Finding Local Uplink Data

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elburn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Maine
Does anyone know if there is a database that holds information on how local news agencies uplink their data for news feeds?

Sort of like all RF broadcasters need to register their freqs with the FCC?.

I was hoping I could find what satellites local news channels use, without working to hard :).

some stations use microwave to transmit unless they are way out fo the area, which then they will use satellite

but bob is right.....blind scan receiver and motor :)

Well, does that mean that satellite trucks can uplink to whatever satellite they feel like (that has a beam in their area)?

I would imagine if we had an "insider" with one of the companies, we possibly could get them to contribute some stuff to WUT, but I would imagine their employers would not look too highly on that.

timmy1376 said:
I would imagine if we had an "insider" with one of the companies, we possibly could get them to contribute some stuff to WUT, but I would imagine their employers would not look too highly on that.

I would imagine they wouldn't work there much longer if they did tell us. :)

My guess was that, if news channels can't use satellite transponders all willy-nilly, they must have to rent, or own them for when they have live feeds.

And in that case, I was hoping there was a place to find that information.

But I guess not.

I know they have to 'rent' satellite time, they'll call whoever owns or controls a given sat. tells them date and time they need to uplink, the company will then tell them what transp. etc.. they'll be using. It seem like the same networks use the same satellite whenever they need to uplink, i.e. ABC Minneapolis (KSTP) uses AMC9 digital when they are 'out and about.'

From my brief experience it looks like the big guys have dedicated feeds just for them. IA6 has CBS and Fox feeds full-time-24/7. The little local affiliates (such as my own WIVB in Buffalo) appear to pay by the hour as they will come on the satellite about five minutes ahead of time and go off right after they are through. And they do seem to use the same birds most of the time-WIVB usually uses AMC 5.

Maybe I can chase down a sat truck from WIS Columbia, SC and find out what satellite they are pointing at. Should be pretty easy to figure out with a compass and survey tool.

They call lawyers "Abulance Chasers", so what does that make me?

"Satellite Chaser" :D

One time I was walking past Hulman Center and there was a satellite truck there that was uplinking the visiting teams broadcast for a basketball game with Indiana State. The engineer was hooking up some cable so I walked up to the guy and ask what "satellite are you using?" He said "Telstar 6," I went home and watched the game. I was surprised that he told me. :shocked

I joined the Yahoo backhaul news group and it has flooded my email in box with satellite backhaul information. Some of the email addresses leads one to think that the sender works on a satellite truck or an uplink service. Lots of the transponder information is posted several days in advance which is another indication that they do share the uplink information with the public. Check the link below for more information.

Harold

http://tv.dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/Entertainment___Arts/Television/Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)