external hard drive capacity

ok this had me wondering about how much a program takes up on the hard drive so I was going through some routine organizing (ie: deleting) and here is what the hard drive showed after each program

Started with 35 hr 1 min in HD 140h3m in SD
Removed a 37 minute MPEG4 HD program....35h10m 140h39m
Removed a 30 minute OTA HD program (720p channel)...35h15m 142h00m
Removed a 1 hour OTA subchannel program (480i channel)...36h06m 144h24m
Removed a 1 hour 2 minute MPEG4 HD (MLB Net)....36h18m 145h12m
Removed a 3 hour SD program...37h7m 148h29m <-----this solidifies that the SD amount is set for a MPEG2 setup
Removed a 2 1/2 hour MPEG4 HD program...37h38m 150h33m

so when all said an done
SD amount is for SD MPEG2 satellite programming
HD is about 5:1 ratio....5 minutes of HD sat programming = 1 minute on the hard drive space
HD OTA is about a 2:1 on HD
SD OTA must vary depending on the bandwidth of the subchannel

I guess I'll have to run some more tests ;)

Good analysis Iceberg.Do have a question though.After deleting each show did you exit the dvr menu and then return?The reason I ask is because I have noticed that the counter seems to climb up in space after deleting a show then exiting the dvr menu and coming back to the dvr menu again.

yeah I went out and waited a couple minutes before going back in to the list. I noticed when I would delete a program the HD went up like 2 minutes then a minute or so later it would give the right info. Obviously it was trying to figure out hard drive space

You will only get USB2.0 speeds, at best.

Figure it by the megabyte (MB), and convert that to time, if needed.
Know that disk drive makers use powers of 1000 in their sizes, PC and Dish use powers of 1024.
Thus a "1TB" drive has 1000^4 bytes but only 931 GB as we figure it.
This is not a formatting loss, just different definitions.
SD requires 600 to 1000 MB/hr recording not including any commercials, etc. Less for EA MPEG-4 SD.
HD MPEG-4 is 1600 to 2300 MB/hr and with commercials it can got to over 2800 MB/hr.
HD OTA MPEG-2 is 4000 MB/hr with sub-channels to 6400 PBS with 1 SD sub-channel, again no ads.
For MPEG-4 the size varies with the content. For MPEG-2 it varies little except for bandwidth.

You can find the program/file sizes with an EHD in and DVR+6+2+2 to set those on the DVR in MB.
For those on the EHD use DVR+6+2+1. Sorry, you cannot see sizes without the EHD.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts