Firmware Upgrades for Pansat Receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
With my new Pansat 3500SD scheduled for delivery tomorrow, I wouldn't mind first upgrading its firmware to the most recent version, assuming an upgrade is available, prior to setting up and experimenting with my FTA system. That said, does anyone know if firmware upgrades for the Pansat 3500 are available, and if so, where are they available for download? I wasn't able to locate any information about firmware upgrades on Pansat's website, however I may have just been looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!

Duh...I guess checking under the "Downloads" section might have been a good place to look :)

I was looking through the instruction document for the Pansat 3500 firmware upgrade, and in addition to using a null modem cable for firmware upgrades, I'm still a little unclear as to whether an SD card can be used for a firmware upgrade as well. There are instructions for SD card operation, however from what I gather, the "Flash Upgrade" and "Flash Backup" procedures with the SD card seem to be describing the process of uploading and downloading channel listings as opposed to firmware, but I may be mistaken.

Also, in the GTRom Loader software packaged with the firmware upgrade .bin file, there is an option of selecting the file type as "App File Only", "Channel Data File", or "Boot File Only". What is the difference between these three options, and which would be the proper choice when upgrading firmware?

I located the SD memory section in the 3500's manual, and under SD Card to Receiver transfers, there's mention of selecting either a version code or CH data .bin file for transfer to the receiver. However, if both firmware upgrades and channel listing files have the same .bin extension, how does the receiver know whether your intent is to upgrade firmware or the channel listing?

There's also mention of "flash backup" functinon using an SD card, but I can't seem to figure out whether this creates a firmware backup, or rather a channel listing backup file that can be transferred to a computer for editing.

I guess I'm still a little unclear as to whether firmware and channel listings are both part of a single file, or whether they're completely separate.

I'm sure they are completely separate. I've had my Pamsat for maybe a year now. When I 1st got it I used it for a Firmware upgrade, not since. I also did a channel backup, but have not used or had to use it yet.

Al

thanks for reminding me...

I need to upgrade to the latest files. When you get the Pansat, I think it'll be easier to understand what's going on. You have folders called channel, etc. My understanding is that the bins go in to the proper folders, i.e. channel folder for channels, mp3 folder for mp3s, etc. on the card. I think the backup thing basically just takes the data you have and makes a copy of it to the sd card. If you have a camera memory card reader on your computer you can plop the sd card directly in to the computer with the files from the pansat, using the sd card just like a floppy disk basically.

I'm guessing you just copy the bin files in to the sd card in the right folder, put the sd card in the receiver, open up the bin and it'll automatically do the upgrade?

I think the firmware and channel bin files are seperate entities... totally different bin files, both using the same .bin file extension.

Last edited:
I was doing a little research regarding firmware and channel listing uploads/downloads to/from the Pansat 3500 via SD card and located the following writeup elsewhere that I thought I'd share with anyone else who was curious about this topic. Evidently, it is possible to download and upload both firmware and channel listings to the 3500 through the SD card. Assuming that I'm understanding correctly that both firmware backups and uploads are possible, I think it's great that prior to upgrading my new receiver to Pansat's latest firmware, I can backup the original factory firmware in case I run into problems with the newer version. Anyway, here's what I found (I just did a copy and paste):

A. USING THE 3500 TO CREATE BACKUP DATA

1. Place SD card in 3500.

2. Enter Menu, scroll down to SD memory, press OK. Three folders will have been created on the SD card but they will be empty (this formats the SD card).

3. Scroll down to Code Backup press OK (screen will be blank), then press RED button on lower left of remote, use left arrow to go to YES and press OK (to confirm). You will have to name the bin file so name it whatever you want using the popup screen (keep the name short - 6 letters/numbers or less- something like 118bin). After naming the bin file scroll to and highlight OK on screen then press OK on remote. You will see the backup file being loaded to the card. When you see COMPLETE on the screen you're done. Press EXIT and you will see that the bin backup is in the Code Backup file folder.

4. Press EXIT once more. You will be back to the main SD screen. Scroll down to CH Data Backup and press OK then press RED button on lower left of remote again, use left arrow to go to YES and press OK (to confirm). You will have to name the channel list file so name it whatever you want using the popup screen (keep the name short - 6 letters/numbers or less- something like MyList). After naming the channel list file scroll to and highlight OK on screen then press OK on remote. When you see COMPLETE on the screen you're done. Press EXIT and you will see that the backup Channel List bin is in the CH Data Backup file folder.

5. Removing card from 3500. WARNING! NEVER REMOVE SD CARD FROM 3500 WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN SD MEMORY ON 3500. EXIT ALL BEFORE REMOVING CARD.

6. You now have backup files you can now use at your discretion and at a latter date if the need arises.

B. USING A CARD READER TO CREATE BACKUP DATA

1. Place SD card in 3500.

2. Enter Menu, scroll down to SD memory, press OK. Files will have been created on the SD card but they will be empty (this formats the SD card).

3. Remove card from 3500.

WARNING! DO NOT REMOVE SD CARD FROM 3500 WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN SD MEMORY ON 3500. EXIT ALL BEFORE REMOVING.

4. Go to PC and place SD card in Card Reader.

5. Double click on My Computer and you will see Removable Disk H (could be some other letter besides H -depends on what letter your computer assigns to it).

6. Double click on Removable Disk (H) and you will see file folders have been created there but when you open them they will be empty.

7. Open the Code Backup file folder and drag the 118 (Test) bin from the file where you have stored it and drop it in the Code Backup folder.

8. Open the CH Data Backup file folder and drag your channel list from where you have stored it and drop in the CH Data Backup folder.

9. Make sure you shut down the Removable Disk (H) (with "Unplug or Eject Hardware" Icon Arrow in your PC Task bar) before removing SD card from card reader.

10. Place SD card in 3500. Access SD memory again and open either file and you will see that the bins you placed there are ready for you to load them to the 3500.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)