External Hard Drive Icons Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

glenwms

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
NC
:confused:

Okay, seriously...what in the world is going on with the icons on the external hard drive? I was thrilled when the latest Hopper software update seemed to fix the "missing icons" bug, but now it's back to its old tricks.

I use my external hard drive to archive movies that we want to watch later. On the transfer screen, all of the metadata (icon displaying the movie along with the full description) is included. Once it's been moved to the EHD, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason whether the metadata comes along with it. What makes this even worse is the fact that some days the icon and full description is there, and then the next day it's back to either a blank "Dish" tile or maybe the channel logo in place of where the movie icon should be.

For example, I've had "Cabin In The Woods" (don't judge me...I actually like this movie) on the EHD for a couple of months, recorded from Epix. Now, the tile diplays the Epix logo. Tomorrow, it may go back to the correct picture.

At first, I thought it may have something to do with subscribed channels, but that's not the case. Also, I've noticed some stations (such as SyFy or AMC) always show the channel logos instead of the movie icon.

I know Dish has much bigger things on their plate, but I'm just wondering how hard is it to copy the metadata over to the EHD and update the code so it will keep everything intact?

Last edited:
Do you have any TV shows that have multiple episodes? If so, try transfering 1 episode of a TV show to the EHD while leaving 1 episode on the Hoppers internal drive and let us know if the art work appears on the EHD for that program.

No, I only archive movies on the EHD. This baffles me how everything is intact on the internal hard drive, but after the transfer it loses the info.

One other thing I tried recently...I had a movie on the EHD that never has any picture on it. This movie came on again recently so I recorded it again (to the internal hard drive). The full metadata is there (of course, still on the internal drive). I delete the movie from the internal drive, then transferred from the EHD back to the Hopper. It still showed the blank Dish icon, even on the internal hard drive. Something is happening in the transfer process with the metadata.

I doubt the icon metadata is transferred to the EHD. I think that's what Lucky was getting at--that you need a sample on the IHD to get the icon when displaying the EHD contents. Actually I was surprised that there were any icons. Too many of mine are the same--too many from TCM. Yet there are icons from a lot of movies and they seem to be there, at least for a while, after you move them. Curious.
-Ken

When the latest Hopper software came out in April (S244 I believe), every single movie had the full icon as well as the full description. I was absolutely thrilled, but since then it seems to lose more and more data each day. I've tried a full system reboot (unplugged Hopper power for over 30 minutes) as well as a couple of soft "red button" resets. I've also power cycled the EHD a few times, but none of this seems to help.

I'm hoping Dish will figure this out.

When the latest Hopper software came out in April (S244 I believe), every single movie had the full icon as well as the full description. I was absolutely thrilled, but since then it seems to lose more and more data each day. I've tried a full system reboot (unplugged Hopper power for over 30 minutes) as well as a couple of soft "red button" resets. I've also power cycled the EHD a few times, but none of this seems to help.

I'm hoping Dish will figure this out.

Remember when there was no icon at all?.......before the latest update. Try transferring programs back to Hopper....look familiar? They transfixed or reversed the programming to satisfy the majority viewing their EHD. The issue has yet to be totally addressed.... the bandaid approach by the fixers.

But will they "fix" the recorded date from year 2106? Is the true date still in the recording or was it overwritten in the metadata?

Can they "recover" or replace icons from recordings that have "lost" them? Maybe an early frame downsized?
Maybe we could pick a frame and use that resized as the icon?

Will we ever be able to change the recording names like before on the 722s?

I do like that sometimes(?) listing a series you get the subtitle names.

-Ken

Last edited:
Yes, this was definitely a band-aid job this time around. I believe this is something that should be fixed so whichever way you transfer, the info comes along with it. This was also an issue with the 922s, but I believe they finally got that resolved.

I had quite a few icons populate overnight on some recent recordings, but it took away the icon and full description on some movies that had been recorded months ago where those few had always shown the icons. Just trying to make sense of this......

I just installed the hopper yesterday, I don't see a "transfer" option for dvr to hard drive or hard drive to dvr, what sequence allows that?

First make sure the Hopper sees the ehd. DVR/Scroll up to red button, move to the name of the dvr, Select and see if the ehd is listed. If it is, Menu, Scroll down to ehd icon. Select Hopper then ehd/next. Select the programs you want to transfer then press yellow button.

The transfer operation is separate from the view and delete found in the DVR menu.

Press Menu + 2 downs + 3 rights (or 2 lefts) and then the EHD tile.
Select From and To and Next. Then select the folders or singletons to transfer.
You cannot copy EHD to another EHD.
With the transfer time up (it starts at about 2X elapsed) pressing Cancel will return you to the From+To selection.
You can set another transfer to a second EHD or Cancel your way out or use View.
The are at least 4 EHD To/From available. Have not tested more than 3 at a time.

-Ken

I found it in the "Menu", WTH did they hide this function there instead of it being easy to find with multiple pushes of the DVR button like the VIP ones have?

I hooked up my EHD to the Hopper last night and transferred about 80 movies over to it. The process went fairly smooth, but about 25 movies do not have a logo now. I saw this was an issue a few months ago and seems to still be one. Does it take a few days for all the logos to show up? I have the latest Hopper software so I don't know what may be causing the issue. I have original Hopper in case that matters.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)