external hard drive capacity

With the MPEG4 compression scheme you use roughly half the space that is used by MPEG2. The receiver's meter is still based on MPEG2, I believe. So, when the meter says you have 54 hours of HD left, you really have 108 hours. The OTA is MPEG2, you only get 54 hours of HD if you only record OTA. The SD channels on the western arc are still MPEG2. When you record a mix of all of them, you get what Iceberg's results post is all about...
Still, Iceberg quoted 8 hours of OTA recordings, which if the meter is based on MPEG2, should have reduced his remaining time by at least 8 hours, not 4.5 like it did.

really, no fee on 622/722/922? I hadn't seen that, it was a $40 one time fee, and as far as I knew it hadn't changed. Now I can't seem to log into my dish account to see if it still shows that I would be charged the fee to unable EHDs

They dropped the fee last Feb. If you log onto your account, you will see that you will see that you don't have an ehd activated. That's because they dropped the fee and no longer need to track if it is activated.

Been hearing that hdd prices are on the rise due somewhat to flooding in Thailand.Now may not be the best time to buy.Black Friday is just around the corner and there should be some awesome deals.

Still, Iceberg quoted 8 hours of OTA recordings, which if the meter is based on MPEG2, should have reduced his remaining time by at least 8 hours, not 4.5 like it did.

the only thing I can think of is one station was the "main" channel of a 3 channel mux (720p) and the other was my local CBS which has no subchannels and 1080i

This is on WA by the way

The Dish DVR reports time based on the disk available and based on older MPEG-2 recording rates. That is nearly twice the space required by MPEG-4, like 4000 MB/hr vs 2000 MB/hr now in HD. Most people feel better working in hours but the real measure is megabytes or gigabytes. For reference a DVD is 4 GB and that is 2 hours in SP mode of MPEG-2, which runs at a constant rate, so don't expect more or less of a DVD.

OTA recording have shrunk slightly because many channels run sub-channels, which reduces the bandwidth available for the main channel--the one you are likely recording. A full OTA HD channel would be more like 7000 MB/hr. SD-like sub-channels are likely 1000 MB/hr or less.

I have a few Dish, HBO and like recordings that are only 1500 MB/hr but most are 1800 to 2200. They used to be 3000 to 4000. TCM is unconverted to HD from SD and runs to the low side of the recording range. Those recordings with letterbox are less because the black/empty space compresses very well.

-Ken

Its interesting...I removed a 1/2 hour MPEG4 program and the "HD" number went up by like 9 minutes
I removed the 4 hour OTA program and "HD" went up only 1 hour 40 minutes or so

its just weird....

I have had similar numbers...I deleted a 4.5 hour MPEG4 sports program (damn you Steelers), and my available HD space went up by only 1 hour 15 minutes.

I am having a problem with my replacement 722 seeing my hard drive. It was connected to the old receiver with no problems. I had paid $39.00 a few years ago. I get an error code "850". Dish techs tell me that there is no problem. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Loyd

this is an old link but the dish tech portal says this
Symptom
Attention 850

Cause
Appears when a device has been connected to the receiver that is not supported in type or size between 50GB and 1TB.

Prevention
Only connect supported multimedia devices to the receiver.

Troubleshooting

Disconnect the device from the receiver.
Select OK to continue.
obviously the 1TB is wrong. Did you try removing the drive and reinserting it?

I am having a problem with my replacement 722 seeing my hard drive. It was connected to the old receiver with no problems. I had paid $39.00 a few years ago. I get an error code "850". Dish techs tell me that there is no problem. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Loyd

If you could please PM the receiver and smart card number along with your account number, I would be able to help.

Yes and same results. I had a tech at my house at the time and he couldn't help. Not sure what size, I think 500GB, but I am out of state right now.
Thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts