FIRST LOOK - ViP 922 Slingloaded DVR

Any word to whether or not there will ever be independent viewing like on the other recievers. I dont use this feature much but do need to from time to time. My 722 is on the fritz and i am debating whether or not just to add the DHPP and get a new 722 or going ahead and upgrading to the 922.

Is the search function predictive, ala Tivo? As you type characters, the list of shows narrows itself down? Or do you have to type the entire show title then press search?

Thanks!

Is the search function predictive, ala Tivo? As you type characters, the list of shows narrows itself down? Or do you have to type the entire show title then press search?

Thanks!

Yes, it is just like the way Tivo used to do it (I haven't had a Tivo since the series 2 so I'm not sure if it is still that way). As you type letters it narrows it down.

Thanks Scott, good review. When watching a timer program that is still recording, is there now a stop and resume button if you want to stop watching it or is it still like the present DVRs and you have to stop recording it or switch to live mode TV?

Does anybody know if you use the Sling 300 receiver in another room if you will be able to actually watch another channel independently to what is being shown on tv1? So basically a tv2? or is it only recorded content? I feel that this is going to be a huge flop for Dish if they don't include tv2 option immediately.

Swap Tuner Feature?

I've seen a lot of back and forth on the capabilities of the TV2 function on the 922. However, I haven't seen anyone confirm that you can pause one live feed on a tuner and then swap to the other tuner to watch a different program and vice versa. I'm assuming this is possible since the PIP function is clearly available and it works under the same principle. Can anyone confirm that this feature is indeed included on the 922? Thanks!

I've seen a lot of back and forth on the capabilities of the TV2 function on the 922. However, I haven't seen anyone confirm that you can pause one live feed on a tuner and then swap to the other tuner to watch a different program and vice versa. I'm assuming this is possible since the PIP function is clearly available and it works under the same principle. Can anyone confirm that this feature is indeed included on the 922? Thanks!

The CSR on the phone told me the TV1 and TV2 act just like the 622/722 minus the ability to add a 2nd TV to TV2. He was not able to confirm the "sticky" buffer which holds the pause if you swap tuners. It seems with each sw update on my 622 that feature comes and goes.

Scott has a section on PIP in his first look document. The swap feature is one of the options.

Just a note on terminology. The PIP is only available only in single mode. There are two tuners which can swap when in single mode. TV2 as such is disabled and only comes on when using the sling function.

I'm currently using just one 622 in Single Mode and I have a few questions about the 922:

1) I bought a 21.0 UHF remote off of eBay that works with my 622, will it still work with the 922?

2) My 622 seems to have a limit of around 90-95 timers and a total of around 574 events, does the 922 have the same limits or something else?

3) When both sat tuners are recording on the 922, can I connect with the Sling option to view something that's already recorded without disrupting the current 2 recordings?

Thanks!

Scott, can you answer my questions? Thanks!

Hey Scoot great review. I was just wondering if the 30.0 Touch Remote will be available. Even though you say the 32.0 922 Remote is very good I really like the 30.0 Touch Remote....I am wondering why did they advertise the touch remote so much....
Youtube link:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACaG3fwiYEQ]YouTube - Dish 922 Demonstration[/ame]

SD question

Hi folks, I'm a long time lurker who finally was unable to find an answer I needed by searching the site so I joined:)

I am curious if anyone has hooked up the 922 to a SD TV. I would like to know how it looks. I know, I know, why would I want to do this. Well we have a 40" HD set in the bedroom connected to a Dish 501 and a 54" JVC SD set with a Dish 510 in the family room. I want HD in the bedroom (my old eyes would like a sharper picture after I take my glasses off at night) and a dual tuner DVR for the main TV (too often they schedule 2 shows I like at the same time these days).

At this point I would hate to buy/lease a new dual tuner SD unit since I am sure my 14 year old big screen would die the next day (Murphy's law) and I would end up upgrading again right away without being able to get a good deal right away. As it is even if the 54" doesn't die I might upgrade it to a shiney new HD LED set by the end of the year anyway.

Also as I understand it I can Sling HD to my computer or laptop over my 100gb home network and 80211N wireless from the 922, right?

Thanks for the great site and to all the helpful folks who hang out here!

Rick

Last edited:
Sorry for the typo Scott. Also Scott, It says Vip 922 Sling loaded DVR on Dish Networks web page. Isn't it suppose to be Duo DVR Vip 922? Kinda confused...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)