Fibre LNB's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Se09

Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
NY
Hi Guys, just a quick question as to the use of Fibre LNB's in North America, does anyone have experience with these? specifically the ones i see are designed with the European market in mind - IE 10.7-12.75 and quattro multiswitches. does anyone know how they will cope with 10.9-11.7 with a dual multiswitch..? and can recommend a supplier?

thanks in advance.

My only question is: why? (Unless you want to share a dish in your apartment building.)
<<"The Optical LNB is a high quality, high performance universal LNB. In addition to excellent LNB performance it provides a 1310 nm wideband optical output where all four satellite polarities are stacked into one frequency range (950-5450 MHz).
The Global Invacom Fibre Optic LNB has a single optical output which converts signals from 1 satellite to an optical signal. The LNB has a standard 40mm feed horn for mounting on a standard 80cm offset satellite dish.
The output of the LNB can be distributed, using single mode fibre optic cable, through a Passive Optical Network (PON) of up to 32 points (over short or long distances).
At each of the potential 32 points the Fibre Optic LNB is distributed to, the fibre can be connected to a Global Invacom Virtual Twin, Virtual Quad or Virtual Quattro for conversion back to IF (coaxial cable).
The Global Invacom Fibre LNB also has a standard F connector output which is used to provide power to the LNB via coaxial cable connected to a DC Inserter (DSI) and Power Supply (PSU) both are supplied with the Fibre Optic LNB.
Global Invacom?s FibreMDU range enables up to 32 homes, multiswitchs or combination of both to receive all digital signals from one satellite via a single 3mm fibre optic cable.
">>
I guess, I don't see the need here in N.A.

I know they are fairly new you might want to ask your questions on one of the Euro forums since those are sold over in europe now. I have read the reviews and they all seem to be excellent. since the cost of the cable,fittings and switches have come down I would say in a few years we will seem them in this country. Fibre cable for the home networking is still at a premium price so it will be a while before we see them in North America.

I've used Invacom fibre LNBs in a huge 120 apartment block in Dubai in the Mid east. As you say cable size is an advantage, you can compressed air blow it over long runs through good conduit, but that 's where it ends, signal is as good as the fibre end polishing and it is time consuming. Fibre Optic is too easily prone to damage. A power failure (for whatever reason) to the LNB head end knocks everyone out and the overall costs are horrendous. eg LNBs around $450.
Would I use it again - Never

Status
Please reply by conversation.