Extra Charge or Not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bmonty25

Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
I just recently had an installation. I asked for 1 HD/DVR, 2 HD Receivers, and 1 SD. I ended up ordering the service twice. Once over the phone, and then at Best Buy during their Black Friday Special.

Each time I ordered I was never informed that there is an Installation charge for additional "Advanced Receivers". I was charged $138 for two receivers install. I have searched all of my paperwork, contract, online. I have not been able to find where it states there is an additional charge for additional "Advanced Receivers"

I tried calling the customer service line, but I must have called on a busy night because they kept me online for 1:45 minutes waiting for a manager/supervisor

I am very pissed off because I was never told about the additional charge. Don't get me wrong I understand the $99 fee for the rental/purchase of the boxes, but not to install it.

They stated it is common practice that their promotions only include one advanced receiver per account. I just cant get over the fact they sold me on a great promotion, but then charged me when they never told me there would be a charge.

Very Frustrated.

Were you charged for them to simply hook up the advanced receivers using the existing coaxial cable already there or did they physically have to spend hours pulling cable throughout your house? If your cable was already there & they simply plugged in the box then this charge is wrong but if they ran cable all over the place then it sounds about right. Just out of curiosity, where do you live & which company came out?

It is a new house with the cable already ran throughout the house. The installers came out and simply installed the dish and plugged in the boxes. The only new cable went from the dish to the box on the outside of my house.

D* charged me as an installation charge. They keep repeating that their promotions only include 1 advanced receiver and 3 standard receivers. That any additional advance receivers are charged.

When I tell them I cant find this "charge" anywhere in their print they leave me on hold for 20 minutes or longer.

If I stay on the line any longer I am going to lose the $138 to my cell bill

argh...

I just recently had an installation. I asked for 1 HD/DVR, 2 HD Receivers, and 1 SD. I ended up ordering the service twice. Once over the phone, and then at Best Buy during their Black Friday Special..

This is confusing and probably has nothing to do with the problem but obviously one of the orders got canceled? It's also possible that you purchased through BB & got reimbursed through DTV (as they do that)?
Either way, irrelevant I think.

Each time I ordered I was never informed that there is an Installation charge for additional "Advanced Receivers". I was charged $138 for two receivers install. .

I don't believe the 'install' word is being used correctly here because you received 4 receivers; HD-DVR($199) HD1($99) HD2($99) SD1(Free). If your initial setup fee (including all those receivers) is $138.00 then you got a pretty good deal as they generally aren't giving all those receivers away for free even if you are a new customer.

I am very pissed off because I was never told about the additional charge. Don't get me wrong I understand the $99 fee for the rental/purchase of the boxes, but not to install it.

So are you saying you paid both $99 & $138.00 for a total of $237.00.

They stated it is common practice that their promotions only include one advanced receiver per account.

In general, they only hand out one advanced unit for free depending on the promotion & in this case it would be the HD-DVR; this would wipe out the $199.00 fee. That would leave two $99 charges & various shipping/handling charges with the entire "install" you mention being free.

Currently, if you purchased 4 SD receivers that required full installation & cable runs you would only be charged for shipping & handling.

If you purchased one advanced unit that required full installation & cable runs you would only be charged for shipping & handling.

We also need to know what kind of promotional programming package you received as part of this deal?

Here are the specifics:

Thank you for your help!

Initially ordered on Wed Nov 26th (Canceled on Sat Nov 29th; Confirmed)

Ordered at Best Buy on Nov 29th: Ordered the Choice Plus HD/DVR package. Included 3 months free of HBO, STARZ, Showtime, 3 months free HD, and the 12 month rebate plan of -$23.00.

Explained to the representative and the D* person on the phone that I was purchasing the 2 HD Receivers at Best Buy that day, but would want them installed on the day of installation. So break down--

HD/DVR - $199 ($199 Rebate from D*)
HD Receiver - $99 (purchased by me at Best Buy)
SD Receiver - $69 ($69 Rebate from D*)

I asked several times to both representatives and they stated there would be no additional charge for the receivers as long as they were at my home on the day of installation.

The day prior to the Install. The local installer called to go over my order. She stated she had 1 HD/DVR and 3 SD Receivers. I said that the work order was wrong that I should have 1 HD/DVR, 2 HD, and 1 SD installed, and that I have the 2 HD receivers.
She said no problem, changed the worker order.

No problem on installation day. Workers setup the dish, and connected all four boxes. No additional wiring needed.

I was charged $138 for 2 addtl receiver install on my bill. I thought maybe it was confusion over the SD/HD receiver install. I confirmed with D* that I only had 4 boxes connected. After about a 20 minute hold I was told that the charge was for additional "advanced receivers that were installed". I told them that I was not told of any additional install charges at the time of install, during my order, or that it is not anywhere in there small print. I was then placed on hold for a manager -- at the 1:45 minute mark I hung up.

Does this answer what you need?

HD/DVR - $199 ($199 Rebate from D*)
SD Receiver - $69 ($69 Rebate from D*)

No additional wiring needed.

Had this order only gone directly through DTV you still could have had this communication error between the third party installer & DTV billing. The purchase price for the hardware seems about right along with a nice bonus/reduced programming package but the install charge is incorrect. Had the installer needed to run cables to those advanced units (2 to the DVR & 1 to each HD/SD unit) you would likely be charged for the additional work. Having the installer walk up to each TV & plug in/activate each receiver & call that an extra charge is absurd.

Many problems arise due to the fact that DTV uses third party installers (& most are professional hard working people) & half the time DTV isn't informed on what actually occurred on-site during the install. I would look at my actual receipt (install work order) & see what kind of work he described doing at your home. If it mentions running cable to each receiver (2 to the DVR) then that is likely your problem. If you have the installers number you can also contact them for clarification on what exactly he/she had to do at your house.

Lets let a few installers here chime in to make sure these charges are indeed incorrect; if they agree & you get no satisfaction from DTV customer service via email I will put you in touch with somebody that can help you. The only thing I ask is that you completely tell the truth & keep it professional. :)

I am trying to email D*, but it says the account services are down.

I have asked all the questions I can about it being a mistake, and the D* service rep stated that the promotions only include 1 advanced receiver and 3 SD receivers. They stated the installation charge is because I had 2 additional advanced receivers installed. Again this does not make sense to me. It is not in their small legal print, was not on the contract I signed, and the customer reps who took my order did not mention one thing about additional charges. I was an E* customer for 5 years, and I knew that I needed to ask as many questions as possible. I asked several times if there were any additional charges. They stated there would be none as long as the receivers I purchased were at the house at the time of installation. They stated this is standard charges for additional advanced receivers. When I ask them where I can find this in writing, they put me on hold for a manager/supervisor. I really dont want to wait on hold any longer.

I promise to be very professional, I just want to track down why/where these charges are at. I feel this is also important for many people who plan to get D* and multiple advanced receivers.

so where is the $138? all you show is $198 for equipment costs.

If its your bill then you would have the

$74 for the Choice Extra
$9.95 for DVR access
$9.95 for HD access
$14.97 for lease fees on 3 boxes.
$20 Delivery or something

Which comes out to $130 for your first bill sans any taxes. Still trying to see the big picture, you may need to spell it out charge for charge as it appears, have you checked your account online and made sure there is only 4 boxes in your inventory?

so where is the $138? all you show is $198 for equipment costs.

If its your bill then you would have the

$74 for the Choice Extra
$9.95 for DVR access
$9.95 for HD access
$14.97 for lease fees on 3 boxes.
$20 Delivery or something

Which comes out to $130 for your first bill sans any taxes. Still trying to see the big picture, you may need to spell it out charge for charge as it appears, have you checked your account online and made sure there is only 4 boxes in your inventory?

I have tried to access my account online, but it says it is currently down.

Bill Reads:

Plus HD DVR Monthly - 72.99
HBO, STARZ, Showtime - 35.00
2 addtl receiver install - 138.00
Leased Receiver x 4 - 4.99
Tax and NC Video Services Tax

Again, I thought it was a mistake, but D* says it is for the 2 x advanced receivers.

Has anyone with multiple HD receivers paid this?

It is possible that they charge $70 per extra HD box to install it, it may just be a best buy add on charge... either way they do say free standard install for 4 rooms but I havnt seen anywhere were it says adv Equip may incur additional charges.

DIRECTV: Support : Installation : Professional Installation

Shows FREE

* Up to 125 feet of RG-6 cable per receiver.
* Routing all cables to one TV through an exterior wall or from basement.
* Connecting one DIRECTV receiver and all previously connected equipment.
* For DVR installations, connecting two satellite cables to the DVR.

Though the 125 feet is misleading fyi.

Chargeable..

* Routing cables through more than one wall or fishing cables between walls.
* Any additional work to hide or camouflage cables/wiring.
* Installing additional receivers or routing system to more than one TV outlet.
* Connecting system to stereo and/or components other than VCR.

Placing an order online only showed these charges...

Startup Costs

1 Handling and Delivery Fee
$0.00

1 DIRECTV® Receiver
$0.00

2 DIRECTV® HD Receiver
$198.00

1 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR Receiver
$199.00

Instant Online Rebate
-$199.00

1 Standard Professional Installation
$0.00

Total: $198.00

First Month's Bill

PLUS HD DVR— Locals Included
$72.99

HBO®
$14.00

Starz!®
$11.00

SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®
$10.00

ACCESS DIRECTV™ Magazine Subscription
Monthly
$0.00

DIRECTV DVR Service
$0.00

3 Lease Fee
$14.97

HD Access
$0.00

$9.99/mo. credit for HD Access for 3 months
-$9.99

$35/mo. credit for HBO, STARZ and SHOWTIME for 3 months
-$35.00

Total:* $77.97

Online redemption
-$23.00

Total:* $54.97

Granted this is before the credit check, but with your exact setup there were no extra charges, so imo its BS charge and I would fight it when you are not blowing up cell phone minutes, expect a 2 hour phone call.

I can answer this for you.
Your work order was incorrect.
The technician modified the WO for you( he didn't have to) through DTV work order integrity.
You got billed for the changes made to your order that you wanted. That is how the technician gets paid for any additional work they may have to do.
It was 79 dollars per additional IRD.

Lesson for all, don't buy stuff and have it sitting there for the tech to hook up if it isn't on the work order*not a damn note*, but a line item or you are going to have problems.

BMonty - I've sent you a private message with some contact info for a group that can take care of this issue for you. Please check the message, I am confident they can resolve your concern.

When you are all set with them, let us know back here if they took care of you ok.

I can answer this for you.
Your work order was incorrect.
The technician modified the WO for you( he didn't have to) through DTV work order integrity.
You got billed for the changes made to your order that you wanted. That is how the technician gets paid for any additional work they may have to do.
It was 79 dollars per additional IRD.

Lesson for all, don't buy stuff and have it sitting there for the tech to hook up if it isn't on the work order*not a damn note*, but a line item or you are going to have problems.

Good Call Mr Lok. forgot when you add C/O boxes with India they charge for install.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the help and comments. I am still waiting on a response from D*. It is the Holidays. I will let everyone know what they say once I get a response.

till then -- Merry Christmas!

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the help and comments. I am still waiting on a response from D*. It is the Holidays. I will let everyone know what they say once I get a response.

till then -- Merry Christmas!

You have like 30 days (i think). Threaten to return and cancel all services unless installation fee is removed. I am pretty sure they will do what they can to keep you as first customer.

You have like 30 days (i think). Threaten to return and cancel all services unless installation fee is removed. I am pretty sure they will do what they can to keep you as first customer.

It's 30 days only if your state has a law stating that...there's nothing in the DirecTV contract or terms of service that allow for you to cancel for no charge after the account has been activated.

Update:

First, I apologize for the tardiness in my update. I had the joys of having my first child over the holidays which put the D* issue on the back burner.

I made an additional call today; Short answer is that I was refunded the $138. I was told that it was an installation charge error and that it would be fixed. The Customer Care representative was incredible. Answered all of my questions. As he looked over the call log, he apologized from the conflicting information I was receiving from all of the previous customer representatives I had spoken to.

Needless to say that the professional service I received today will lead me to being a D* customer for a long time, and my lesson learned is to keep calling and trying to work it out. I would not have been able to resolve the issue without this forum.

Thank you to everyone for the help.

Update:

First, I apologize for the tardiness in my update. I had the joys of having my first child over the holidays which put the D* issue on the back burner.

I made an additional call today; Short answer is that I was refunded the $138. I was told that it was an installation charge error and that it would be fixed. The Customer Care representative was incredible. Answered all of my questions. As he looked over the call log, he apologized from the conflicting information I was receiving from all of the previous customer representatives I had spoken to.

Needless to say that the professional service I received today will lead me to being a D* customer for a long time, and my lesson learned is to keep calling and trying to work it out. I would not have been able to resolve the issue without this forum.

Thank you to everyone for the help.

Glad everything worked out!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)