First Time Tuning For HD Advice Wanted

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks Chip!! From the site I can get a 3' "Premium" piece for $5 .........in your opinion will it do me any better than the one I have??

Thanks,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it I always say! If the cable you have is working, don't bother replacing it. It's unlikely a new one at any price will give you a better picture or sound.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it I always say! If the cable you have is working, don't bother replacing it. It's unlikely a new one at any price will give you a better picture or sound.
O.K. good to know. One more quick one about the HR24............just curious, once I have something recorded on it, is there a way copy it to a zip drive so I could burn it to dvd (I assume that you cannot but thought I'd ask).

Thanks!!

O.K. good to know. One more quick one about the HR24............just curious, once I have something recorded on it, is there a way copy it to a zip drive so I could burn it to dvd (I assume that you cannot but thought I'd ask).

Thanks!!

Not to a zip drive. You can record it in real time to a dvd recorder or :eek: vhs.

Setting up the Slimline dish today :) One question though, in the box is a splitter--"Zinwell" MSPLIT4R1-03 4-Way Wide Band Splitter (2-2150 MHz). Our set up consists of one HR24 and one tv. Do I need to use the splitter or can the cable come from the dish to the power inserter and then to the receiver?

Thanks!!

No splitter needed if you are using only one dvr.

I dont think you need the splitter since its just one receiver and one line

LNB---------------------power inserter-------------sat 1 on the HR24

Thanks guys!! Common sence told me that I didn't need it with only 1 receiver but wasn't 100% sure so I went to the experts.

Hi Guys,

Looking at my current 101 signal strength (with my 18" round SD dish, I have 32 transponders and all but 2 of them are in the mid 90's with with number 18 at a zero. Been this way for over 10 yrs and only lost signal for a few minutes in HEAVY rain over the yrs. Just wondering when I tune for the SWM, are there certain transponders that I should target for a high number or just the majority? Just to refresh me, I am going to tune for the best I can get on the 101 and then check and tweak for the 99 and then the 103. Am I on the right track??

Thanks!!!!!!

yes thats the best thing to do.

Find 101 then fine tune (dither) for the HD sats. Now note you will have to skew the dish (the old 18" dish you didnt have to)

Totally frustrated......... spent the last 5 hrs trying to get the 101 and could not get out of the zeros. Once it got dark I thgought that I would just put back up the old 18" round to at least have tv. Well..............installed it inthe same holes so it definately has not moved and I cannot get a signal. Can anyone tell me what configuration setting I should do on the HR24 to get this back working? When I activeatd it a few weeks ago, CS had me make a change that did not seem to make sence and then it got the signal but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was--it was either the dish type,switch type of the tuner. BTw, it is a single wire from the 18" to one receiver. Any help??? I'll play around with the Slimline another day but for now I'd like to get back what I had a few hours ago.

Thanks!!

I think I may has mis-read but if I didn't, putting a dish up in the "same mount holes" as another dish doesn't necessarily mean its aimed at the correct azimuth anymore. Are you using a heading compass to aim and are you sure the mast is plumb / level and you are using the correct coordinates?

I would guess they had you change the dish type.

I just put back up my 18' round in the same holes it was in for the last 11 yrs--the Slimline one required new holes. Since I took the old dish down as a complete unit I figured that it would be pretty well aimed as before.

That won't always be the case. Even if your base mount at the roof (or whatever) is changed by a degree or 2; now multiply that by 22,000 miles away in the Clarke Belt and your now way off.

Makes sence. I just figured that it would be close enough to get some signal rather than all 0's since I had it at 90+ for the most part.

I'm a MORON!!! Just checked the back of the receiver and seen that I had accidently screwed the sat cable into my old dvr instead of the receiver!! To my defence, it sits right above it on the shelf and there is very little room back there and it is quite dark but still, I should have checked better. Now at least the old dish is back working and he signal strength is mainly in the 90's. Having said all that, I can't honestly say that I had it hooked up wrong when we tried to aim the Slimline but I'll know what NOT o do.

O.K. maybe this question will slightly redeem myself :) While aiming, which screen should I have up--the one that shows all 32 txpdrs OR the signal meter screen? Also, will the txpdr screen show real time or do I need to refresh it after each movement of the dish??

Thanks!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.