Fathers Day trip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
We went on a Father's Day dish pick-up run and stopped at an RV park overnight and as I went to empty the trash, I SAW. I looked closer and it was. It was a 1.2 Meter primestar dish, with mount, but minus the tripod arms for the LNBF.. I asked the manager of the business - the garbage hauler would not take it. It had been there for 2 years. Well, this is a happy Fathers day present. I have searched for information on the arms (parts list says legs) and I found the part numbers but so far no source for them, or specs.
I can post pictures, since the RV park has high-speed Wi-Fi!
Anyone have one they can give me measurements from?

Attachments

• DSCN0243.JPG
    DSCN0243.JPG
    578.4 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCN0242.JPG
    DSCN0242.JPG
    892.6 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN0240.JPG
    DSCN0240.JPG
    876.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Thanks, Bob and Iceberg. I searched some more and found a post by Tron in '06 that he had salvaged one. He did not say if he kept the parts or if he repaired it or??? The Mold # is 1.2M-1 with part Number 3040646. I did not know if my laptop or Wi-Fi here would keep working so I rushed to post the description and pictures. Something did go down but all is back up and I have been searching. I think I can bend new legs if I can get a print or tracing, and maybe if I can even get some good measurements! It has the 3"post mount. It had one hornets' nest on it that I destroyed before I moved it to the RV site.

whoa !

You've done well. Very well. - :up

And as you have observed, those sort of dishes handle your high winds a lot better.
The big mounting post helps, too, I'm sure.

I wouldn't sweat the LNB mounting distance.
We'll find you some manufacturer's drawings, or other measurements.
Considering how nice the mount is, I might even try working it out with nothing but a circular LNB and a signal meter. - :D - *
I predict a bright future for that dish.

Congratulations.

* how to:
- find 119º (it's about due south of you) with an 18" dish
- twist the 1.2m to the same direction (azimuth)
- dial in the proper elevation on the mount of the 1.2
- follow a line perpendicular to the 1.2 dish surface (doh) toward the sky
- locate (by hand?) a circular LNB along this line, adjusting only for distance from dish and height
- use a $10 meter to read the signal
- you should find the hot spot easily (30 seconds max, or 2 minutes if someone helps) - ;)
- put your LNB mount there (fine tune as desired with a linear LNB and satellite)

if that part of the sky has too many hot birds, you could probably use 148º instead

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, Anole. I think the first thing I will try is taking a piece of conduit in the lower hole and run a circlular LNB out on it, by hand! That sound like a good way to try it. Now to find a circular LNB that works! I suppose I can pull the one I have for NASA off.
Then one other thing I might need, since it is not branded as Primestar anywhere is a LOGO. A lizard would be nice. However, it would need to be brown to match those we see around here!

and the reason for the trip

Well, now I have some pictures that show the reason we made the trip to begin with. Thank you to a great sat guy who may identify himself but I forgot to ask permission, but he delivered a matched set of eight 75E dishes, mounts and LNBFs to us. The pictures are in mixed light and positioned to hide the identity a bit.
BUT Thanks to this website, I have had a wonderful "Father's Day". Hope yours has been as good.

EDIT: 7 = 75E and 1 = 85E !!! Plus the 1.2 meter from this morning!

Attachments

• DSCN0245.JPG
    DSCN0245.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 248
  • DSCN0246.JPG
    DSCN0246.JPG
    948.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
We went on a Father's Day dish pick-up run and stopped at an RV park overnight and as I went to empty the trash, I SAW. I looked closer and it was. It was a 1.2 Meter primestar dish, with mount, but minus the tripod arms for the LNBF.. I asked the manager of the business - the garbage hauler would not take it. It had been there for 2 years. Well, this is a happy Fathers day present. I have searched for information on the arms (parts list says legs) and I found the part numbers but so far no source for them, or specs.
I can post pictures, since the RV park has high-speed Wi-Fi!
Anyone have one they can give me measurements from?

I have one, and I can get you measurements, but it would be much better to call Dow and get the right parts. Last time I checked they were decently cheap...a set for a 1 meter was about 16 bux so a set for a 1.2 meter should be $25 or less.

oh, yea !

Sure, absolutely. If you can get original parts, go for it!

And now, there'll be no more talk about motors on your dish farm, with that lovely collection of commercial dishes!
Ya bolt these beauties down, and I suspect wind will no longer be your enemy.
I recall the trouble ya had with the stamped steel dishes, in your little corner of hell. :rolleyes:

Nice pix. Nice haul. Great day!

RV1pop, I have the bottom pole of the three pole set, the other two were bent so I left them. I can give you the measurements from that pole, if it helps. I'm pretty sure Dow will have the replacement parts including the LNB/feed holder, which is very important. The feed holder on this one was destroyed, and the feedhorn/waveguide/LNB assembly was missing.

This was a salvage operation after Katrina, and that storm with its 140 mph winds really did a number on all fiberglass dishes in my area. Fortunately, my 1 meter Channel Master was safe inside, or it would have been totally destroyed.

The dish I salvaged had the same AZ-EL mount as the one in your pictures. It mounts to a 3" pole. The reflector itself was badly cracked, so I left it. I believe its still sitting next to the dumpster where it was nearly three years ago :rolleyes:

Nice find Pop! Sorry to hijack the thread, but is that your truck with a Seaeagle strapped to the top?
Not my truck. Our motor home is behind the 1.2 M dish. We are about the only RV site without a least one boat or golf cart! And we are the only site with 9 satellite dishes! There is one with 3 Dish Network and one DirecTV dishes, however!

Thanks Tron, for the information.
As I looked at the pictures I noticed a crack on the right upper side. So, I looked at the dish itself and there is a rather crack about 8 inches long. I may want to try to make legs and check out if it is still usable. Looking at it closely, I do not think it will hurt too much, and I will do string test once I get it home.
The bottom leg is the most important for setup. I am not sure I want to use a stock ChannelMaster LNB on it since I bought a bunch of Sadoun's Dual out put Standard LNBFs and I want to be sure whoever gets to maintain the system in the future will be able to get parts.

VOOMVOOM;
that looks like a good idea. I will have to call them and check on shipping etc. Thank you. It does not appear to have the collar with it, but I can see about making one, or they make have it in stock, I see they have a complete feedhorn kit.
POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)