first time set-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vixens, I don't know if using a 9 ft dish will work. You may not be able to find a focus point for three satellites. Maybe with them being so closely spaced it's possible, but it won't be easy. Good luck though. Let us know how it goes.

the issue is that LNB is designed for a slimline dish...the larger the dish the further apart the LNB spacing is so that LNB wont work

Iceberg, exactly, that's what I am afraid of . . . that could be the problem !

However, the standard dishes are oval with a different curve than a large off-set dish.
Tomorrow I will test the 9 foot off-set sat dish with a Shaw Direct receiver and two standard linear KU LNBs.

The Shaw sats 107W and 111W are four (4) degrees apart in the sky. I will see how much distance in inches the two LNBs need to be apart.
This will give me an idea about the the spacing required for 99W/101W/103W.

I saw once a Shaw set up on a 6 foot dish and the LNBs were close together, tied up side by side, maybe 3 inches from center to center.
That means: 4 degrees in the sky means 3 inches for the LNBs apart on a 6 foot dish.
Converted to 99/101/103W it would require a 1.5 inches space between each LNB center.

Can somebody measure how much the distance is in inches between each LNB on the Ka/Ku triple LNB ?

Thanks !

p.s. Somehow I see myself already at the electronic store cutting that Ka/ku lnb apart and try to connect it again with larger spaces. wondering if that's possible.

Last edited:
Here is the Directv setup I would like to accomplish.

This is for a 8 foot dish for 99W, 101W and 103W way South of the border. This is a non SWiM set up.
I will be using non-SWM lnbs and an HR22 dual receiver.

Who can help me especially with the switches ? (this is a set up for 2 receivers or one dual receiver, so I guess)
Will I be needing a Directv AIM meter for tuning or will the receiver show me the signal for Ka?

This is my first time ever setup on Directv.
Thanks !
Directv 1.JPGDirectv 2.JPGDirectv 3.JPG

I still think you are unlikely to get this working. There are no switches that will support this configuration.
The SWM8 or WB68 multiswitches both require four connections to the dish. Two connections carry the 99 and 101 signals, two connections carry the 103/110/119 signals. Since you are not looking at 119 you MUST use an SWM8 because of the way guide data is carried. But you need to merge and switch the 101 and 99 signals before they get to the SWM8 and that is normally done within the LNB itself, and as far as I know there are no external switches using DirecTV's technology.
Also the Ku LNBs within the Ka/Ku assemblies will still be active and you might pick up signals from other satellites which will be passed to the SWM8 in error.

The 101 is in the middle; the lnbs for 99 and 103 are set to the sides and only one of the 3 feethorns is used with two blank. The 2 blank feethorns are below the arch.
How can the signals be combined ?

I still think you are unlikely to get this working. There are no switches that will support this configuration.
The SWM8 or WB68 multiswitches both require four connections to the dish. Two connections carry the 99 and 101 signals, two connections carry the 103/110/119 signals. Since you are not looking at 119 you MUST use an SWM8 because of the way guide data is carried. But you need to merge and switch the 101 and 99 signals before they get to the SWM8 and that is normally done within the LNB itself, and as far as I know there are no external switches using DirecTV's technology.
Also the Ku LNBs within the Ka/Ku assemblies will still be active and you might pick up signals from other satellites which will be passed to the SWM8 in error.

The 101 is in the middle; the lnbs for 99 and 103 are set to the sides and only one of the 3 feethorns is used with two blank. The 2 blank feethorns are below the arch.
How can the signals be combined ?

You have been asking for our advice on this project for a while, and you have been given the same advice for a while.

If you have seen it working, you should go and ask whoever did it how they did it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts