with screenshots along the way.

I used vmware to run this under a VM in my guide just to make it easier to take screenshots of the process.
-Matt

Thank you so much for this guide, downloaded and followed the steps and it worked great. I usually lurk and rarely post anywhere but i had to say thank you. :D . the morning was not good after seeing the "format disk to use" message on my 622 with 500g + of stuff stored, made for a long day at work. This fix was quick and painless, although had the usual hope this works thoughts during the process. I have to admit i did let out some happy noise when i reconnected to the 622 and it was golden again.

Joel

What Linux fix did you try ?
Did you run the e2fsck ?
On the Linuix machine can you see the folders with the stored events ?

I once had a corrupt event that cause problems loading the program list.

So, I grabbed another drive, let the 622 format it, transferred 1 event to the new drive (so there would be someting there), then...

Plugged the bad and new drives into a Linux machine & copied the program folders from one to the other. It takes some trial and error. Once I copied the bad folder, the new drive stopped working. I then went back to the Linux machine and deleted the bad folder. The drive was then fine.

The permissions are a pain. You need to be a "super user" to copy the files. I'm not a linux expert, someone can fill in the blanks (it's been awhile). But, I launched a file browser as a super user and used that to copy the folders.

Yes I ran e2fsck. It didn't find a problem with the super blocks but when I ran the other test using the previously found super block numbers it did correct some apparent errors. It still didn't work on my 722 however.

I don't remember seeing any folders on the Linux machine but being a Linux newb myself I may not have noticed and or looked. I'll plug it in again and see.

I need to order another external HD and try your other suggestion. Sounds like a lot of hoop jumping but I do have a quite a few movies that I would like to recover so hoop jumping I will go! :)

Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It would appear that e2fsck did work after all. It made a bunch of numbered files and folders on the drive but the 722 still couldn't see anything. After looking through the folders, all but one of which was pretty much empty, I found one that was very full. I changed the name of the current, and empty, "DishArc" folder to "DishArc2" and renamed the "numbered" folder with all of the files "DishArc", hooked it back up to the 722 and voila all my shows are back!

I have since copied all of the files over to a new HD and that one is working as well. I may have to install Linux on one of my extra computers to have ready for any future problems as well as get to know Linux a bit more. Very useful, thanks again!

It would appear that e2fsck did work after all

Cool. Yes, it's all quite a mess. I still believe were dealing with a crappy USB implmentation that is complete intolerant of any data transfer errors. So the drive with the better interfaces work fine, while other frequent have problems.

If nothing else, dish could really help out by providing an option for the user to run e2fsck on the external drive.

No, because your receiver is not really turning off and you are turning the EHD off, so when you turn it back on the receiver sees it and asks if you want to use it.

The only way to make this message go away is to not turn the EHD off.

I recently added a 1 TB Seagate to my 622 and I added a bunch of movies and works great...until the next day when it suddenly states there's a problem and I have to unplug and plug it back in for it to work. I don't lose any movies, but it's pretty annoying to have power down and up everyday. Any suggestions?

I have the same boxes and had the same problem until I disabled the auto spindown on the drive with the seagate software.

The Seagates will do this when they spin down. The Western Digital drives spin down but they are intelligent enough to spoof the interface to not let the device (PC, DVR, etc) know they have spun down. The first disk access just takes a little (well, quite a little) longer to respond. But using a WD EHD you can still have the drive spin down and the VIP is still happy as a clam!

Hello All,
New member here. I'm looking to install a EHD on my VIP 722. Do I need to call Dish Network for them to turn on that ability like the instruction book says?
Also, I see Costco has a Western Digital 1 TB My Book Home Edition, FireWire 400, USB 2.0 and eSATA. Will it work?
I did a search for these answers but I keep coming to this thread. Is there a thread out there that I missed? Thank you in advance.

Yeah, you need to have them activate and pay the fee.

I used a 1TB My Book Essential without issue, dunno about the Home. Needs to have a USB interface, whatever you get.

Hello All,
New member here. I'm looking to install a EHD on my VIP 722. Do I need to call Dish Network for them to turn on that ability like the instruction book says?
Also, I see Costco has a Western Digital 1 TB My Book Home Edition, FireWire 400, USB 2.0 and eSATA. Will it work?
I did a search for these answers but I keep coming to this thread. Is there a thread out there that I missed? Thank you in advance.

There was very informative [long] thread opened when we got news about the EHD and guessed a price for the feature; that thread filled quickly by last minute experience from all ppl who did authorize EHD, who tested different disks, got excessive fee, etc, etc.

Thanks for the reply elwaylite.
I've been reading since my last post. If I wanted to transfer the recordings to my PC, could I connnect a Hauppauge 1212 to the VIP 7422 and connect the EHD to the 1212? Then move the EHD back and forth to the PC?

Just saw the reply from Smith, P. Does DISH charge you for each new EHD?

Thanks for the reply elwaylite.
I've been reading since my last post. If I wanted to transfer the recordings to my PC, could I connnect a Hauppauge 1212 to the VIP 7422 and connect the EHD to the 1212? Then move the EHD back and forth to the PC?

Just saw the reply from Smith, P. Does DISH charge you for each new EHD?

NO.

But really, all the answers are there in that famous thread. Please, find it, take your time.

Hello All,
I activated via the dial-up phone number presented on the screen. Only problem with my activation was that I called the number and it indicated my EHD was now activated. Went to access the EHD, and it said it wasn't activated. Tried again. Same thing. Then I called support. They said the EHD was being activated against my other HD receiver, not my main one with the DVR. So the support person corrected it and it works fine.

The followup though was that my next bill had me for 3-activations fees. So I had to call billing and get that straightened out. Not a seemless as the way it ought to be, but I got there without too much headache.

Dish 722 USB External HDD Recognized Limit: 1.5TB or 2.0TB ?

I’m have many Dish 722's with 1TB USB External HDD's with no real problems.

Q. Did I’m read somewhere that Seagate 1.5TB HDD's can be used in USB HDD enclosures and are fully recognized as 1.5TB by Dish 722's?

Q. If so, has anyone been successful in using a Seagate 2.0TB HDD's in a USB HDD enclosure and have it fully recognized as 2.0TB by Dish 722's?

Q. If so, which USB External Enclosure worked with the Seagate 1.5TB HDD's and/or Seagate 2.0TB HDD's and

Thanks in advance.

Murray