Extra receiver compatibility & pricing

The hard drive on a 211 is not compatible with a hopper you can't move programming from the hopper to the 211, bye bye to the kids programming start recording all over again. Put a joey back on the account and add a second hard drive to the hopper.

Im not looking to share programming between the 211 and the Hopper.

comfortably_numb wants to stay comfortably numb by keeping his recordings separate. :)

I had a Hopper with 2 Joey's. I just returned one of the Joey's to Dish, so now I have a Hopper and one Joey. Could I purchase (from Ebay or wherever) a standalone receiver like a 211 and plug it in where the previous Joey was? If not, how much more is it to have 2 Hopper's? Do they work independently of each other? Never tried this before, and I don't want to spend a lot of $$$$$$$$ :popcorn

Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

2nd hopper would be 12/month. Joey was 7.

In reality, if you want to add a 211 you don't need another line from the dish if you have an EA Twin. You would only need a 44 switch (even better would be a 33, no power inserter). The EA twin only needs 2 lines to the switch, but they MUST be attached to ports 1 and 2 on the LNB. If you are looking at the ports it would be the first 2 on the left. From the switch, you would run port 1 to the Power Inserter/211, and ports 2 and 3 to your node.

Confused enough? Just put that 2nd Joey back on your account and call it a day. In the long run, you're going to pay MORE to add a 211. Cost of receiver, cost of switch, cost of EHD activation fee, same $7 monthly fee. Sheesh, just leave well enough alone. Put some content ratings or parental controls on the DVR.

In reality, if you want to add a 211 you don't need another line from the dish if you have an EA Twin. You would only need a 44 switch (even better would be a 33, no power inserter). The EA twin only needs 2 lines to the switch, but they MUST be attached to ports 1 and 2 on the LNB. If you are looking at the ports it would be the first 2 on the left. From the switch, you would run port 1 to the Power Inserter/211, and ports 2 and 3 to your node.

Confused enough? Just put that 2nd Joey back on your account and call it a day. In the long run, you're going to pay MORE to add a 211. Cost of receiver, cost of switch, cost of EHD activation fee, same $7 monthly fee. Sheesh, just leave well enough alone. Put some content ratings or parental controls on the DVR.

Im going to run a separate feed from the LNB to the 211. Does the LNB rely on the Hopper for power or can the 211 power the LNB by itself (if the Hopper were unplugged for whatever reason)

If you have programming you don't want your kids to access, just move them from the Hopper to an ehd as soon as you record them. They cannot be accessed from a Joey or you can disconnect that ehd and lock it up.

I had a Hopper with 2 Joey's. I just returned one of the Joey's to Dish, so now I have a Hopper and one Joey. Could I purchase (from Ebay or wherever) a standalone receiver like a 211 and plug it in where the previous Joey was? If not, how much more is it to have 2 Hopper's? Do they work independently of each other? Never tried this before, and I don't want to spend a lot of $$$$$$$$ :popcorn

Back to your original question . . .

Hoppers can be networked so that they "see" each other or they are independent of each other.

For independence, you use Isolators.

A 2nd Hopper, instead of the single Joey, would cost $5 more per month.

If you have programming you don't want your kids to access, just move them from the Hopper to an ehd as soon as you record them. They cannot be accessed from a Joey or you can disconnect that ehd and lock it up.

Actually you can access the EHD from a Joey.

Ok I've got my 211 connected and all my regular channels work great, but on my locals I get the message "You cannot view this channel outside your viewing area." What the heck? My locals work fine on my Hopper and I'm definitely in the right spot beam. They've re-authorized the box several times and nothing changes. Signal levels all good on 61.5 and 72.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts