First true Sirius test review

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Well, I made my first road trip since getting the Sirius JVC PnP unit in July. I drove from Clarksville, IN to Columbia, SC. It's 490 miles each way. The cities I go through are Louisville KY, Lexington KY, Knoxville TN, Asheville NC, Spartanburg SC and finally Columbia SC. I know Louisville has a terrestrial repeater since my job is in Louisville, but I noticed that the only other city to have one is Lexington. I figured since UK is there that is why. I'm surprised Knoxville and Columbia don't have them since they are also college towns.

Both ways the signal was excellent. The only times the signal went out was when I went through the 2 tunnels in western NC that I knew I would lose it in. Since I'm still on FM Modulation I had to keep switching frequencies when I got to every major city. That wasn't Sirius's fault. I am very pleased with the service that I got. Sirius is definately a keeper. My best friend is even thinking of getting it. He doesn't like the size of the JVC (I'm not a big fan of it but got a great deal on it so I won't complain). I showed him the Audiovox unit and he liked the size of it. Both he and his wife toyed with it in the car.

I really liked the threesome weekend idea that Buzzsaw did. I had a lot of good music to listen to both ways on the trip. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Be careful you are dangerously close of becoming hooked on Sirius. ;) Great review!

man ya shoulda hollered or something, you came right by here(almost)
I could met you on the road from Knoxville to Ashville for ribs or something

glad you had a good trip

..Dale

I bought my Sirius radio for my families' annual trip to my in-laws in Mexico. I live in Las Vegas and we have the terrestrial set-up here so it always works fine in town. The first test for Sirius was going through Hoover Dam. I expected a signal loss somewhere in the dam, as you travel down with rocks on both sides...never lost a signal. Next stretch was 240 miles through the desert to Phoenix...again never a lost signal. We made our way to the Mexico border and still hadn't lost the signal. Once we past Nogales Arizona, we were in Mexico. We travel 320 miles south of the border to get to my in-laws' house. Guess what??? I made it all the way and enjoyed Sirius music even at my in-law's house. For them, listening to the 50's channel was pure heaven. They hadn't heard those songs since they first got together many years ago. And for me, listening to English music south of the border without having to bring a CD case was wonderful. I even got to listen to the O'Reilly Factor. Sirius has a place in my mini-van for years to come.

It's kind of strange, isn't it, that you can drive and drive and not have to worry about finding a new station :)

The only thing that really bugs me is Pat St. John, he talks WAY TOO MUCH compared to the other stream jockies. It's almost like he's paid by the word so he has to ramble on all the time.

Neutron said:
I really liked the threesome weekend idea that Buzzsaw did. I had a lot of good music to listen to both ways on the trip. :)
I went to the local forest camping and visiting friends Mon and returned today (wed) I loved the threesome deal on Buzzsaw,(that was all I listened to on the way up) I wish they would keep it up.

Middle of no-where Kansas (and Kansas City)

I have had Sirius for a little over a month now in my car and travel from Western Kansas (Plainville, KS near Hays) to Kansas City frequently. It is a little over 300 miles one way and I never loss signal at all.

I went from Lexington, Ky to OKC this past week. Never lost the signal. I really liked listening to all the NFL games last Sunday coming back and not having to scan the through radio stations trying to find games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)