external hard drive capacity

fishman316

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
michigan
My mother wants my wife and I to get her an EHD to save movies that she records on her dish dvr. How many HD movies will a 1TB drive hold? Also what is a good EHD at a reasonable price? Is there a fee for using one with dish? thanks

If its the 622/722/922 there is no fee
211/411 has a one time $40 fee but that covers all the 211/411 receivers on your account

as for how many HD movies will it hold...I'd say a lot. But it all depends on the channel and how much bandwidth the channel uses. I dont think there is an exact number

211/411 has a one time $40 fee but that covers all the 211/411 receivers on your account

as for how many HD movies will it hold...I'd say a lot. But it all depends on the channel and how much bandwidth the channel uses. I dont think there is an exact number

+1

The Western Digital Essential is a good one that can be had for a reasonable price.

Ed

Figure 1600 to 2400 MB/hr of recording MPEG-4 (all current Dish HD channels) and 4000 to 6400 MB/hr for OTA MPEG-2 HD.
SD MPEG-2 channels are 600 to 1000 MB/hr. So 1TB EHD should hold more than 200 typical Dish HD movies of 2 hrs each.
More than twice that for SD. Happy viewing.
BTW, I have 2000 movies, mostly HD, on 11 drives from 750GB to 2TB. Now to find the time to see them.
-Ken

really, no fee on 622/722/922? I hadn't seen that, it was a $40 one time fee, and as far as I knew it hadn't changed. Now I can't seem to log into my dish account to see if it still shows that I would be charged the fee to unable EHDs

What is the largest Hard Drive that Dish Receivers will support?? I have a 750MB right now, but would like to add another and with the prices being so reasonable I would like to add the largest one possible.

What is the largest Hard Drive that Dish Receivers will support?? I have a 750MB right now, but would like to add another and with the prices being so reasonable I would like to add the largest one possible.
2T. But remember, the bigger the drive, the more you will lose if it fails.

I am not sure how many movies a 1 TB external hard dirve will hold. I have a 2 TB Hitachi that I got for $80.00 and it works great!

I bought a Western Digital 1.5TB for a 211 receiver. On the "My Recordings" page DISH says just less than 150 hrs of HD or almost 600 hrs of SD capacity was available when I first got it. KKlare's figures from a previous post (above) would show a higher capacity for this EHD, but I think the usable capacity is less because DISH uses some of the capacity for its own use. I believe DISH will accept up to 2TB, at least for the 211. I found a good price for a refurb 1.5TB; otherwise I would have gotten a 2TB. Already, I wish I'd gotten a 2TB; it's just like screen size: more is better.

the whole how many hours it shows on the hard drive is so deceptive. Great example is yesterday

showed in my 500GB drive that I had 39 HD hours left and an oodles of SD left. So yesterday I recorded the following
4 hours from HD OTA
3 1/2 hours SD sat
3 1/2 hours of SD sat
4 hours of HD sat
4 hours of HD OTA

yet it shows around 34 1/2 hours of HD left? I guess I wont complain but its very deceiving

Iceberg said:
the whole how many hours it shows on the hard drive is so deceptive. Great example is yesterday

showed in my 500GB drive that I had 39 HD hours left and an oodles of SD left. So yesterday I recorded the following
4 hours from HD OTA
3 1/2 hours SD sat
3 1/2 hours of SD sat
4 hours of HD sat
4 hours of HD OTA

yet it shows around 34 1/2 hours of HD left? I guess I wont complain but its very deceiving

Yeah, it never makes sense. Before upgrading to a 922 I had a 612. It only shows a capacity of 30 hd hrs. I counted all programs recorded and it came to something like 45 hrs and it still showed 13 hrs available. if not all, then just about all of that was hd recordings

AFIK, the signal supplied by Dish is compressed while ota is not. And the signal on the earc is more compressed than that of the warc.
AFAIK, all signals are compressed, but the DISH EArc HD is MPEG4, and OTA and WArc Dish HD are compressed MPEG2, which like you said, doesn't compress as well.

With the MPEG4 compression scheme you use roughly half the space that is used by MPEG2. The receiver's meter is still based on MPEG2, I believe. So, when the meter says you have 54 hours of HD left, you really have 108 hours. The OTA is MPEG2, you only get 54 hours of HD if you only record OTA. The SD channels on the western arc are still MPEG2. When you record a mix of all of them, you get what Iceberg's results post is all about...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)